Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does all reflective vinyl cost an arm & a leg?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Angela, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Angela

Angela Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Temecula, CA
    Is reflective vinyl really that expensive?

Tags:
  2. signguy 55

signguy 55 Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Short answer, yeah.

Charge accordingly. For the record I've had good success with Oracal reflective. Won't cost you an arm and a leg, maybe just the leg, but still works good.

3. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Yes. Some just requires bigger biceps and usually they're worth it.

4. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    Engineering grade is cheap, but not for vehicles and generally for flat applications.

5. jfiscus

jfiscus Adobe Shinobi

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Yes it is expensive, be sure to charge accordingly. I'd estimate at any time we have around 50 rolls of reflective in stock....
    We primarily only use 3M reflective, but also have some oddball colors that are only available from other manufacturers to match certain fleets.

Wait until you price IJ680CR!!! fuggin expensive.

6. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    We have been using 3M & Arlon engineer grade on vehicles for as long as I remember, never a problem.

7. Angela

Angela Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Temecula, CA
    So what do you guys think? The arm or the leg? I am gonna go with leg, seeing as though I am a graphic designer. Thanks for all of the input. I will let you know if I find this stuff for the cost of a pinky finger instead.

8. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I suppose on flat applications it will work, but it is not meant for that application

9. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    we use nikkalite engineering grade that's the cheapest i have found and the quality is pretty good. you can digital print on it also.

10. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Nikkalite is the easiest to apply reflective I've ever used and you can buy full rolls directly from the manufacturer for about 1/2 of what suppliers charge.

11. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Not knocking it, but it worked in the beginning for us, but for some reason.... all we started getting was so dang brittle, we gave up on it. That's a few years ago. Maybe they changed something.

OP...... if ya need it, ya gotta get it and then ya charge accordingly for it.

12. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

Yup..... I just ordered 2 48"x50yd rolls this morning. We go through at least a roll a month of their M88512. Prints great, installs as well as any (other than 680CR), and costs far far less.