• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Double sided window graphic?

gnubler

The product from Signs365 is described as "DualView" window graphic, low tac adhesive. It's been a while since I ordered it but it was somewhat translucent. Order a sample and try it out.

JBurton

Signtologist
Yes, but would an opaque white still let light come through? It's already a dark restaurant, we need to have daylight come through the windows otherwise it may look like a dungeon. LOL.
I think petepaz's plan here avoids tight registration, but cuts down on daylight coming in. Trans white should be just fine, you'll just have to get it registered against the clear pretty well, or it'll be headache inducing.

I like gnublers suggestion for signs365 window cling, unless you have white ink capabilities already, or really want to practice registering translucent prints, it would make the most cash the fastest...

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Design the graphics so that you have empty space negative reading L>R and R>L, with voids reading right both ways (bit like a vehicle)

netsol

ooh, I love the idea, but you only get 1 chance to nail the registration or it's an instant reprint. LOL. There would be 8 panels to get perfect. Not impossible, I've got 9 years of experience, but still tricky nonetheless.
You don’t think there can be registration problems if you have the capability to print white?

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
PetePaz was correct and to use cast or calendared vinyl (i.e. Oracal 3640) on clear/transparent as it will block enough of the graphic on one side but along a quarter of the light to come through where there isn't a print on either side. If light comes through where the print is, you won't see what you were meant to be viewing. I wouldn't worry about light through and instead, make sure they can see the picture they wanted on the window.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Opaque white isn't really opaque when there's a light source (the sun) behind it. Unless the graphic is really dark/saturated, light will come through.
Like others have said- reverse print on clear, standard print on white (I'd use translucent, but- either way- make sure the adhesive is clear), laminate together, trim, and install would be the easiest to do. You could also print on white and apply on the inside, and print on perf, and apply outside. That or farm out to a wholesaler who can print the whole thing on clear with white.
I would personally stay away from second surface perf on exterior windows, because those windows are almost always tinted, and the prints don't show up all that well.

petepaz

Yes, but would an opaque white still let light come through? It's already a dark restaurant, we need to have daylight come through the windows otherwise it may look like a dungeon. LOL.
not sure translucent will let in as much light as you would think but no the opaque vinyl will let less light through but it will also help block out some of the reverse side graphics. it's not 100% like a block out material but better than translucent

WhitakerNJ

A customer of mine has a restaurant and wants to put a graphic on their window. I immediately thought of window perf, but then they said they wanted a printed image on both sides of the window. Stupid question, how do you do that? Window perf on inside and outside of the window, giving 2 layers ultimately? Is there a 2 sided window perf vinyl? Not sure what to do here, would love some recommendations. Thanks.
We have an HP365, and we often do window clings on it. We use a polypropylene double-sided film with 8mil blockout material. We print one side, feed it back through, and print the other side. Then, we apply a double-sided windowtac to it. One side is permanent, and the other side is low-tac. It is a tricky process and requires a laminator, but it can be done. Currently, we're working on a job that calls for 138 - 24x36 pieces.

bigben

Not a newbie
I have a HP 700W. If the image on the second surface is not exactly the same you see the print on the other side with the sunlight. We have tried the 5 layers print with the black in the middle but it take way too much ink and time. Drytac make a blockout vinyl with a clear adhesive. We print one side on clear vinyl and the other side on the drytac stuff. Cut them, align one on top of each other and use the laminator to stick them together. This technique is faster and less expensive than print 5 layers. You can add a small bleed and make a final cut when the two prints are stick back-to-back.