• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

dual monitos

slappy

Who uses? And how do you use it? I just got a small acer at staples and trying to figure out how to use it. My problem was that customers would accidentally poke my laptop screen. I've had my LCD replaced not once, but i'm on the 4th one. So, since i figured my laptop was $2200, i'd invest into a $80 poke away monitor, but i will probably cover it with some plexi. But i'd like to know how to use dual monitors at a sign shop.
When i first plugged it in (VGA) it showed everything on my laptop sceen i was doing. I don't want to do that with the other monitor. I'd like to do a side show of photos, supply a netflix movie if a customer is waiting on a install for the other end of our business, or show sign layouts. How can i do this:help

WildWestDesigns

I don't think you can do that with a laptop(don't know though as I haven't run a screen to a laptop, keyboard and mouse yes, but not a screen). Right click on your desktop, go to personalize, display, change display settings and see if it shows more then one monitor hooked up to your laptop. If it does, find the one that is the "poke away" monitor and have the multiple display set up to "extend desktop". Also make sure that your physical laptop monitor is set up as the primary.

I use a desktop with a 3 monitor hookup, but my laptop is all by itself.

However, I should warn you once you start adding monitors it's hard to go take them away.

zmatalucci

I have dual monitors in my monument sales office. I reserve one for design that the customer can see, and the other one for pricing & typing up the sales agreement.
Also, when my 2 year old is in, the second monitor serves as a dedicated sponge bob stream so daddy can still get his work done;-)
It's the best thing I ever did!

2972renfro

Yes you can run dual monitors on laptops. I do so with my laptop. but it is a Mac. I'm sure PC lappies can do the same

slappy

yup Eric, 4 LCD screens. I tell every customer since the last screen i had replaced not to touch, not to touch and if you get close, i'm going to just print it (black and white) and you can poke at that. But accidents always happened and most of it's down when they don't realize their finger is "really that close" and woops! There it goes. I fill like one of those guys in the karate movies that tries to block pokers anymore. So, i got another monitor and Dells service has been great to me. My warranty actually expired today and i renewed it for another year for $185. Plus they sent me 2 chargers ( one by accident) So i have 3, well 2. First one bite the dust, second one i had to buy, and it was wrong so they sent out a replacement and with the service contract i got i shouldn't have even paid for the other. Then another one came a few day later for free. So i keep one in my bag and the other is ready at the shop.

Wildwest, yeah i researched it and watched some videos on youtube and it can be done on a laptop under those settings... I just want to know how people in the sign field use the dual deal.

And Zeth, that is exactly what i'm trying to do it sounds. How did you set it up? With the "extend my monitor option?" i also have nvidia which has some wizard setup, but i never used nvidia settings since i got the laptop

zmatalucci

When I ordered my computer, I made sure my video card would support dual monitors. When I plugged them in, it worked... I'm not very technical when it comes to computers as you can see.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I don't think you can do that with a laptop(don't know though as I haven't run a screen to a laptop, keyboard and mouse yes, but not a screen).

any modern laptop can do this... just connect the monitor to the available VGA port or HDMI port and set your settings as in previous posts...

Techman

+1
I have a huge lcd screen/hdtv for visitors and i work using the HP lappy screen. It's connected via the hdmi cable.

WildWestDesigns

any modern laptop can do this... just connect the monitor to the available VGA port or HDMI port and set your settings as in previous posts...

I just never bothered with it to be honest. I just use it to run the printers, cutter and embroidery heads and that's about it.

Now in the office that's a whole different situation.

Here's my setup

I wish...:omg:

Attachments

• office2.jpg
    office2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 81

WildWestDesigns

One thing that gets me is why isn't the ability to set up different wallpaper or even have a single wallpaper stretched across all or a portion of the monitors offered natively in windows?

I had to use the dual monitor tool to get it to work on my setup. It's a small thing I know, but I still have to wonder why it isn't in there natively, unless it is and I'm just missing something.

jayhawksigns

I don't think I could go back to a single monitor. What sucked was when I tried to have two 19" crt monitors on my desk, makes you love lcds that much more.

Trying to get dual monitors setup on every computer in our office, think it helps productivity a lot.

VitalSignsInc

i am using dual monitors running windows 7. I have one monitor on like a lazy susan that spins. So when customers come in i hit the windows key and P and it will switch to duplicates and then they can sit and watch me proof a sign and not be breathing over my shoulder. when the leave i hit the windows P and go back to extended screens. I love it it one monitor sign lab the other estimate