Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drilling Into Acrylic

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Jo Hill, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Jo Hill

Jo Hill Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Hey guys!

I work for a small sign shop. We do mostly vinyl signs and banners.

I have a customer who has requested a 2'x3' Acrylic sign mounted onto a wall using standoffs. Sounds easy enough but we have a problem with the material cracking when drilling the holes!

The material is 1/4" thick.

Does anyone have any tips, tricks or suggestions?

Attached is an example of what my customer wants.

Thank you fellow sign makers!
    [​IMG]

Tags:
  2. DrunknMonk

DrunknMonk Member

Aug 23, 2010
    England Uk
    I think you have to slow down the drilling or put another piece of material under the acrylic when drilling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JasonP

JasonP New Member

Buy drill bits that are specific for drilling into acrylic.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  4. DrunknMonk

DrunknMonk Member

Aug 23, 2010
    England Uk
    we just use standard bits for drilling steel, if your drilling like a 10mm hole start with a smaller bit and work up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zeke Ford

Zeke Ford Manager of Wide Format Production

Jan 5, 2018
    Sandusky Ohio
    They make a plastic cutting drill bit that has a sharper point and less pitch than a conventional drill. I've also seen a suggestion for using like water or something while drilling so that you can keep the material from getting to hot and possibly melting. You will want to drill slowly to avoid stress cracking. Maybe practice these suggestions on a scrap piece to see if they work for you first to keep from ruining the project.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Use these and it won't crack. Do some test holes to get the speed and pressure correct. I used this exact set to do 3/8" standoff holes in 3/8" material and it went just fine. If you buy on amazon, don't just buy any old thing.. some of the reviews were not good on there. These were the only ones that had good reviews and I am one of them.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-plex...ords=acrylic+drill+bits&qid=1576012373&sr=8-5

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  7. OADesign

OADesign Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    California
    • Like Like x 1
    • I Appreciate You I Appreciate You x 1
  8. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Bits for acrylic and Polycarbonate typically have a 60° tip.

I've drilled hundreds of holes in acrylic/poly and the step bits work the best (even better than bits intended for plastics, in my opinion). I use these from Harbor Freight and they work great. If you're not near a Harbor Freight, grab a cheap set off Amazon like these.

• Like Like x 2
    • I Appreciate You I Appreciate You x 1
  9. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    not a fan, but its possible to use regular steel drill bits. used/dull bits are actually better than brand-new ones. since the cracking comes as result of the sharp tip catching the acrylic and wanting to shove itself right-into it... attempting to split it rather than cutting/shearing.

So as stated above, start small work-up.
    I actually do it with a twist: for larger bits, I drill in REVERSE!
    Piloting with an 1/8" bit, drilling per usual, but then when I load up the 3/16">1/4">5/16">etc. bits, I throw my drill into reverse and "melt" the hole. sounds silly, but it works.

added tip: if you needed a 3/8" hole, like most standoff hardware, you'll want to have your final hole to be with a 7/16"-1/2" bit to allow for a little wiggle-room when installing. if you try to drill it exact, you'll always wind-up being just a little off when you go to hang the acrylic, and you can't just shove it in since tension + acrylic = potential disaster.

10. Jo Hill

Jo Hill Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Jo Hill

Jo Hill Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Thank you everyone for the replies!

• Like Like x 1
  12. bigben

bigben Very Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    We use step drill too and never had a problem. Even if it is a newbie doing it.

13. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    +1 for strip drill bit, they work flawlessly.

14. Reveal1

Reveal1 Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    I second that - we also use those bits and they are great along with the tip to clamp to a solid sacrificial piece when drilling.

15. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Lennox Unibit, or sandwich between two pieces of pvc clamped with a Kant Twist.

16. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

material underneath and on top, you don't have to clamp them, but pressure them together and a nice new bit

17. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I agree you don't have to clamp them, but, when instructing my guys I always tell them to clamp it. All it takes is a little less pressure on hole number 4 and bang, the hole gets blown out. The kant twist is a great little clamp that has very fine control of the clamping force and it's spread across a 1x1 copper cube, so you don't have the same risks as a c clamp or the awkwardness of the 'squeeze clamps' or whatever you call that pistol grip joke of a clamp.

18. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    ooorrrrrrr you could just use the correct bit. o_O

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I think the real answer is, "why didn't the CNC guy make the holes for you!"
    I'll get some of these bits though. Honestly never tried anything like it except for unibits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

I don't have any "my guys"....

the silence can be beautiful and deafening

• Like Like x 1