• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does this guy seem alittle odd?

binki

Here in the PRC a bad check is work 3X the face amount of the check as a penalty after 30 days if the villian doesn't make good on it. If he doesn't pay that you can haul him into court with a request for a statement of assets and the judge will sell his stuff to settle the judgement. There is no reason not to take a check if you have the address of the person.

Wraps ink

We usually get a $65.00 deposit on all jobs before we begin artwork..once they approve artwork we get half down on the entire job...just my opinion but the home based sign shops are kinda sketchy to me..they are the ones who pop up drive the market price down then go outta business..im sure I'll catch crap for that one

andy

75% deposit would be a red flag in my book. Asking for that kinda money up front cash is just making you look sketchy.

LOL....

I go that extra 25% and demand FULL payment before I even start work...

I make sign stuff.. I'm not a money lender. I don't want to fund your working capital or cashflow issues using my money.

My suppliers love me because I refuse point blank to open a credit account... you've got my debit card details, take the money NOW.

My bank manager loves me because I've got money in the bank at ALL times... not a pile of worthless invoices which may or may not be settled at some point in the future when customers finally run out of excuses.

My customers are happy.... all the savings I make from paying cash for the raw materials I need are passed straight through to them. I provide you with a comprehensive guarantee... I'll happily redo any work which isn't up to standard (although I make sure things are done right the first time round... having the cash I need makes this easy).

Locals Find!

LOL....

I go that extra 25% and demand FULL payment before I even start work...

I make sign stuff.. I'm not a money lender. I don't want to fund your working capital or cashflow issues using my money.

My suppliers love me because I refuse point blank to open a credit account... you've got my debit card details, take the money NOW.

My bank manager loves me because I've got money in the bank at ALL times... not a pile of worthless invoices which may or may not be settled at some point in the future when customers finally run out of excuses.

My customers are happy.... all the savings I make from paying cash for the raw materials I need are passed straight through to them. I provide you with a comprehensive guarantee... I'll happily redo any work which isn't up to standard (although I make sure things are done right the first time round... having the cash I need makes this easy).

Is that 100% deposit before you show the customer anything ? Is it also cash only?

I see nothing wrong with asking for pre-payment on a job once the artwork is complete. However, your going to get a credit card from me or a check. Asking 75% up front when we first meet in cash when I haven't seen what you are going to do is sketchy.

You wouldn't pay a contractor to remodel your house 75% up front cash before you saw what he was planning to do would you?

CES020

John, I think you have all levels of people responding here. Some with decades of experience in the business, some with far less. From my standpoint, there is a catch 22 that exists in the beginning. Only a moron would give someone they don't know cash up front for a job, if that person couldn't provide one hell of a portfolio of high quality work that would make the customer feel extremely confident they were going to get a high quality job. So who gives money up front to someone with no killer portfolio? Morons or very trusting people.

As you build that portfolio, it allows you to be in the drivers seat at the meeting. It allows you to showcase your work, which makes them feel comfortable and like they are dealing with a real professional that knows his/her craft. They'll hand you their money, no real issues.

So you're stuck. You don't have the portfolio, but you want the money. Your work may very well be worth it, but you have to figure out a way to work through it until you do have the portfolio to justify your requests. In my experience, when you are new, with a limited portfolio, YOU have to take some risks, not your CUSTOMERS.

You are trying to built a relationship, that's what customers are, relationships, not flash in the pan, here today, gone tomorrow people. What can YOU do to make him feel more comfortable with the transaction?

Yes, it's on you, not on him. As a side note, if you treated me that way, I'd have walked and you'd not have had that return call from me. I'd be at your competitors getting my pricing info.

surf city

As you build that portfolio, it allows you to be in the drivers seat at the meeting. It allows you to showcase your work, which makes them feel comfortable and like they are dealing with a real professional that knows his/her craft. They'll hand you their money, no real issues.

So you're stuck. You don't have the portfolio, but you want the money. Your work may very well be worth it, but you have to figure out a way to work through it until you do have the portfolio to justify your requests. In my experience, when you are new, with a limited portfolio, YOU have to take some risks, not your CUSTOMERS.

And if you have no portfolio, work on making one. Whenever you have some down time. Make something to show your customers. I'm always asking suppliers for samples as I am sure everyone else is. Now with that in mind, you have to say to yourself....ok I need to make samples to show my customers. It's part of your tools. If you are confident that you can make good signs you have to show potential customers what you can do.

"Deposit Please"

Home-based...i wouldn't want all walks of life coming over to my house to discuss their projects at my dinner table..hell no. But I think there are a few things that you can do to present yourself as a legit home-based sign guy. Get yourself a website w/ portfolio, even if you only did a few small projects, something is better than nothing. Answer your phone and respond to emails if someone contacts you through your site. Unanswered calls/emails during work hours is not good. Get yourself some business cards/brochures and letter up or wrap your vehicle. Dress nicely. Why don't you meet prospect at his/her workplace. Rethink your accepted payment methods and no, don't do any work without a "deposit please"

Last edited:

PromoGuyTy

I accept only 100% cash upfront in unmarked nickels. I don't get any jobs at all, but at least I've "protected" myself.:toasting:

PromoGuyTy

And oh yeah, I meet only in dark alleys. (this helps with some "color-sensitive" customers).....(ummm...yeh, that's Pantone 192)

iSign

Something that does strike me as odd, John, is your resemblance to a former 101 poster, Scarface.
Not an attack, just an observation.

:Oops: I think you scared scarface away... he hasn't posted in 5 days.. been here, but not posting... hmmm

rex

wow,,, the first post i choose to read and its a goodin,,,so many things goin through my head right now, and as a new person to the forum, i thik i will keep my thoughts to my self,,,,,even though there`s lots id love to say, lol

Custom_Grafx

Just a few quick thoughts.
50% deposit is the industry norm.
You take the deposit in whatever payment the customer offers, cash, check, credit card,etc...
Initial meeting at the coffee shop is fine, but after that you need to conduct business at your place of business, whether that is your home, garage, or wherever. That is how you generate trust with the customer.

I understand that you are worried that you will get ripped off by a customer, but the customer is worried just the same by you, and your actions.

Lastly, the vast majority of customers we all have are honest, and we have no problems with them. Don't let the stories here about bad ones make you think everyone is out to screw you.

I find that to be true as well. Although the ones who screw you, really get to you and it hurts - the big picture is, that most people are OK. Someone else also said "if you trust them, they trust you" - this is also very true.

I always actually try to get at least 50% too. Jobs under $300 or so, I request full payment. Most people are ok with this. Customers who don't feel comfortable paying the whole amount, we work something out - but I make sure I at least don't end up LOSING money.

When you quote someone, have a professional quotation form. On it, have your conditions CLEARLY stated. Also verbally reiterate them.

My tagline is usually - this is my quote $xxx, should you wish to proceed, let me know and I will send you the invoice with payment details right away and get started on your order. 9 out of 10, I end up getting the money without a problem.

I think also, if you want to be serious, it's hard to be so out of home. Having said that though, I do know a couple of veterans who work out of home, and they are very good at how they handle clients like yours. You just gotta be real smart and tactful about it.

If you don't feel comfortable, be tactful about it. Don't tell them that you're not comfortable doing biz. that's like telling a girl you don't wanna see her anymore coz you didn't know she had bad breath before you kissed her. It can only go downhill from there. If you really feel something bad about them... tell them you're booked up for the next few weeks or sthing.

Anyways, reflect on these experiences and use them and the advice you get as building blocks to improving yourself and your business.

Best of luck!

Salmoneye

I take a deposit to cover art costs, then take a 50% deposit before starting production with balance due on delivery. 75% sounds steep for a mock up. He is right to a point, what if he doesn't like your design work and he has already paid 75%? I don't think that meeting in a coffee shop is strange in and of itself, we have a local coffee shop that is very conducive to business meetings; they have outlets, high 4 chair meeting tables, beautiful decor.... It offers me a chance to treat them to a beverage.. It is also convenient when we are out in the city doing sales, deliveries or installations and it is closer. We always give them the option, if you are home based and he is home based I think that it is a great idea. 75% seems steep, pre-art. We also make sure that we are in company shirts, logos printed on all work order forms, driving company vehicle with graphics... we can also point to different signs that we have done from the coffee shop and offer references to make the client feel more comfortable.

ismoreno

I feel the same the whole coffee thing is not that bad but 75% may be high. Personally i have a few bad experiences with check so you know what? I stopped accepting checks its either 50% now 50% at day of install or product delivery. I hate wasting time going to the bank and waiting for checks to clear(Id make exceptions in special occasions). All in all it works for me and that's what matter. Stop wasting time degrading yourself its really about numbers everyone wants a good deal.Forget about this guy and move on. Try to meet customers at their place of business too. Good luck and never feel defeated