• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Drawings

okeesignguy

No cost for a thumbnail drawing, but it doesn't leave the shop. Otherwise, any computerized creation isn't started until a written and monetary commitment have been established. Dems da rules, don't like' em, go down the street an get Harry to do them for free.
YUP!

kcollinsdesign

Old member
In most cases I will prepare either a pencil sketch or a quick computer mock-up and combine that with an estimate. I have a distinct advantage over my competition in that I am handy with a pencil and I have a deep portfolio. Usually, a new client comes to me as a referral or they have seen my past work.

In many cases I invoice the client for illustration and design (selling specific usage rights). They are welcome to take the art down the street and try to get a better deal on the sign. I outsource everything and only have a small shop to meet clients and drink a cup of coffee. Because I have such low general and administrative expenses, my prices for installed signs are lower than most of my competition (who have to maintain larger shops, employees, service fleet, printers, spray booths, etc.).

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
In most cases I will prepare either a pencil sketch or a quick computer mock-up and combine that with an estimate. I have a distinct advantage over my competition in that I am handy with a pencil and I have a deep portfolio. Usually, a new client comes to me as a referral or they have seen my past work.

In many cases I invoice the client for illustration and design (selling specific usage rights). They are welcome to take the art down the street and try to get a better deal on the sign. I outsource everything and only have a small shop to meet clients and drink a cup of coffee. Because I have such low general and administrative expenses, my prices for installed signs are lower than most of my competition (who have to maintain larger shops, employees, service fleet, printers, spray booths, etc.).
You realize that makes no sense right? The notion that you can do it cheaper because you have no overhead? You're aware that your wholesalers do and you are paying for it PLUS their profit everytime you buy something? They dont magically do this stuff at material cost.
If you cant make money producing stuff yourself than you are doing something wrong.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
You realize that makes no sense right? The notion that you can do it cheaper because you have no overhead? You're aware that your wholesalers do and you are paying for it PLUS their profit everytime you buy something? They dont magically do this stuff at material cost.
If you cant make money producing stuff yourself than you are doing something wrong.
I can certainly make money producing stuff myself, it's just that I make MORE money as a designer and find it more profitable for my business to let others do what they excel at. If I can offer competitive pricing and still make a 20% profit at the end of the day on outsourced fabrication and installation, why not?