Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Does anyone know how these signs are made?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by kriscad, Jul 7, 2020.

1. kriscad

kriscad New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Nashville
    Looking to research what equipment would be needed to make these signs. The corrugated one has got me stumped??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tags:
  2. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    I'm going to take a wild guess and say dye sublimation. I have one something similar to the first sign, and I'm pretty sure they're not cutting joint lines after the fact.

As far as the corrugated sign goes, it would require a contoured silicone nest and print pad. The panel would need to be coated for ink receptivity.

But then again....I guess "direct to substrate" is not totally out of the question:
    https://www.thesignblog.com.au/the-sign-blog/sign-showcasedirect-printing-onto-corrugated-iron

JB

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    I have a customer who makes prints like the first one on his JFX200 flatbed printer. I don't think the bottom one would be feasible on a flat bad so probably agree with above that it's dye sub.

4. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Very Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    or print it flat and stamp the corrugation after

• Like Like x 2
  5. James Burke

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    It would take very sophisticated tooling and presses to stamp a pre-coated sheet...not to mention paints / coatings that don't flake or abrade. It's typically done with appliances such as washers/dryers/ranges, etc...but that is a totally different coating altogether.

JB

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. The Yanki & The Brit

The Yanki & The Brit The Yanki & The Brit Signs and Radio Show

Sep 3, 2014
    Texas
    Go buy some at Hobby Lobby and re-sell them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

May 7, 2019
    Wisconsin
    A friend does cooler metal ones all the time. Metal sign simple :print it then emboss it ( run it thru a roller ) .

• Like Like x 1
  8. James Burke

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    When it comes to philosophy, I absolutely love HL founder David Green's remarks about his own products. He literally claims that there's not one thing in his store that people absolutely "need".

Yes, it's probably true since we can live on bread, water and a few fruits and veggies. But just look what the Covid crisis showed us when it comes to cabin fever and the inability express our creative tendencies.

JB

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  9. netsol

netsol Active Member

Apr 26, 2016
    englishtown, nj
    james,
    about 40 years ago, IMRON had a line of paints that did not flake, they were designed to paint race cars & motorcycles so minor damage could be pounded out and generally avoid repainting

the salesman would come around with painted sheets of aluminum foil. he would crumble them, flatten them out again and the paint was intact and perfect. (then the EPA reared it's ugly head and that was the end of this product line)