• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does this guy seem alittle odd?

jrsc

Two things.
First in regards to taking cash because of possible bad checks, you might want to check with your local law enforcement. Writing a bad check is a crime. In my area you can give a bad check you received to the sheriff's department and they will go after the person for you.

Second, this brings up a question. Do you guys take deposits from returning customers. We generally don't take deposits from regular customers. One reason is a lot of our regular customers order over the phone or email and we never see the customer until they pick up the product. We can take a credit card over the phone but a lot of customers prefer to pay by cash or check. I generally don't have any non payment issues with this but do get the random customer that doesn't make it down to pick up their order for several weeks.

m_s_p

My policy is to take a 50% deposit. I don't usually require deposits for repeat customers unless they are shady to begin with. I deal with many large companies and if I want the business we are at 30 days net from the beginning.

I would recommend that you meet at a customers office for meetings. Many of my largest customers have never been to my shop and they wouldn't even know if I worked and lived out of my car.

When I want a service done I always feel hesitant if the company only takes cash. It is very easy to get setup to take credit cards either through paypal or a credit card processor. You can worry that people will do charge backs, but they could also give you fake money and we can't go freaking out about worst case scenarios all the time right? :smile: I am hesitant to take personal checks, but I haven't had a bounced check in years and the last one was for a little over $35.

J

john1

Most of my customers are home based also. This particular customer works from home and didn't want to meet there either.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If the deal falls through tell him you can get him near wholesale pricing on custom printed.....
Red Flags

wayne k
guam usa

visual800

NOPE I would get rid of his ass now. he's already proven he's prick worthy. Kick that ass to the curb.

Farmboy

Everyone here has valid points as that's what has worked for them. You have to figure out what works for you. The one thing you have to keep in mind though is this, before you sell any materials to the "customer", you are selling you...whether you know it or not. If the customer doesn't buy into you they ain't gonna buy from you. Listen to what the folks on here are saying.

mikefine

Very simple solution, since you are both working out of the house -- and there is no trust on both sides. Next time, just ask for a 50 - 75% deposit on the design -- Not the whole job. This way you are getting paid for your work, and it is easier for the customer to swallow. Lot easier on the stress... Once the design is approved, get the full payment on the design, and move forward with 75% on the job, asking for a deposit for materials.

I'm currently working from home after closing my shop of 10 years... It can be difficult to find a place to meet. However I prefer to go to my customers office, if they don't have one then a restaurant or coffee shop is just fine...

I want to know what you are doing to make your customer feel at easy working with you...

Do you have a web site, or marketing materials that show the type of work you do and has testimonials from your other clients? Do you have a professionally printed business card or are you running them off on your ink jet and cutting them out with siczors? And finally what are you leaving him with to warrant a 75% deposit...

Assuming everything else is taken care of a deposit should be set up as 25% 25% 50% That's 25% to get artwork, 25% to start production, and the remaining 50% upon completion.

Just as another note... Do you have a laptop? It can be pretty convenient to be able to pull it out and show the customer a quick layout then and there... You don't have to create the masterpiece right away, but just show them that you have the skill and the tools to complete the task at hand.

Good luck in your life and business!

mark in tx

Just a few quick thoughts.
50% deposit is the industry norm.
You take the deposit in whatever payment the customer offers, cash, check, credit card,etc...
Initial meeting at the coffee shop is fine, but after that you need to conduct business at your place of business, whether that is your home, garage, or wherever. That is how you generate trust with the customer.

I understand that you are worried that you will get ripped off by a customer, but the customer is worried just the same by you, and your actions.

Lastly, the vast majority of customers we all have are honest, and we have no problems with them. Don't let the stories here about bad ones make you think everyone is out to screw you.

W

wetgravy

I know what you are dealing with since the guy doesn't want to pay 75% down on something he hasn't seen before OP. One thing I have done is make a seperate "art fee" that includes proofs and 2 revisions. If at that point they don't want to continue ... they don't have to continue ... if they want to, I finalize the quote and require half down. ... they can pay by check, but I inform them that it takes 7-10 business days for a check to clear for the art fee, but I do take electronic payment (credit, debit, echeck, etc) and cash and as soon as payment is received (electronic payment they agree to the terms of an art fee before payment is processed) I can begin work. I also establish an agreement (that they sign in their own handwriting) for the art fee that states that all proof work done is mine until they fully purchase a copyright package (which is included with most jobs) that will transfer the copyright to them fully. That way they don't pay the non-refundable $35 art fee , get a semi-finished logo / design and think they own it out right without paying the 100-300 I charge for just the copyright transfer alone.

But yeah, I feel you on that one john, I used to meet clients in coffee shops or their office and encounter the same discussion ... ever since I started charging the art fee, it weeds out ones that aren't serious while also letting me get paid for my time and lets the client have a chance to not become fully invested in me as a designer without really knowing how we work together.

anotherdog

Its a question of trust.
In the customers place I would not slap down 75% deposit to someone I just met in a coffee shop who has no place of business (meeting at the shop would reassure me that the deal had some legitimacy).

At the same time what kind of ass hands over a cheque while threatening to stop it?

I understand sometime in business you have to take the doubtful customers, its the same reason mousetraps work.

I think you need to look at your business and take down the red flags. Find some way to take a deposit other than cash. Create sales material and website that will establish you as a legitimate business.

There are a lot of great suggestions about splitting the deposits so that niether of you is left hanging, most of all I guess you have to remember you are the one doing the selling...you have to put more cheese on the mousetrap.

iSign

Tell me something John.. I know I've put well over on hour or two into various well intentioned posts on your threads in the past...

I think that gives me the right to ask you for something in return. Before I go off half-cocked and making any assumptions about what you just wrote...

..clear this up for me John... just exactly WTF does this mean here?

Now your all going to bash me and say "grow some thick skin" or something...

...bash away because I've had it. Make me feel lower and more reason to quit. I will predict that Gino and iSign will be the ones who have the most to contribute as always.

Are you recognizing "contributions" in the positive sense here? Or is this all about the poor little down trodden, abused & beat down little boy inside complaining that Gino and I are the bully's contributing to your sorry little stature here?

What's the deal John? ...Tell me straight up if I'm missing something, of if your sorry little loser mentality is getting the best of you & you actually just called me out to say that what (Gino and) I have the most to contribute to you is just bashing?

WAIT.....
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
don't back pedal, and don't chicken out...
just spit out the facts about what you really meant here so I can postpone any further reply until I'm absolutely certain I understand what you just said to me...

Jillbeans

Something that does strike me as odd, John, is your resemblance to a former 101 poster, Scarface.
Not an attack, just an observation.

surf city

Hey, the "you have to sell yourself" thing is pretty dead on. As far as a deposit, yes I agree but 75% in cash would make me find many other reasons NOT to hire you. As for the "I work outta my house" thing. I can totally understand what you're feelings are but, you have to establish a sense of validity and if you don't wanna use your house as a place of business fine, then always try to go to their office. If they don't have an office then ask them where they want to meet and play it like you have several places to be that day or any day so comming to you wouldn't be feasable but eventually you do want them comming to you so you can get more business. If you're nervous about getting ripped off get yourself a nice pitbull. As far as Doug and cousin Gino.......if you have been here for any length of time you know that THEY MEAN WELL and seriously aren't really trying to hurt anyone intentionally, c'mon do you really think that they are just into bashing people. Nobody here is really into that just for the sake of doing that. Seriously, go back and re-read everything that everyone has mentioned and do it with an open mind and I really think that if you want to grow your business or become a better signwriter that taking other people's advice who are in the same business can be an extremely helpful tool to make your business better. If you ask for help be prepared to accept it no matter how harsh it may sound.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey, the "you have to sell yourself" thing is pretty dead on. As far as a deposit, yes I agree but 75% in cash would make me find many other reasons NOT to hire you. As for the "I work outta my house" thing. I can totally understand what you're feelings are but, you have to establish a sense of validity and if you don't wanna use your house as a place of business fine, then always try to go to their office. If they don't have an office then ask them where they want to meet and play it like you have several places to be that day or any day so comming to you wouldn't be feasable but eventually you do want them comming to you so you can get more business. If you're nervous about getting ripped off get yourself a nice pitbull. As far as Doug and cousin Gino.......if you have been here for any length of time you know that THEY MEAN WELL and seriously aren't really trying to hurt anyone intentionally, c'mon do you really think that they are just into bashing people. Nobody here is really into that just for the sake of doing that. Seriously, go back and re-read everything that everyone has mentioned and do it with an open mind and I really think that if you want to grow your business or become a better signwriter that taking other people's advice who are in the same business can be an extremely helpful tool to make your business better. If you ask for help be prepared to accept it no matter how harsh it may sound.

Are you my long lost cousin ?? If you were the one my uncle threw away back a few years ago, we've been lookin' for ya. Can you send us your dental records so we can be sure............ ?? :pops_blinking: