• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you use QR codes?

binki

We added a QR code to the back window of our truck. Not sure if it will bring any business but maybe it will attact a little more attention to the phone number on the window.

Hopefully nobody hits me driving down the freeway trying to scan it!:ROFLMAO:

John in Cali

I thought the potential for QR codes was great when introduced a several years ago. Sadly, I don't think the marketing was done properly, and as a result few downloaded the app, thus making the impact negligible. I plan on making a pitch to add QR codes to the back of all our trucks and to signs wherever we can. If enough are seen, perhaps it can be become a viable marketing tool.

Jack Knight1979

A passing fad. They are a great tool, but I rarely see them anymore in print. They saturated everything for a year then fell off. I still use them. They have their place.

binki

I was just thinking the big white square with the black squares in it would draw attention. Not that anyone would scan it but if it makes them look then they might read the rest of the window.

WildWestDesigns

I've never used QR codes, nor have I downloaded any apps or used them when I saw the codes to scan.

I know some just do it on everything and love to scan the codes, but I just couldn't get into it.

mnapuran

We have and still do use them.... I would say mostly on the back of many customers business cards for their contact information, or a link to a mobile business card.

Also on some signs, like real estate signs, some posters and banners, etc.

J

john1

Buncha ugly hoopla IMO

Thought it was going to be something new and "cool" but everyone asks "what's that".

WildWestDesigns

Buncha ugly hoopla IMO

Thought it was going to be something new and "cool" but everyone asks "what's that".

Yep, I have to agree with John in Cali with the marketing behind them wasn't strong.

I'll still see the printed stuff at Best Buy and some of the box stores and I do have it setup to do that stuff if any customer wants it put on their goods, but no one really has asked about it.

I had thought about adding it to invoices etc, to help make re-orders easier. Still on the fence about that though. I know I would never use it, but if properly educated my customers might.

Craig Sjoquist

See them in use on ads for multiple car dealers, and several other businesses.

Do they work for people, I do not know.

Myself since I'm not heavy into computer enjoyment or want to be I do not use them ..or people would expect me to be a more computer guru ..not happening..they already expect me to use text .. another not happening

signage

Hey just got a cal from someone in Southern Cal. wanted some DTG shirts!

Don't know how they found me:frustrated::ROFLMAO:

binki

Too funny. There has to be thousands doing shirts in SoCal. We have something like something like 6-10 competitors withing a half mile of us. The come and go so quickly.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

One of the BIGGEST marketing mistakes people make is they taint their marketing decisions by basing them, either by accident or on purpose, on their OWN habits. You can get real creative with QR codes. Print one up at a decent enough size to be seen and have it on facing the audience on your monitors. Put it on the corner of your poster. Put it on anything that will be seen by a potential fan. It's not that it shoots them off to your website, it's that it shoots them off to your website or facebook presence and they don't have to remember anything. With about 4 clicks you are saved to their favorites if they are interested. If you send them to your facebook page, well that's just gorilla marketing at it's best... they land on your facebook page, they share that they are at the venue, and all of their friends just heard about you from a verified source... their friend... how cool is that?

This is a description of their use from a friend of mine who is a musician. It applies to us as well.

SignProPlus-Chip

FYI the term is "guerrilla marketing" not "gorilla". I don't think he understands exactly what that means, and I really don't think QR codes count in that department.

Guerrilla marketing has to do more with creative strategies and unusual approaches that leave a lasting impression or a memorable brand experience. This usually entails reaching a large number of potential clients at a time. It's about jumping in, hitting them hard then jumping out, which is why the term comes from the phrase "Guerrilla warfare" which employs the same tactics, albeit in combat rather than marketing.

Your friend is trying to make a good case, but it falls flat. What would you have to remember in a scenario like that? The name of the band? Easy enough to find their Facebook page or site without having to scan anything. And how many people at a venue, would actually take the time to scan a code there, or even have the capability of doing so?

Statistics show that a very small number of people actually scan QR codes, even less have a QR scanner app installed on their mobile device.

They were co-opted by the marketing industry from their original purpose which was a way to organize and quickly ID auto parts by way of scanning.

Most people that use them tend to do so in a pointless manner anyway. Why would you use a QR code to link to your web site when your URL is right next to it? Although the argument is made that people can scan a vehicle when it's parked, I still don't see the value in putting them on vehicles or anything else mobile, or things that are seen while mobile, such as roadside signage etc...

MikeD

The technology has been around for a while but a lot of people are just now noticing them in the market place. Potential clients may be impressed simply by their (QR codes) presence. I am working on some packaging right now that will include QR codes just because they can draw attention. Sometimes they get scanned, and most of the time they don't. However, in a retail market, they can set you apart; regardless of what they are linked to.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

FYI the term is "guerrilla marketing" not "gorilla". I don't think he understands exactly what that means, and I really don't think QR codes count in that department.

Guerrilla marketing has to do more with creative strategies and unusual approaches that leave a lasting impression or a memorable brand experience. This usually entails reaching a large number of potential clients at a time. It's about jumping in, hitting them hard then jumping out, which is why the term comes from the phrase "Guerrilla warfare" which employs the same tactics, albeit in combat rather than marketing.

Your friend is trying to make a good case, but it falls flat. What would you have to remember in a scenario like that? The name of the band? Easy enough to find their Facebook page or site without having to scan anything. And how many people at a venue, would actually take the time to scan a code there, or even have the capability of doing so?

Statistics show that a very small number of people actually scan QR codes, even less have a QR scanner app installed on their mobile device.

They were co-opted by the marketing industry from their original purpose which was a way to organize and quickly ID auto parts by way of scanning.

Most people that use them tend to do so in a pointless manner anyway. Why would you use a QR code to link to your web site when your URL is right next to it? Although the argument is made that people can scan a vehicle when it's parked, I still don't see the value in putting them on vehicles or anything else mobile, or things that are seen while mobile, such as roadside signage etc...

So from his misspelling of the word you go on to refute every point he made about its usefulness? Wow... that's what I call a REAL stretch bro. All that aside, I have a question about QR Codes. When scanned, if they contain info on a website, are you automatically directed to that site? I have a request to make one for a guy who is listing four websites. Will the people scanning it just get a text document showing the contents of the code? I'm on a forum where I'm the only graphic designer (guitar forum) and will be getting more requests to generate these codes. Problem is I'm woefully ignorant on what they actually do. Can anyone school me up some?