Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual monitor question

Discussion in 'Corel' started by CanuckSigns, Apr 8, 2020.

1. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    Is it possible to open 2 different files on a dual monitor setup? I need to copy/paste a bunch of info from one .CDR file to a new document I'm creating, I can't figure out how to open the existing file on one monitor, and the new file on my second monitor, is it possible?

Using Corel draw 2018

Tags:
  2. netsol

netsol Active Member

Apr 26, 2016
    englishtown, nj
    it's not a dual monitor question
    can corel 2018 open 2 files at once? ( haven't used corel in 20 years)
    if you can open 2 files at once in corel, you could resize and have 2 screens side by side
    on one monitor

i assume this doesn't work, so,, can you open the first file, copy to clipboard, close the file.
    open the second file, paste

repeat

• Like Like x 1
  3. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

Are your monitors connected to two different computers? Otherwise it shouldn't be any different than copy and pasting between two windows on the same monitor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

You don't need to open two Corel Draw windows to copy and paste from one file to another. Just open both files in the same window. They come up on tabs, and you switch between them using the tabs. You did know Corel Draw has tabs, didn't you? They've been there for many years.

If you have dual monitors you can open two instances of Corel Draw. But why bother when you can copy paste in the same window?

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I'm a fan of keyboard shortcuts.
    Click on object
    ctrl + C
    ctrl + tab
    ctrl + V
    ctrl + tab (to return to original document)
    repeat

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    It's not a problem. You can launch Corel twice and drag one to your second monitor and open the same or different files on each instance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    I'm aware of how tabs work, but I'm trying to avoid having to jump between tabs a few hundred times.

Ideally I would have document 1 open on monitor 1, and document 2 on monitor 2 and be able to select an object in document 1, copy, then paste it into document 2 without having to minimise anything or switch tabs. Possible?

8. Zendavor Signs

Zendavor Signs Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Peoria, IL
    Would it be faster to import a bunch of files at one time? Guess it depends on the type of files you are trying to copy from. I'm not Corel savvy. Adobe lets you import a bunch of files and just place them all around your open document.

9. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    why copy and paste?

IMO too much extra work
    open the source file, make the edits as needed and SAVE AS for the new filename

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dunca

Dunca New Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Edmonton, Alberta

11. Dunca

Dunca New Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Go to graphic properties and clic extend display

12. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Isn’t it just as simple as, say, illustrator?

say I had two files open, I can switch between them from the file names up top (what you’ll be doing now). But if you drag and drop that file name instead of clicking it, it’ll open it In a new window. Then just drag that window to the other screen then maximise.

13. KMC

KMC Graphic Artist

Feb 12, 2018
    Alberta
    like this?
    upload_2020-4-9_8-27-10.png

14. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

Yes, you can do that. Not only that, you can drag and drop the item across the windows too.

15. JimmyG

JimmyG Premium Subscriber

Apr 1, 2005
    Register, GA
    Yes you can, its easier for me...open 1 instance, move it to the 2nd monitor, then double click desktop icon to open 2nd instance for first monitor. I also use drag and drop and do it to take parts from old x7 files.

16. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Fun fact, corel x6 on windows 7 will allow for dragging and dropping from the downloads window/bar in chrome directly into corel documents.
    Windows 10 and Corel 2019 do not allow for this.
    Can anyone say if new corel does it?

17. McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs McDonald Signs & Graphics

Feb 11, 2013
    Guin, Alabama
    I have dual monitors and use CoreDraw. You can open Corel Draw one time of right side monitor then open up CoreDraw again on the left side monitor and Copy and paste back and forth

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Roto

Roto Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Australia
    You Rip the Tabs away from the main toolbar and drag it to the other monitor.

19. JimmyG

JimmyG Premium Subscriber

Apr 1, 2005
    Register, GA
    That rip method works but you don't have any tools to work with on the tab that is ripped to another monitor. For that reason I prefer to open to 2 instances for 2 tabs.

20. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    Bumping the thread to add a couple comments (since I didn't a couple months earlier when this thread first got going).

In regards to launching multiple instances of CorelDRAW to drag elements from one document to another, that is definitely not necessary with later versions of CorelDRAW. A single instance of CorelDRAW can be opened on one monitor. Multiple documents can be dragged outside of the program window onto a second monitor (or additional monitors). It's usually easier to go to the Window menu and choose "Cascade" before dragging any open documents to other monitors (it's glitchy with a tabbed view setup). Tool bars and palettes (such as Object Manager) can be dragged outside of the CorelDRAW program window onto other monitors as well.

Older versions of CorelDRAW would not allow any open document windows or user interface elements to be dragged outside of the main program window. I can't remember which version changed that behavior. It was an overdue update; most of Adobe's applications would allow all sorts of stuff to be dragged outside the program window and onto other monitors many years prior to that.

• Like Like x 1