Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

don't try this at home

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by aerial, Jul 13, 2012.

1. aerial

aerial QCB

Jul 11, 2012
    Schuylkill County PA
    I have been reading posts and watching videos on the big squeegee, and was intrigued.

Looking around, I found a nice little glass shelf with a plastic edge that that was similar in size and shape. I decided to give it a try, just to see if I liked handling something that big before I ordered one. I ran some premask on the kitchen table. Not too bad.

I found a scrap of Oracal and decided to lay it down on something. Looking around my house, the only thing remotely clean was the bathroom mirror.

I proceeded to install the unmasked vinyl on my bathroom mirror with the squeegee imposter. No luck- lots of wrinkles.

So I go to pop it back off, and guess what? I pulled the whole mirror off the wall It shattered and now I have a big mess to clean up.
    :Oops:
    Don't you love it when someone screws up and it's not you?

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    :ROFLMAO: and on Friday the 13th to boot. Next, you're gonna have a black cat cross your path and then step on a crack and break your Mother's back.....

Go home and break out a bottle of Scotch or something at least worth breaking......... :bushmill: :toasting:

3. dlndesign

dlndesign Active Member

Dec 10, 2007
    San Diego, Ca
    :omg2: that was :ROFLMAO:

4. FireSprint

FireSprint Very Active Member

Uh oh...

5. Locals Find!

Locals Find! Very Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Myers
    Would have cost you far less to order the BS try it out than that mirror is going to cost you now. Good luck explaining that one to the wife.

6. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    i think gino's remedy is best...crack the bottle my friend. oops sorry i mean open the bottle

7. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    Where's Dale? He'd have told you he would have saved you the cost of the mirror.

8. slappy

slappy Very Active Member

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    :Oops::thumb:

9. aerial

aerial QCB

Jul 11, 2012
    Schuylkill County PA
    I am the wife.

I need to brush up on my vinyl install skills. I found this in the scrap box.

Anyhow, do you use the BS on cut vinyl on vertical installations?

Attached Files:

10. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I'm not sure what's going on here anymore, but I think you need to take the trash out and don't forget those bottles need to go into recycling...........

By the way.... are you smearing that pudding around with a gold squeegee ??

11. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    if I had one, I would use the BS to mask my cut vinyl but then apply the masked vinyl with a tape-hinge and a regular squeegee.
    additional note: for large cut-vinyl applications, I hinge as one piece but then slice the mask in 2-3 letter segments and apply in sections. much easier to handle than the whole at once (although, I can and do anyways, but I train my employees this way to save on recuts/returntrips if/when they screw up somehow.)

12. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Welcome from OK

I'm not sure if I want to comment on this one...lol

13. PHILJOHNSON

PHILJOHNSON Sales Manager

Jul 23, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Welcome

Hello and a warm welcome from Seattle, WA!