• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dreaded network issues

I purchased a used Versacamm vp-540 over the weekend, I had it connected to versaworks and was having some issues with prints stopping halfway through. I updated all the software and firmware and now I can't get the printer to connect to versaworks anymore. I have some kind of issue with my IP address. I connect to wireless internet and have the printer plugged into the computer via Ethernet cable. When I disconnect the printer and do IPCONFIG my network info is:
IP: 192.168.1.10
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

When I plug the printer back into the computer the IP and Subnet change to:
IP: 169.254.37.185
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Gateway: shows no info now

Printer is set to:
IP: 192.168.1.9
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Any idea what I could be doing wrong? Networking isn't my thing and extremely frustrating. Been working on the connection for a good 10 hours now :covereyes:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
If you plug the printer directly into the computers network jack then your computer will no longer have internet access. Since the printer is not a DHCP server (this is what assigns IP addresses automatically to devices that do not have a static IP address set) your computer then just gets a default useless IP address. You say you have wireless internet - does the computer have a wireless network adapter in addition to the hardwired network jack? That or having 2 hardwired network jacks on the computer is the only way you could have it so your computer can print to the printer and have internet access at the same time. Does you router (the thing that has your wireless network antenna) also have multiple hardwired network jacks? If so the ideal solution is to connect the printer to the wireless router and the computer to the wireless router, both with hardwired cables. Let laptops and whatnot be wireless, your main computer and printer really will do best if both are hardwired to a router or directly to each other. BUT if they are wired directly to each other then the computer will either need to have a second network jack or a wireless network adapter in order to still be able to use the internet and you would need to assign a static IP address to the jack that is connected to the printer.

Sounds complicated but it's really not. Again - the best solution if for both the printer and the computer to have hard wired network connections to your router.

I am just using a laptop with a wireless card and one network jack in it. I'm setting the printer up in the basement of my home and the internet router and wireless router are located upstairs. Is there a way to just use the computer as a stand alone slave computer for the RIP software without having internet connection. For now until I can get wires and routers moved I can just use a flash drive to transfer files from my Mac that I design on to the Windows computer that has the RIP programs.

I ended up moving routers. I opened up Versaworks was able to enter the IP info for the printer. It connected but while I was getting ready to do a test print the printer disconnected. I have the printer connected to the wireless router and the laptop is connect to the wireless router using the wireless card. If I try connecting the laptop using a Ethernet cable the internet goes down and changes the IP address and removes the default gateway to nothing.

OK ran windows network fix. I'm now connected to wireless router via cable. Printer connected to Versaworks again. I started a test print, was printing and the printer lost connection with the RIP program again and print stopped mid print. Any clues?

Once the printer stops and disconnects from the RIP program it wont connect again using the same IP. I can go into the printer and change the IP one digit up and then go into versaworks and change to the same digit and it will connect back to the printer but just repeats itself and stops mid print and disconnects and wont connect back using the same IP. So frustrating.

I am completely lost now. I can connect to the printer, start a print, prints about 2-3 inches then just stops. Versaworks status changes to not connected. The printer then says now processing. Once this all happens I have to restart versaworks, power down the printer once it all powers back up I can then connect to the printer again just to have the same issues. :banghead: I also have flexisign Pro 10 and it does the exact same thing using that for the RIP. Starting to think it has something to do with the printer... Any ideas?

lodcomm

I am completely lost now. I can connect to the printer, start a print, prints about 2-3 inches then just stops. Versaworks status changes to not connected. The printer then says now processing. Once this all happens I have to restart versaworks, power down the printer once it all powers back up I can then connect to the printer again just to have the same issues. :banghead: I also have flexisign Pro 10 and it does the exact same thing using that for the RIP. Starting to think it has something to do with the printer... Any ideas?

Hello Tencity,

the 169.254.x.x ip address you keep seeing is what windows does when it is unable to obtain an ip address either through WINS or DHCP. It is occurring because you are somehow losing your tcp/ip connection between your windows box and the router/DHCP Server (I'm assuming you have a linksys wireless router somewhere in the mix since you are seeing 192.168.x.x ip addresses.

I am a little confused by what you are doing there, you seem to be saying the computer is on the wireless network, and then the printer is Hard (cat5) wired?, and you are trying to plug the ethernet (cat5) cable directly from the printer to the ethernet jack in your computer?

so:

1) What/where is the ethernet cable from the printer itself plugged in to? (one end of the cat5 is in the printer, where is the other end going?

2) How is your windows (the versaworks machine) connected to the network? Wireless?, wired?, Wireless until you plug in the ethernet cable?

-t

Hello Tencity,

the 169.254.x.x ip address you keep seeing is what windows does when it is unable to obtain an ip address either through WINS or DHCP. It is occurring because you are somehow losing your tcp/ip connection between your windows box and the router/DHCP Server (I'm assuming you have a linksys wireless router somewhere in the mix since you are seeing 192.168.x.x ip addresses.

I am a little confused by what you are doing there, you seem to be saying the computer is on the wireless network, and then the printer is Hard (cat5) wired?, and you are trying to plug the ethernet (cat5) cable directly from the printer to the ethernet jack in your computer?

so:

1) What/where is the ethernet cable from the printer itself plugged in to? (one end of the cat5 is in the printer, where is the other end going?

2) How is your windows (the versaworks machine) connected to the network? Wireless?, wired?, Wireless until you plug in the ethernet cable?

-t

I rewired my internet router so I was able to run ethernet cable to the printer. I have the computer also hard wired now to the router. I can connect to the printer but the printer will only print a few inches and then stop and just say processing on the printer. Versaworks then says the printer is not connected. Same if I try and use Flexisign pro status in production manager goes from printing to write port error. Any ideas what could happen with the printer to cause that? I just purchased it this weekend had about a 6 hour drive home with it. I'm thinking something might have broke internally in the printer maybe?

lodcomm

I rewired my internet router so I was able to run ethernet cable to the printer. I have the computer also hard wired now to the router. I can connect to the printer but the printer will only print a few inches and then stop and just say processing on the printer. Versaworks then says the printer is not connected. Same if I try and use Flexisign pro status in production manager goes from printing to write port error. Any ideas what could happen with the printer to cause that? I just purchased it this weekend had about a 6 hour drive home with it. I'm thinking something might have broke internally in the printer maybe?

I don't think it is a hardware problem with the printer:

what does ipconfig on the windows box show in the following:

1) do an ipconfig when production manager IS working (able to talk to printer)
2) do an ipconfig after it displays a write port error

-

Techman

it aint broke..

i would look at the print spooler and buffer, Not for something broken but for something that would explain why the data is not continuing.

it sounds like the printer is stopping waiting for the net packet to come in. That data packet will not move until the system sends a data command. Either the machines are not handshaking for they lose hand shake because of a time out problem.

Using wireless is not always a good idea for data transmission on this kind of hardware. There are signaling and time out rules that a wireless system does not account for.

it aint broke..

i would look at the print spooler and buffer, Not for something broken but for something that would explain why the data is not continuing.

it sounds like the printer is stopping waiting for the net packet to come in. That data packet will not move until the system sends a data command. Either the machines are not handshaking for they lose hand shake because of a time out problem.

Using wireless is not always a good idea for data transmission on this kind of hardware. There are signaling and time out rules that a wireless system does not account for.

I can cut with no problem. It's only when I try and print that it disconnects and stop mid job. From what i've read on here from other people having the same issue it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and spend the 2k for a new main board.. Anyone else have any other options? :covereyes:

player

Before I spent 2K on a board I would invest a few hundred on a service call from a certified Roland tech... They may know a thing or two about your printer.

There is also a company that repairs Roland boards.

Before I spent 2K on a board I would invest a few hundred on a service call from a certified Roland tech... They may know a thing or two about your printer.

There is also a company that repairs Roland boards.

I ended up replacing the mainboard. Bought a refurbished one from Kent over at Mac Media! Have nothing but good things to say about him and the company. Had the board overnighted and just got it installed. Had a little hiccup at first and didn't think the board was going to work but we got it all figured out and are back up and running! Thanks for all the help!

Riethian

Hi, I had been same problem. I updated firmware to 4.80 and thats enough to fix it. I think they updated the ethernet driver on the mainboard.

Ugur A.

Riethian

***UPDATE
The problem is ethernet connection chip on the board. You need to find a tech guy who can repair the board and replace a new Realtek ethernet chip. It costs around 200-300 USD.

Ignis

***UPDATE
The problem is ethernet connection chip on the board. You need to find a tech guy who can repair the board and replace a new Realtek ethernet chip. It costs around 200-300 USD.
Hy, i have ordered new RTL8021CP Chip, and Im gona try to fix it al local technician. Can you tell me is there anything else that I need to do after replacement? Do I need to put new Ethernet Firmware in? And if i do, where I can find it to download. I think it is .BIN file.

Thanks