Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know if there is a way for the printer to bypass reading/detecting ink cartridges?

Discussion in 'Mutoh' started by 0igo, Jul 6, 2017.

1. 0igo

0igo Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Stockton Ca
    So once again i got the [M] read error. This time though i take out my cartridge but my printer doesnt detect that it is out. if anyone knows a way on how i can bypass this or a service i can buy so that my printer does not detect ink levels/ cartridges please let me know.

I have a mutoh valuejet 1624

Tags:
  2. VanderJ

VanderJ Take two Dampers and Call me in the Morning

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    It could be a bad sensor or the heater junction board is malfunctioning. I would try cleaning the terminals that the sensor plugs into on the heater junction board first to see if that fixes the issue.

Mutoh does offer a service to turn off the ink chips but it costs around $1500 if I remember correctly. It's mainly for people who want to use dye sub inks in their machines so they may require you to be using dye sub to deactivate the chips. I have never had the service done before so I don't know what the qualifications are but I know it exists per my Mutoh sales rep. The cost changes depending on the printer model as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Umca

Umca Member

Sep 4, 2015
    UA
    For check if cartridge detection sensor is working normally you can do:
    - Remove the cartridge and open locker frame;
    - Few times press to sensor's pin and check if printers's recognized it (pin on photo). Maybe pin is locked in some position and just need to release it.
    My printers are unlocked by technician few years and did not use smart cards. Please write me PM if you interest.

Attached Files:

4. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Check with Francis at Premier Colour - I believe they have a solution for your woes. He's a merchant member here as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 0igo

0igo Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Stockton Ca
    Got the printer unlocked, Now my printer can print without any cards at all. Honestly best investment I've done for my printer. If anyone needs help let me know :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. FatCat

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Good deal!

7. midmoco

midmoco New Member

Dec 1, 2011
    franklinton,la
    yes I need help with my 1614 and 1604 ,cant hardly keep up with problems. thanks midmoco

8. Umca

Umca Member

Sep 4, 2015
    UA
    midmoco,
    I sent info in PM.

9. archenemy1

archenemy1 New Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Vancouver Canada
    Hi Midmoco

I would greatly appreciate any info regarding smart cards and not having to use them ever again!

Thanks

Frank
    North Side Sign

10. archenemy1

archenemy1 New Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Vancouver Canada
    Would appreciate any help with doing away with smart cards.

Thanks

11. 0igo

0igo Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Stockton Ca
    i should have probably stated earlier that its not a free service. Its a service a technician does. Once done though never worry about ink codes again. Cost is expensive but its only a 1 time fee

12. Umca

Umca Member

Sep 4, 2015
    UA
    It is not so expensive (unlock VJ printer). And it possible to do remotely.

13. artbot

artbot Very Active Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    I saw the remote option costs $900 from one tech (gone rogue). How much is the going rate? Any good contacts?

14. FatCat

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Artbot, Francis at Premier Colour would be the guy to contact - he's a MM here.
    I don't think he's quite that expensive, but you will pay several hundred to get a printer unlocked...