• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

dragon from magic sculpt

luggnut

GREAT looking dragon!

We use Magic Sculpt in our shop a LOT. We have used a litle more than 3 TONS (not a typo) to date. Buying it in volume brings the price down considerably. :)

-grampa dan

thanks .. seeing a few of your articles and features in SignCraft is what got me inspired to try Magic Sculpt. i have a small shop and wanted add some dimension to some of my stuff and couldn't really afford a cnc setup right now. it would be a dream to do the stuff you do.

grampa dan

Even with the amount of Magic Sculpt we use it's all still mixed by hand. If you microwave the separate parts slightly to warm them up it is a lot easier! We looked into an industrial bread mixer which I hear works well but three things hold me back. The first is that I can only apply it so fast and so mixing in large batches isn't necessary or desired. Secondly, cleaning an industrial machine would be hard work and you would have to do it constantly making me wonder how much time we would really save. Thirdly, the heavy duty machines are expensive - even used. We do not have three phase power in our shop and single phase machines are very rare. I'm not about to spend thousands of dollars on a machine I'm not sold on.

Instead if I have a good sized project on the go I hire a student or two to do my mixing for me while I do the fun part.

-grampa dan

luggnut

dragon sculpt painted

here it is the almost finished... i think i may gold leaf the lettering?

Attachments

• dragon paint.jpg
    dragon paint.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 155
  • dragon paint2.jpg
    dragon paint2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 167

J Hill Designs

flippin' SICK! yeah, gild the lettering...

edit: well, I only looked at the first pic, in the second one, the lettering stands out well as tarnished copper or the like...

Jillbeans

You could either gild or use Ronan's Aqua Leaf or Kemp Permagild too.
You can also two-tone gild with different types of leaf.
Looks swell!

Pat Whatley

That things a hell of a lot bigger than in looked originally. Awesome. Put a few extra screws in it or it'll end up in a dorm room somewhere.

luggnut

thanks for all the compliments... i think i may have to do something else to put on the other side of my storefront to balance it out, but haven't come up with something to compete with the dragon....