• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does anyone else have this problem

702 graphics

I have a Roland XC 540

All summer we never have a problem. As soon as the weather changes to cold we have this problem.

We get this "Hump" always on the far left side of the printer. Which causes light head strike on the print.

Vinyl is loaded good.
Half roll of EZ
Brake on or off no change
Take up reel is good.
We have messed with heat settings.

Im stumped

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Brennan:banghead:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 176

702 graphics

He is another image.
Im using 6 of the 7 pinch rollers. one is missing a wheel :X

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 154

ZsVinylInc

I have had that problem show up recently on my machine and all this summer it seem to be fine as well. Don't really remember it happening that much....I do know that I never run my outside rollers that far out as well as I run as many rollers as I can put in to fit the size of material I run... you might want to try and clean your rollers with some alcohol. I haven't had a chance to do that with mine yet. I have never had head strikes though.

Maverick Signs

are you sure the vacume is working.
with the material being cold and rigid
if it is clogged and not working at 100%
it might not be able to hold it down.

Chad.

I had this problem ... mine was caused by the machine not being completely level. Once we got the printer square, it cleared it up.

The only other time we get that, is if we leave material locked in the machine overnight ...

LittleSnakey

Try feeding the material out on to the heater for a couple minutes then feed it back in. That happens to us when the vinyl is still cold and the machine starts warming up.

d fleming

Is the room not climate controlled? Just spitballin here but if the material is colder than in summer because of room temp, the sudden temp change on the machine from heaters might cause contraction in the media. I see you have "messed with the heat settings", have you tried turning the heaters all the way off and see if it still happens on a test print?

Sticky Signs

Make sure the vacuum is at 100%. Use the media flanges on the media and set the stoppers so it doesn't move. Also, make sure the media is wound up tightly on the core and straight. If that doens't work, try putting a heater in the room where you keep your vinyl. Good luck.

scallahan

I think part of your problem might be caused by the wheel being partly off the material. Try repositioning so that wheel is completely on material and see if that does eliminate the pucker.

CustomRide

unscrew your printer from the stand...go to each end of the printer lift slightly then let down. Tighten bolts back up...or you may find leaving them loose all the time is better.

Do what other members suggest as well. Check the rollers, vacuum settings and heat of course...if possible move the roller in a little more.

Sign Works

I have had this occur on my Versacamm and on my Graphtec cutter, always caused by contaminate (generally vinyl adhesive) on that left roller, the grit roller bar can become contaminated as well. I've found that vinyl's with temporary adhesive and water based adhesives tend to ooze a lot of adhesive out from the edges especially on the cheapo stuff that has already shrunk up on the roll, Oracal 3640 made a big ol mess on that left roller on my Versacamm, I now make it a point to never run the rollers right to the edge of the media to prevent this from happening again.

ProColorGraphics

I have had this happen as well. I got it to go away with either rolling out the material or from adhesive on the media guide. For me it was usually needing to roll out the material so it wasn't coming off of a tight roll. It usually only happens with real light banner material for me though.

LarryB

When we print vinyl decal we only use the outer 2 pinch rollers. Also make sure the material is lined up straight on the take up reel. If it is off centered you will get creases.

1. Check the pinch rollers for flat spots - replace if needed (about $60/pair)
2. Turn the print heat down just a bit - wrinkling caused by too high heat setting
3. Do NOT use the extra pinch rollers as they will mark your print/cut jobs, you may try using them on banners and print only jobs without having to roll back (over your print ) and cut.

Ken

I would truly, check the alignment of the media. It is supposed to be tight at the back as it feeds into the machine. The media needs to have the same tension on the left as it does on the right side.
Check out the end caps of the media rollers ( where it fits into the cardboard core...are they equal?,,,coming loose...? I have wrapped several layers of fiberglass tape around the outside of those media rollers to ensure a VERY tight fit into the cardboard core.
Cheers!
Ken

ZsVinylInc

I have had this occur on my Versacamm and on my Graphtec cutter, always caused by contaminate (generally vinyl adhesive) on that left roller, the grit roller bar can become contaminated as well. I've found that vinyl's with temporary adhesive and water based adhesives tend to ooze a lot of adhesive out from the edges especially on the cheapo stuff that has already shrunk up on the roll, Oracal 3640 made a big ol mess on that left roller on my Versacamm, I now make it a point to never run the rollers right to the edge of the media to prevent this from happening again.

Now that I read this and think about it...Our problem with this really did not start until after we ran a bunch of Oracals 3640 in our machine...It was the first time...Anyone have a good suggestion on best way to clean the grit rollers? I have never done that and did not really know if you even could.

Use alcohol and a brass parts brush or tooth brush, be sure to get all the pieces of vinyl stuck to the grit rollers. I've never heard of Oracal 3640 leaving adhesive on the rolls...check your heat setting - sounds WAY too high!

trik

I would also try moving the pinch roller over to the empty one, and the heat setting could be adjusted possibly as well. Actually I would definitely just get a couple of new ones, in case you have issues with a roller in the future, always cool to have a simple back up.

Good luck!

Sign Works

Now that I read this and think about it...Our problem with this really did not start until after we ran a bunch of Oracals 3640 in our machine...It was the first time...Anyone have a good suggestion on best way to clean the grit rollers? I have never done that and did not really know if you even could.

I used Rapid Remover to remove the adhesive, followed up with Rubbing Alcohol to neultrelize the RR solvent then used Rapid Tac for a final cleaning. I had to take off the rollers as the adhesive had gotten inside the roller onto the roller shaft, cleaned all parts thoroughly, reassembled and have not had the problem since. Q-Tips worked well for cleaning the shaft hole on the rollers, gotta tear off most of the cotton to get them to fit. Sears Craftsman mini pick set works great for removing the C-clips that hold the rollers in place. Be sure to reinstall the rollers in the same direction that they came out.

Attachments

• 9990000032692711.jpg
    9990000032692711.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

Sign Works

Use alcohol and a brass parts brush or tooth brush, be sure to get all the pieces of vinyl stuck to the grit rollers. I've never heard of Oracal 3640 leaving adhesive on the rolls...check your heat setting - sounds WAY too high!

I believe the pinch rollers are constructed of a soft rubber type material and definetly would not advise using any metal brush on them as this would scar them and change their grip level. I didn't need anything more aggressive than a paper towel, just let the Rapid Remover do it's job.

Heat settings had nothing to do with this occuring (my heat settings always remain on default). I already explained that this media shrinks up on the roll exposing a narrow section of adhesive, now if you run the pinch roller right on the media edge with the bit of adhesive exposed it will stick to the roller and gather around the roller and the roller shaft, this in turn sticks to the media creating some drag on that paticular roller therefore creating the buckle in the media just to the right of that roller.

Sherry2006

i get that if my media is pulled too tight on the roll. with vinyl i just roll out a few feet so it hangs freely behind the machine. If it's banner material, I only roll out enough so there is no tension or else the material crinkles and binds up.