• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

does anyone know how to make a font?

Steve C.

I began making fonts in CorelDraw. There's a tutorial out there on the web
somewhere. I learned by reading the manual (not easy). Then started using
FCP from High Logic, Pat says it's $80 but I think the most recent version is more
like $200. It's a real good program but limited if you want to work with Open
Type. I have since moved up to FontLab Studio5. The best in my opinion.
Most of them have autokern features if you can figure how to adjust to your
liking. I set kerning manually, but FontLab makes it very easy. FontLab is around
$600 now I think. Worth the investment if you are serious about making fonts.

Steve C.

:Oops: Pat is right... Font Creator Home version $79, Professional v $199.

Download the free trial version of FontCreator now, and see how quickly and easily you can create new fonts or modify existing ones. Then, you can buy the Home Edition for $79.00(US) and the Professional Edition for $199.00(US). Visit the Buy page for more information about prices, registration details and to order online.

adkmaid

I began making fonts in CorelDraw. There's a tutorial out there on the web
somewhere. I learned by reading the manual (not easy). Then started using
FCP from High Logic, Pat says it's $80 but I think the most recent version is more
like $200. It's a real good program but limited if you want to work with Open
Type. I have since moved up to FontLab Studio5. The best in my opinion.
Most of them have autokern features if you can figure how to adjust to your
liking. I set kerning manually, but FontLab makes it very easy. FontLab is around
$600 now I think. Worth the investment if you are serious about making fonts.
yeeek little steep but hear "u the man" so i will move forward from here, seems like a lot of work to make one font (i say that now until i need it for a job) well its something to do during the "no boat" season, thanks

threads1

I think it's in Old Forge, there's a general store with signs made out of Birch limbs. I always thought that was really cool looking. If you get your font done I'd really like to buy a copy if it looks like that sign I saw.
Let me know........Hey...are you a 46er?

adkmaid

hell no

ok just looked up 46er there aint no way I am lucky i can roll out of bed an light a cigarette let alone hike all the peaks. i dont have time to do that anyway, full time at the state as graphic artist and the business and a money pit, if i get anytime for myself I flyfish or hunt, or paint. will do on the font, of course i have to put example on here so everyone can attack me, this is my new sport.:rock-n-roll:

Mainframe

I use fontographer, when I create a logo for a business, I make a font with the logo in it, all they have to do is type the letter "a" & it shows up in a document, some people love it.

Rodi

My all time favorite is FontStudio from Letraset, but you can use fontforge for free and its nice, at a pricepoint you can live with (free).