• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does anyone else HATE Corel 12?

ChiknNutz

I've used 9, 11, 12 and now X3. I get the occasional CARM crash, but it's not very often. I'm running an AMD3000+ on WinXP Home with 2GB RAM.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I just installed CorelDRAW X3 on my work machine (Dell Dimension 9100, Pentium D 840, 2GB RAM, GeForce 6800, WinXP Pro SP2). No problems thus far. Tried all the nudging I could to get it to repeat the constant irritation I found with CDR 12, but no crashes. So that's one good thing at the very least.

I just wish I could figure out how to customize version X3 to have that "one shot zoom" tool put onto the zoom tool bar. I really liked how that worked in CorelDRAW 9.

Liquid GraphX

I was thinking of getting Corel X3.....
I hope it would work on my gaming rig....AMD FX-55 OC'd to 3ghz 4 G's Cosair XMS RAM...2 WD Raptor 150's...1 Segate 400gig....(2) XFX 7800 GTX's in SLI OC'd to 540 and 1380mhz... I think it would be a bit overkill but this rig works great for gaming...omg...I get 500-600 frames per second....u should see how fast it renders! there is no lag when working with files!!

Oh btw you can set you priorty higher for Coreldraw so it uses more of your RAM then other programs! It give the program PRIORITY over anything running in the background! push ctl+Alt+Del and look at Taskmanager look at how many processes are running....some you probably don't need and some are probably either a virus or some kind of cookie recording your movements for list of web sites you visit and reports back to the main page.....run spybot or Adaware and Adwatch I use them all they rock!

Liquid GraphX

Bobby H said:
I don't think fonts are the issue. The problem lies elsewhere (very likely in badly engineered code). I recently duplicated the same A.R.M. crash on a new custom built PC with a Pentium D 920 CPU, a clean installation of WindowsXP Professional SP2 and a minimal number of fonts. I have produced the same crash on an AMD Athlon X2 machine running Windows2000 Professional. The first places I saw this crash was on a new Dell Dimension 9100 equipped with a Pentium D 840 CPU and with WinXP Pro SP2 installed.

The fact I have been able to reproduce this error on a number of different machines, including my own Dell notebook computer running a completely different kind of Intel CPU, points the problem right back at the application. I know a number of other sign makers who have seen the very same problems.

You have to make sure you update the install from the MS website and even Download the updates you don't need they have updates for Framework 1.1 and other good updates.

blackknight

For now, I have an older version of Corel, #8 and I have never been able to nudge which is a real pain. Should I uninstall and re-install? Would be nice to have that working.

To all those having trouble with Corel 12 crashing...you might try going to tools/options/workspace/general...change the number of undo levels to about 15 or 20 regular and 2 or 3 bitmap. Also under workspace/save... turn off the autobackup. And finally under workspace/memory... change memory usage maximum to something about 75%. These changes might help with your crashing problems.

To Bobby H...Go to tools/options/customization/commands. Then hit the drop-down box and go to view. Scroll down almost to the bottom...there you will find your beloved zoom one-shot tool...just click and drag it over to the toolbox on the left side of the screen. Now you can sleep tonight knowing your favorite tool is back in your toolbox where it belongs.

Hope I helped somebody today.

2NinerNiner2

"LtHW' - thanks! ... forgot all about that zoom 1-shot! :) ...just 'hooked it back up' and it works slick ...just like in Vr 9. However, I am still quite intrigued by the nudge-causing-A.R.M. issue. I checked my build # and it's the same as the one 'Bobby H' uses. Really don't want to open this can'o'worms here, but perhaps it's one reason why the Mac tends to be more stable: same outfit that writes the O/S builds the hardware :)

Techman

I would suggest that it is a memory problem. Not to say that the memory sticks are bad. But to say something is overloading the memory.

The point above about lowering the undo levels to 20 has been the standard crash fix for the past 8 years.
Why?
Because for every thing you change,, a copy of that graphic will be stored in memory, If that graphic is 3 megs, then 99 undo levels will crash from memory overlaod for sure.
Why? machines with 1 gig of memory use about 1/3 of that for over head..

Personally, I know of no one who has a corel 12 or X3 crashing problem..

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I've tried the memory issue thing. That isn't the deal. This A.R.M. nudge error junk happens on systems loaded with 1GB and 2GB of various types of memory (even high end Corsair memory on this new machine we have).

The problem is junk code. I'm even more convinced of it now that CorelDRAW 13 (which has an even larger install footprint and hardware requirements) isn't repeating a lot of the same nonsense. Bugs, I tell you. Bugs.

I'm happy to uninstall CDR 12. I'll just have to knock on some wood and hope CDR 13 doesn't surprise me with some even more screwy stuff.

Learned the Hard Way said:
To Bobby H...Go to tools/options/customization/commands. Then hit the drop-down box and go to view. Scroll down almost to the bottom...there you will find your beloved zoom one-shot tool...just click and drag it over to the toolbox on the left side of the screen. Now you can sleep tonight knowing your favorite tool is back in your toolbox where it belongs.

THANK YOU!!

I wasted a good half hour trying to figure out where to find that crazy thing and gave up thinking it didn't exist in the application.

Jackpine

I've used Corel version 1,3,7,10 and I am waiting for X3 to come in the mail. There are alot of problems with many programs but you get a BIG BANG for the buck with Corel. It is such a versital program. I also use SignLab and between the two there is very little I can figure out. I love CorelDraw as a design program. I print to my PrintTech printer and swap fileswith SignLab everyday. Hang in there.

Checkers

Just out of curiosity, did you try disabling the A.R.M.? I don't think I installed it or enable the automatic update feature. Maybe that has something to do with the problem?

Checkers

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Where do you disable the A.R.M. feature? At least, where do you disable it in CorelDRAW X3? I've already uninstalled version 12 off my computer.'

I've already uncovered some bugs in CorelDRAW X3. I have had problems importing .CDT templates saved in earlier versions. The contour function isn't working right (it works very slowly, often makes the contour offset the wrong size and then says "offset too large." Corel doesn't happen to have a maintenance patch for X3 already do they?

Flame

I use Flexi for all my output stuff now (cutting or printing). But I used to use Corel 8 and CoCut for using my plotter. I have tried newer versions of CorelDraw, but I am still in love with 8. I honestly have never versions on my computer, but 90% of my design work is done on 8. I then just copy and paste into Flexi to make a decal or banner with it. I know.... it sounds crazy, but I'm in love with that program and will probably keep it forever.:biggrin:

Jackpine

learned the hard way.... select all the nodes ....right click the mouse button change all the nodes the CURVE, CUSP. Now your segments are curves that are much easier to edit. I've used versions 1,3,4 7 10 and I just loaded X3. I design and print everything in it. I design and cut from SignLab. I think it makes sense to have programs that do different tasks. It does have issues at times but I like it.