• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does doing it right matter?

Andy_warp

I believe almost anyone going to school, college, votech..... have no real ambition to do what they are training for, presently. They'll take whatever they can get, unless they are learning something important or valuable. A designer...... ?? Important..... ?? Hardly, so you get whatever falls out of the class at the end of the year.

That's for the students, where I also believe with all the a$$wipes getting into this trade/industry most are all self taught and can just barely get by and that's why you get the crummy files ya get. They come from crummy dummies.

There's no pride in this business or any other business.... today. No one seems to care and always passes the buck. That goes for the business owners and many many mechanics, technicians, designers and installers. Not everyone fits this mold, but it sure seems to be the vast majority in any trade.

The pattern makers are dying off and most people can only input things in hopes the software will do 99.9% of the work. :banghead:
And Gino...LOVING the term Crummy Dummies! We have different terms here that are a little off color, but I'm stealing yours!!! LMAO!!!

ExecuPrintGS

Ive stopped expecting print or cut ready artwork when we have someone say they will have their "Graphic Designer" send stuff over.
What i do expect is that if it isn't print ready it is in a format that either they or we can get print ready. I am getting fed up with explaining what bleed is to "Graphic Designers" or explaining that the color they see on their computer monitor or cell phone may not be the output color.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Why can't anyone understand how to make a pdf with NO PREPRESS MARKS, NO CROP MARKS, and NO BLEEDS and all fonts converted? If it's just text on a white sign blank you must include the sign blank or I will not know what size you're after.

rjssigns

This is great! Can you teach them also not to make a clipping mask that is roughly 1 percent of the original image!!! Like hanging off the artboard once the mask is released!

I tell them not to use clipping masks. Design it to size or use the correct program to get it to the needed size.

On that note: A client sent me a file that looked odd. Checked the layers and found that white blocks were used to cover the bits overhanging the artboard.:confused:

klmiller611

I was too green to do any of what you are talking about, and I know you are ABSOLUTELY right. I was lucky enough to get in to printing and imaging when photos was still the best quality you could get. The photo tech was a cool enough guy to let me help him spot negs with an opaquing pen, and smoke cigarettes! In the real print world this stuff ISN'T getting passed down. I got to develop my own B&W film and make prints in a real darkroom in jr. high. It was SO fun. The first time I saw Photoshop I was all about it. But I actually DID know how to dodge and burn in an analog...and understood how to use those tools digitally. It's the foundational knowledge that is gone. Someone sees a tutorial and now they are a designer. Thank you for your input!

Indeed, you are exactly right. I also processed film, spotted negatives with opaque, never smoked, thankfully. Stuff being passed down is essential, however, most (not all) younger folks do not care hwo it used to be, only what they can do now. I was talking with a much younger excellent photographer a few weeks ago, telling him how much better it is for them today, how Kodachrome was so sensitive to shoot, how we did not have any option for taking anything out of a scan. Not to mention, you can see your result right there on the back of the camera! Perfect example was a friend and I were out shooting, climbed into a creek to get a shot, set up, got the shot, both of us thinking it was a great image and magazine cover material. Got my stuff back a few days later, and it sucked big time! Not good composition, not good light, called and told my friend. He thought "oh, Ken just screwed it up, mine will be better." His came in a few days later, and guess what, it sucked as bad as mine!

But, it goes to show that young people learning the craft is simply a big part of it, not just what I can do on screen, but how does it actually work.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I think those of us that learned the old-school way (before PCs) understand what is needed to make something printable and those that have only ever used a computer don't. My dad was a photographer that changed to digital in his later years. He did some amazing things with his pictures that he couldn't do in the darkroom. But he never thought the composition, etc. was as good as before digital.

I learned layout and design because the magazine my dad was publisher for kept hiring Ringling School students that could not comprehend anything they hadn't specifically been taught. They wanted a blank slate but someone who understood balance. I HATED the woman that taught me... she was a perfectionist wench. She would make me recut a whole page of ruby if the windows were even a point (anyone remember picas and points???) off. But if I met her today on the street I would bow down and kiss her feet. Because of her perfectionist teachings and expectations, I'm good at what I do.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I have a few clients that know what they're doing or I've explained what I need and they send properly. For the others, there's an Art Clean Up fee attached to their invoice.

AKwrapguy

I hate to get too political, but I think the "Free" gov'mnt backed student loans allows too many people to get worthless degrees. With all the free money, the schools and kids don't take the time to consider whether or not their degree will be worth anything when they graduate in 2/4/6/12 years.

I can verify that the government backed loans for school are not free and in fact is the second biggest source of debt in this country aside from mortgages. Millions of people are in debt that most will likely hold onto for most of their lives.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Why can't anyone understand how to make a pdf with NO PREPRESS MARKS, NO CROP MARKS, and NO BLEEDS and all fonts converted? If it's just text on a white sign blank you must include the sign blank or I will not know what size you're after.

Ha! I was about to make a similar comment. Just outline your dang fonts so that I don't have to try to track down some obscure, weird font that you think looks cool (it doesn't, you're the only one that likes it). I do appreciate that people are trying to "help" by adding crop marks and bleeds, but don't. Please. We have pre-press folks for a reason. You're not helping!

AKwrapguy

Ha! I was about to make a similar comment. Just outline your dang fonts so that I don't have to try to track down some obscure, weird font that you think looks cool (it doesn't, you're the only one that likes it). I do appreciate that people are trying to "help" by adding crop marks and bleeds, but don't. Please. We have pre-press folks for a reason. You're not helping!

This should be on on every design tutorial, every syllabus for school, and every pop window for every graphics program. I award you sir a cookie and a gold star.

peavey123

I would never send artwork like that. In fact I've never even done patchwork in artwork like that ever. Lazy/doesn't care.

I send print/cut ready artwork all over Canada. My advantage is I've worked as a vinyl monkey and am working on my 3M wrap certification as well. Plus I've run almost all Rolands, some Mimaki's, HP's and an Epson myself. The advantage, i can help sign shops. The disadvantage, I might lack in other areas like branding/marketing side of things and the professionalism/design-speak agency designers can pull off.

Johnny Best

I have noticed over the past couple of years that when I ask for their logos in eps or a pdf they will send me art in those formats and everything is correct. These are law partners, banks and high end clients that have professionals (like yourselves) design their artwork. Things are improving through time.
I will get the occasional guy who will send the 20 layer art that is unbearable to work with and so large he has to put it in Dropbox. But that is par for the course and we all have to deal with it and am sure someone bitched about something I sent out to get printed.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, other than everyone b!tching and fixing the problems, I guess we can all agree..... we ALL get some pretty pathetic files and artwork. The longer you're in this business, the more you'll get, too.

Last edited:

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
On that note: A client sent me a file that looked odd. Checked the layers and found that white blocks were used to cover the bits overhanging the artboard.:confused:

OMG I have someone here who does that with Flexi files! Can't drill in to her head how to use masks, and instead will cover crap with white boxes all over. And then wonders why her 18" x 24" layout, when all selected, is 21.356" x 38.2871"

mpn

The opaquing of negs (with a brush) was one of the first things I did as a kid in our shop. The darkroom was across from the room full of light tables for stripping negs and hand setting pmt positives with wax to shoot enlargements. Our first computer was so sloooow, but it would set type on a perfect arc, hit enter and go to lunch. lol Using masks meant rubylith and an exacto.
Learned and practiced layout for along time before actually being let loose alone on jobs. Anyways back to your regular program.

Bigdawg still have and use pica poles.