• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Doing "Back Cuts" with a friction plotter

Matt-Tastic

My normal sources have turned up a blank on this issue. I was wondering if anyone here has ever done back cut stickers. By back cut, I'm referring to cutting through the backer paper only, in order to be able to split a decals paper in half to more easily peel of the decal.

A lot of label makers refer to these as "crack and peel" labels, if that is any help. I know there is a work through using a Gerber system (EDGE/EnVision), but I haven't heard of a process for friction feed.

Another idea would be if someone has seen a rolling cutter that would cut like this, to only cut the paper. Even a hand held tool would work.

J Hill Designs

I was able to use a tool holder, set the blade depth to barely peek out, and run it across the backing. worth testing at least

edit: run it across the backing by hand is what I meant...not in the machine

FrankW

There are special machines for that, some screenprinters I know have that, I'm sorry I don't know the english word for this machines.

phototec

I remember reading a post by Dale (Big Squeegee), and I think he was working on making his own tool design for just this purpose, you might try either searching for this tool on here or contacting Dale.

dale@bigsqueegee.com

:smile:

Matt-Tastic

Thanks all! I forwards Hicalibersigns' recommendation to the customer, and dale's email as well.

all of these are great ways to do it. I know there is a machine to roll printed stock through to back cut, but when you only need a few at a time, I think the hand tool would be the best method.

Thanks all! S101 to the rescue!

MikeD

Omega can do it (I've never done it, but they have instructions on their site.)
For a friction feed, I think if you make a separate file that matches the dimensions of your layout it could work. If you set the origin manually and run it on the back of the job with good blade settings it should work. One thing to consider is what the drum does to the face of your print.
Sounds like something fun to experiment with.
Good Luck!

d fleming

Piece of wood, razor blade and two screws. Set blade tip to extend beyond wood to depth that will cut paper but not the film.