Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drilling Into Acrylic

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Jo Hill, Dec 10, 2019.

1. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    And my wife wonders why I like working evenings... Props on running the show solo!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Modern Ink Signs

Modern Ink Signs Premium Subscriber

Jun 27, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    I’m going to assume that you are having the material cut to size....

I’d find someone in your area that has a cnc router. Work up a relationship with them on projects like this. They can cut the material to size/shape/holes/etc. Then all you have to do is your lettering/printing on the material.

I did this and now we are good friends. Works out great we did work for them and they do work for us!

If you are drilling the material yourself, as mentioned use the proper drill bit(s). Also put some masking tape on the front and back of the area you will be drilling. This will help the material from cracking

3. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Use a drill press with a fresh drill bit and drill slowly. No cracks.

4. jc_0125

jc_0125 Graphic Designer

Oct 5, 2017
    New York
    put the drill into reverse like you're taking a screw out and use a standard drill bit. Rather than drilling into the acrylic, you're basically melting it. I do this all the time. Works like a charm

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. ledhead

ledhead New Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Midwest
    Like what everyone else said. Buy the specific bit for drilling that type of material. I also put a wood board underneath and clamp it down tight. I have not had any cracks since doing it that way.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jayefkay531

Jayefkay531 Member

May 10, 2017
    CT
    i know a few other people mentioned....but the unibit or stepbit works wonders. cuts through like butter. NEVER cracked on me. No need to use two pieces or tape or anything - it drills through as if you're drilling pvc.

7. WB

WB Active Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Canada
    I've never heard of anyone doing this, Unless it was my wife and she didn't know the drill was in reverse..

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  8. Consider using edge grip standoffs. No drilling.

9. Martin Denton

Martin Denton Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Manchester, UK
    Use a standard tile drill . I can drill a 1/2 inch hole in acrylic in one go with out any cracking. It is incredible try it you will be amazed

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. jc_0125

jc_0125 Graphic Designer

Oct 5, 2017
    New York
    I mean ive been doing it for 2+ years with no issues. Gets the job done. Nice holes, no cracks

11. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Cracks can develop over time.. they may not show right when you drill.

12. wes70

wes70 Very Active Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Canada

13. Martin Denton

Martin Denton Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Manchester, UK
    Use a ceramic tile drill, they work like magic, They can go through 10mm holes in one go on 5mm acrylic with no risk of shattering, best discovery i made about 15 years ago never used anything else since

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Sign Works

Sign Works Very Active Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    These, smooth as butter. 61S6UUC45DL._SL1500_grande.jpeg Craftics_Pro-Series_Drill_Bit_Kit_01_1390x.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. Z SIGNS

Z SIGNS Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Trenton NJ
    Drilling plexi has always been risky business. Yeah you need the right bits And even then it's a crap shoot.

16. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    Why waste money on special bits. Grab you a steel bit and just drill the hole slowly, holding back on the drill itself. Work your way up till you can use the step bit and finish it out, its not difficult. Just take it slow

17. Sven

Sven Member

Apr 1, 2011
    NE NJ
    One trick is to heat the plastic carefully with a heat gun for about 30 seconds while using a pre-drilled piece of wood clamped to the acrylic as a guide for the bit.

18. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    A FYI for everyone, if you're on a jobsite or something & have to drill acrylic, but don't have an acrylic bit,
    a workaround I have used is to use a regular bit, but put the drill in reverse... it's not as fast or clean but
    it gets the job done ( I have only done this a few times & it's been a while, so I would try this on scrap 1st if you can)

Edited to say: Dang, someone else posted this already, :( I thought I was a genius for thinking
    to try it one day when I was in a bind.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020