• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

dragon from magic sculpt

luggnut

i decided to try the magic sculpt epoxy clay and do me a dragon.... its insides are foam (spary and insulation boards) , wire and mdo. the sheild is insulation board etched with a heat gun and vinyl stencils.

the magic sculpt is amazingly hard once it cures.. i can't break it even small parts like horns and teeth with my hands ( maybe with a hammer!)

Attachments

• drag1.jpg
    drag1.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 240
  • drag2.jpg
    drag2.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 166
  • drag3.jpg
    drag3.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 154
  • drag4.jpg
    drag4.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 159
fun stuff to play with...but more expensive than gold.

on the advice of Bill the go to guy for 3d sign work (3dSignCo) he turned me on to some less expensive alternatives if you ever need to buy more.

TheSellOut

Wow the shark eyes work perfect! Good Idea!

What type of glue are you using on the foam panels? I see the MDO in the center, is that for support and mounting?

On your shield you said a heat gun and vinyl stencil. So the foam contracts where ever it is not protected by the stencil?

You've inspired me to try this, it looks fun and I always wanted to try the magic sculpt!

luggnut

What type of glue are you using on the foam panels? I see the MDO in the center, is that for support and mounting?

On your shield you said a heat gun and vinyl stencil. So the foam contracts where ever it is not protected by the stencil?

i used a glue from the hot wire foam factory for gluing foam... the mdo was so i would have something solid to mount to the backer and for support of the sculpture.

the vinyl sheilds the foam from the heat gun and it contracts and recesses were there is no vinyl . it does eat away under the stencil a little and chrome vinyl works best , not as prone to shrinking from the heat.

how many hours so far?

it is my first go at anything like this and i have been going at it on and off for almost 2 weeks. i would guess 20-30 hours.

grampa dan

GREAT looking dragon!

We use Magic Sculpt in our shop a LOT. We have used a litle more than 3 TONS (not a typo) to date. Buying it in volume brings the price down considerably. :)

-grampa dan

signmeup

We have used a litle more than 3 TONS (not a typo) to date. -grampa dan
How do you mix the 2 halves efficiently? It seems like quite a chore to mix the 2 putties together to me. Do you have a mixing machine? (I realize you didn't mix up 3 tons in one batch....but still)

neato

GREAT looking dragon!

We use Magic Sculpt in our shop a LOT. We have used a litle more than 3 TONS (not a typo) to date. Buying it in volume brings the price down considerably. :)

-grampa dan

Hey guys, if you haven't had a chance, hop over to Dan's website and check out his work. He is really the sculpting king. I've had the chance to see some of his work in person, very impressive....