• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Double sided window graphic?

MHester

A customer of mine has a restaurant and wants to put a graphic on their window. I immediately thought of window perf, but then they said they wanted a printed image on both sides of the window. Stupid question, how do you do that? Window perf on inside and outside of the window, giving 2 layers ultimately? Is there a 2 sided window perf vinyl? Not sure what to do here, would love some recommendations. Thanks.

MHester

If you don't have white ink you can print one side on clear vinyl (mirror image), one side on white vinyl. Laminate the white vinyl on top of the clear, you now have a double sided print with adhesive on one side
ooh, I love the idea, but you only get 1 chance to nail the registration or it's an instant reprint. LOL. There would be 8 panels to get perfect. Not impossible, I've got 9 years of experience, but still tricky nonetheless.

unclebun

Perf on both sides won't work because you'll never get the holes to line up. And perf requires the "inside" to have less light.

If they want a full window graphic that is right-reading and full on both sides, they will have to forego being able to see anything through the window.

If it's a graphic like a logo that can appear mirror image on one side with no words you can do that in cut vinyl or contour cut printed vinyl.

If it covers the whole window and has no words but there are spaces you can see through you can buy a color/white/color print on clear from a vendor, or if they want it to be translucent then you can just print a single layer of color.

Jason Thomas

Print on both sides of a smooth blockout PET banner material, then laminate a double-sided, removable adhesive film to one side. It can't be perf, it must be an opaque substrate, and the blockout prevents sunlight from ghosting the image though from the other printed side.

JBurton

Signtologist
...could you just sell 16 prints and apply to either side of the window? It would have the added benefit of making the prints clearly visible from either side, without tint obscuring anything.

MHester

Perf on both sides won't work because you'll never get the holes to line up. And perf requires the "inside" to have less light.

If they want a full window graphic that is right-reading and full on both sides, they will have to forego being able to see anything through the window.

If it's a graphic like a logo that can appear mirror image on one side with no words you can do that in cut vinyl or contour cut printed vinyl.

If it covers the whole window and has no words but there are spaces you can see through you can buy a color/white/color print on clear from a vendor, or if they want it to be translucent then you can just print a single layer of color.
Agreed that perf on both sides would never line up the holes. Yep. The graphic is a 4/c dragon in flight in the sky, so cut vinyl is not an option unfortunately. But thanks for your help.

MHester

...could you just sell 16 prints and apply to either side of the window? It would have the added benefit of making the prints clearly visible from either side, without tint obscuring anything.
Since it's a window, customer would like to have some light come through so the restaurant isn't so dark. That's why window perf would have worked well, but still blocks out some of the sunlight beaming through. Thanks for your help.

MHester

Print on both sides of a smooth blockout PET banner material, then laminate a double-sided, removable adhesive film to one side. It can't be perf, it must be an opaque substrate, and the blockout prevents sunlight from ghosting the image though from the other printed side.
I like how you're thinking out of the box, but I think they want some sun to still come through the windows a bit. Thanks for your help.

Attila Nagy

I do double sided print to clean Vinyl on Gerber Edge. Depending on Colours how is it possible or not. Toke me some time to figure out the layers and mirrored images for a basic PUSH and Pull sign.

petepaz

print one side on the clear vinyl, mirrored image so when they stick it to the glass you can read it from the outside. then print the other image on white vinyl and mount that to the clear vinyl and trim accordingly.
presto-change-o..... you have a two way decal

MHester

print one side on the clear vinyl, mirrored image so when they stick it to the glass you can read it from the outside. then print the other image on white vinyl and mount that to the clear vinyl and trim accordingly.
presto-change-o..... you have a two way decal
I have been thinking the same.... Printing mirrored on clear vinyl for inside of glass, and printing normally on white translucent vinyl for outside of glass, and getting a close match registration on each side of the glass during install. Translucent vinyl would allow some light to come through, and it would also be my "white" ink that the clear vinyl would need to be backed up to.

petepaz

I have been thinking the same.... Printing mirrored on clear vinyl for inside of glass, and printing normally on white translucent vinyl for outside of glass, and getting a close match registration on each side of the glass during install. Translucent vinyl would allow some light to come through, and it would also be my "white" ink that the clear vinyl would need to be backed up to.
i mount them together, not two installs. print the mirror image on the clear then mount the white printed decal to the clear decal so it's one decal and one install. also don't use translucent white. use a regular calendared or cast vinyl with a clear adhesive.

MHester

i mount them together, not two installs. print the mirror image on the clear then mount the white printed decal to the clear decal so it's one decal and one install. also don't use translucent white. use a regular calendared or cast vinyl with a clear adhesive.
Yes, but would an opaque white still let light come through? It's already a dark restaurant, we need to have daylight come through the windows otherwise it may look like a dungeon. LOL.