• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Drilling Into Acrylic

ledhead

Like what everyone else said. Buy the specific bit for drilling that type of material. I also put a wood board underneath and clamp it down tight. I have not had any cracks since doing it that way.

Jayefkay531

i know a few other people mentioned....but the unibit or stepbit works wonders. cuts through like butter. NEVER cracked on me. No need to use two pieces or tape or anything - it drills through as if you're drilling pvc.

WB

put the drill into reverse like you're taking a screw out and use a standard drill bit. Rather than drilling into the acrylic, you're basically melting it. I do this all the time. Works like a charm

I've never heard of anyone doing this, Unless it was my wife and she didn't know the drill was in reverse..

Megagrafix

President
Hey guys!

I work for a small sign shop. We do mostly vinyl signs and banners.

I have a customer who has requested a 2'x3' Acrylic sign mounted onto a wall using standoffs. Sounds easy enough but we have a problem with the material cracking when drilling the holes!

The material is 1/4" thick.

Does anyone have any tips, tricks or suggestions?

Attached is an example of what my customer wants.

Thank you fellow sign makers!
acrylic-sign-transparent.jpg
Consider using edge grip standoffs. No drilling.

Martin Denton

Use a standard tile drill . I can drill a 1/2 inch hole in acrylic in one go with out any cracking. It is incredible try it you will be amazed

jc_0125

Creative Director
I've never heard of anyone doing this, Unless it was my wife and she didn't know the drill was in reverse..

I mean ive been doing it for 2+ years with no issues. Gets the job done. Nice holes, no cracks

Martin Denton

Use a ceramic tile drill, they work like magic, They can go through 10mm holes in one go on 5mm acrylic with no risk of shattering, best discovery i made about 15 years ago never used anything else since

Z SIGNS

Drilling plexi has always been risky business. Yeah you need the right bits And even then it's a crap shoot.

visual800

Why waste money on special bits. Grab you a steel bit and just drill the hole slowly, holding back on the drill itself. Work your way up till you can use the step bit and finish it out, its not difficult. Just take it slow

Sven

One trick is to heat the plastic carefully with a heat gun for about 30 seconds while using a pre-drilled piece of wood clamped to the acrylic as a guide for the bit.

Andy D

A FYI for everyone, if you're on a jobsite or something & have to drill acrylic, but don't have an acrylic bit,
a workaround I have used is to use a regular bit, but put the drill in reverse... it's not as fast or clean but
it gets the job done ( I have only done this a few times & it's been a while, so I would try this on scrap 1st if you can)

Edited to say: Dang, someone else posted this already, :( I thought I was a genius for thinking
to try it one day when I was in a bind.

Last edited: