Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual monitor question

Discussion in 'Corel' started by CanuckSigns, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Keith van der Westhuizen

Keith van der Westhuizen New Member

Oct 12, 2018
    South Africa
    Hi Bobby,

If you are using CorelDraw 2020, you don't need to open 2 instances of corel.
    Just open the 2 files, then drag the one tab to the other screen and maximize it.

Then you can work seamlessly between the 2 documents.

2. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    Yes Keith, I know you don't need multiple instances of CorelDRAW open to have multiple documents displayed on multiple monitors (I said that on the previous page). CanuckSigns was the original poster who asked the question if more than one instance was needed (regarding CorelDRAW 2018).

3. TammieH

TammieH Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Pacific NW
    Also, not sure about Corel Draw, but I assume you can do the same as in Illustrator, (I believe this is a Windows Feature)
    Open a file in illustrator shrink the window by half or whatever you like,
    next open another file "creating a Tab of course. Next, simply click the tab and drag it out of the main Illy window. Now you can easily drag and drop objects

Attached Files:

4. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    Adobe Illustrator has had the capability to move documents (as well as palettes and toolbars) outside the program window and even onto additional monitors for a long time. I think this goes back as far as the 1990's. IIRC, even the last couple or so Windows versions of Macromedia Freehand supported this behavior. It's a more recent development with CorelDRAW.

Although Windows supports applications that allow users to "tear off" and move application elements outside of the parent window it's not a mandatory feature for applications made to run on Windows. I've encountered many Windows applications that would not allow anything to display outside of the application window. UI elements would either butt-up against the application window border or start disappearing under the border. The MacOS (both "classic" and OSX) has had a longer tradition of allowing documents and UI elements to flow outside the application window's borders and multiple monitors.

5. kcollinsdesign

kcollinsdesign Active Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Normal, Illinois
    For me, two monitors distracting. I find tabbing between two files easier on the brain (and the neck).

6. OADesign

OADesign Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    California
    ^ This.

Or maybe I'm missing something from OP. What I do in Flexi and illustrator (with a couple extra steps), I assume Corel supports this work flow too. Maybe. Maybe not.
    Open destination document, locate source doc in file explorer (not file open dialog). Drag source into destination doc.