• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dual Boot?

jdb

I just got another new computer running xp pro. I have some programs that are not compatible with xp that I would like to be able to run on this. My question is, is it possible to take a hard drive out of a computer running windows 98se with the programs on it and install it in the new computer, maybe have it set up as a dual boot? I've heard of this and would like to do it if possible. The new computer is an amd athlon64 dual core with 2 gigs ram(x2).

Thanks, jdb

SignBurst PCs

I guess anything is possilbe, but not likely in the way you describe it.

You could create a dual boot on your XP system, but MANY motherboards are not compatible with 98/ME.

It would be "iffy" at best.

GK

I just got another new computer running xp pro. I have some programs that are not compatible with xp that I would like to be able to run on this. My question is, is it possible to take a hard drive out of a computer running windows 98se with the programs on it and install it in the new computer, maybe have it set up as a dual boot? I've heard of this and would like to do it if possible. The new computer is an amd athlon64 dual core with 2 gigs ram(x2).

Thanks, jdb

It is a possible solution, however you are most likely going to run into hardware issues. There hasn't been support since July 06 for Windows 98SE so you might want to check every piece of hardware in the computer to make sure you can run it.

jdb

huh...how do you check hardware to make sure? And, do I just take the hard drive out, plug it in the new computer, start 'er up and see what happens? What would be the steps?

SignBurst PCs

You would have to lookup hardware models (motherboard and video are going to be the most likely to not be comaptible).

Then you would have to put a new harddrive in your XP system (or partition your existing drive), install 98 on it, and then install software and migrate files.

No, it is not just unplugging a drive and plugging it in the new one. You could do that if you just want the raw data (files), but Windows wouldn't boot and you applications wouldn't run.

If you have never done it before, then I wouldn't recommend doing it on a production computer that you rely on.

signage

No you would need to check the hardware on the computer and go to the manufatures website and see if they have drivers, you would then most likely need to do a complete reinstall of the OS for the new computer. I have tried what you are talking about doing with two IBM of the same type only about a year apart and the drive from one would not work in the other!

jdb

Thanks for the input. Looks like I have yet another new computer, this one will be a dust collector I guess, or a paper weight.

Sign_Boy

Thanks for the input. Looks like I have yet another new computer, this one will be a dust collector I guess, or a paper weight.

A heads up.... If you decide to sell it, throw it out, or give it away I'd remove the HD.
This way people can not recover your info on it.

Techman

lots of people use caddy's to swap out hard drives. One drive will have win 98 another will have xp. Works great...

jdb

Sign Boy, there is no info on this yet, just got it. George, I tried compatibility mode. Could'nt load the drivers though, which I have on disk. Did'nt find the plug either. Techman, what's a caddy? I think I still have a small shred of hope left in me, mostly bummed with a costly oversight.

signage

Techman could you tell me how to do this without having to get the drivers for the other system board. The drives I have are swappable just like caddies. TIA

Sign_Boy

Sign Boy, there is no info on this yet, just got it. George, I tried compatibility mode. Could'nt load the drivers though, which I have on disk. Did'nt find the plug either. Techman, what's a caddy? I think I still have a small shred of hope left in me, mostly bummed with a costly oversight.

Don't give up hope yet, I'm sure these tech geniuses will be able to help you out.:thumb:

SignBurst PCs

Switching out hard drives in a caddy is really not much different than throwing in an additional drive and dual-booting. You would still need the drivers and to load the OS on the new board.

Techman

essentially,, a caddy is special tray that holds the hard drive. With it is a special carrier that allows you to slide out the hard drive and slide in another. It turns the hard drive into a cassette. The wires all stay connected to the tray.
Just shut down your machine swap the drives and reboot. All set and ready to run. No need to go into bios or any other superfluous dual booting tricks.

it works great for some of us who do a lot of testing of hardware.
I have one machine here that I use such a technique for testing hardware with win 98, xp, and vistula fistula...