• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Double Sided Banners Stiacking to Roll?

Letterbox Mike

I'd find a new tech... Cheap banner material will have issues with excessive heat, it'll buckle. That doesn't mean you shouldn't run heat, it means you should experiment with heat settings until you find heat that the media lays flat, if you can't get it to lay flat, find different material.

In order to avoid ink adhesions issues, you need to run all three heaters. Even if you were able to get these printed without the heaters on, the durability of the banners will be horrible because the ink is not bonding to the media properly. Running just the post heater won't really help much. The media has to be hot when the ink hits it, that's the real key. If it's cold it's not soft enough and the pores in the vinyl are closed and the ink will not soak in. Running just the post heater will help it cure a little better or faster, but will not significantly improve the bond to the media.

To give you an idea, on our JV33, we run 13oz Ultraflexx at 42,40,50. We run 18oz Bantex d.s. at 48,45,50. For 13oz supersmooth Bantex (scrimless) we run that at 40,38,50. On all we also run an infrared DigiDry dryer.

Letterbox Mike

We run ours at 48/45/50. You may need to raise the head to high (we don't have to), but environmental conditions can affect how the media takes heat too. That stuff can handle a ton of heat. Not sure what profile you're printing with but we've found the Avery MPI3100 glossy calendered 540x1080 6-pass with those heat settings works exceptionally well on that media.

StopSignGraphics, we love the DigiDry. We print alot in 540x1080 6-pass or 540x720 4-pass so the prints must be dry by the time they hit the takeup reel. It really helps with that. Especially for wraps on IJ180C, that's a slow drying media, we're able to run it alot faster with better results because of the dryer. I'm considering adding a second heater to ours to help out even more. If you get one, get the optional timer, the only thing I don't like is you can't leave it on unattended overnight runs, it will literally burn through media if you leave it sit on a non-moving print too long (I know from experience...).

Slamdunkpro

We are using Herulite Bantex 18 oz D/S material. Any ideas on what heat setting would work good on this for the JV33?
I run 18oz Herculite at 45 45 55 first side and 35 40 55 for the flip side on my Roland. I can almost finish printing it and flip it right over and reprint it (but I don't)

SEOR

I will 5th the motion that your heaters not being on are the prob. I did (99) double sided 187"x36" banners without a hitch recently.

cardsin2005

Well guys I must say the first banner I ran with the heat turned on (and way up I might add) came out great and the ink was cured before it rolled up on the take up real. I would have never had this problem if that Midwest Sign Supply "Tech Support" guy had not have told me not to use heat. I can now print and flip and print with out having to wait for the banner to dry. I really appreciate all the help you guys.

cardsin2005

We were printing a d/s banner once and it was binding up and the head was striking the banner about half way through the 2nd side. He said it was because of the heat. So we turned it off and it did nothing. Thinking about it now we probably needed more heat if anything. Oh well at least we have it under control now.

S

scarface

I haven't printed double sided banners yet but i recently printed on ultraflex matte material and i had my heaters turned to the max on my 30" SP300i and the inks dried enough to not stick together. This was a test and i overlapped the banner on itself and it didn't stick at all. Deff need those heaters on, it opens up the material and allows the inks to absorb and dry.

Reason for having the heaters up that high is i found it makes a nice smooth looking print and is less grainy on my vinyl and banner material.

particleman

Just to repeat some of what has already been said:

When we do DS banners 24 hour dry time is mandatory. Use proper heat settings or you won't get a proper bond. We also use a 15oz super smooth material, this is critical for us as we have never had good luck with glossy DS.