• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you think the virus or the vaccine caused this?

Tim Garner

ImageCo
I don't care for the gradient but it's not a terrible design and I kind of like the subtle electrical plug hidden in it. However, it's too severe of a change that is going to p*ss off their base, which appears to be everybody in the sign industry.

Schwabby

Graphic Designer/Project Manager
I guarantee you, part of the reason why it looks so old is that it took GM like seven years to get every department's approval."

The comments on this are hysterical!
Having worked at GM the quote from the Road and Track people is so highly accurate and so, so funny! Never a dull moment around this forum!

signbrad

Most logo revisions are unpopular. Remember when Gap, the clothing store, tried to change their logo? The hoo-ha was deafening, mostly from the armchair (wannabee) designer crowd. The online disapproval was so loud that the company reverted to its old logo. (This was also a comment on the immense power of social media).

But, really, I think people just don't like change. Remember clear Pepsi-Cola? Some people acted like it was a moral outrage. Or when I changed my hair color. "You're in your 60s! Have you no decency!" Or when I wanted to change my name to Pixel (I was threatened). It remains to be seen whether clear Coke survives. It was rolled out in Japan, where clear drinks seem to be popular. Reportedly, Russian generals like clear Coke, but then, they're communists, right? Maybe they pretend it's vodka. Who knows.

But certainly, change is scary, especially when we have no control over it. It upsets our status quo. It rousts us out of our comfort zone. It's like taking a drink of what looks like Sprite and the cola taste gags and horrifies us. Because... we want what we're used to. It's why we like old jeans. We want what has become comfortable, what we have become accustomed to, or more accurately in the case of jeans, we want what conforms to us.

Brad

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You can change genders and no one says anything...maybe GM should say this logo is now gender netural...then they will be cheered.

TheBarricade

I like it, but I think it could use a drop shadow. And the beveled edge is waaay too subtle. They shoulda pumped that up so it looked more rounded. Coulda added a few more colors into that gradient to really set it off. Add a diamond plate effect on top of that and they'd really have something worth looking at.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Dead accurate.

Edit: Ope, wait, you forgot to mention adding a stroke.