• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dumb move...paint won't dry.

Pat Whatley

Annual Christmas parade is tomorrow night. the walls of our float were going to be made from coro, I didn't like the idea of using white so I decided to paint it red.

Now I've done this 100 times before with no problem using corogloss ink. Several months ago I bought about 50 gallons of ink and paint from a screen printing/sign shop and figured I'd just use a quart of that. When I pulled out the can I would have sworn I grabbed Coroplas ink but No....being an idiot I pulled out Chromatic Bulletin Enamel. Don't ask me how I didn't catch that....it was 12:15 am and I just wasn't thinking straight. I walked in this morning and the smell immediately let me know what I'd done.

Anyway, I painted them 24 hours ago and they're still tacky. The signs have been in a room at about 55 degrees most of that time, one of them got drug outside into the sun around noon, it feels a little better but it's still sticky.

So, any chance that the paint is going to dry by tomorrow or do I need to start scrambling to figure out a new plan?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Putting a fan behind it and letting the air flow to pass over it and not directly aimed at it is your best chance.

Even if it dries, I don't think you'll be able to re-position any vinyl on it. Once it's down, it won't move very well without taking red with it.

If it doesn't dry by tomorrow, I'd wipe it down and put some red vinyl on it like suggested.

ova

At least you won't have to worry about anyone falling off of the float. They'll be stuck to the paint. J/K

If it's not dry by tomorrow, try a craft store. Get some cheap red felt type cloth and stick it to the wet paint. We just bought some black to cover some shelves. It came in a 3ft width any length you want. They cut it off a roll. Six feet cost us about $11.

Hope this helps

Dave

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Red takes time but they should be dry by tomorrow. Was the paint sitting around for a while? if so was it mixed well?

You could put them in a small room with a space heater.

Pat Whatley

Putting a fan behind it and letting the air flow to pass over it and not directly aimed at it is your best chance.

Even if it dries, I don't think you'll be able to re-position any vinyl on it. Once it's down, it won't move very well without taking red with it.

If it doesn't dry by tomorrow, I'd wipe it down and put some red vinyl on it like suggested.

I think that's what I'm going to do, plus put them in the heated part of the building. Just thought to go check where it had dripped on the floor and the streaks from being walked through are still tacky so I'm hoping it's just a temperature thing.

Plus, there are ten 4x8 panels....no way I'm wiping all of that down to reuse.

Fitch

Mike Paul +1

Get it into the smallest room possible, place a fan side on - NOT front on and put some heaters into it.

Just be careful to keep it on there right up to the last minute. You need to dry from top down. Chances are if you don't, as soon as you put it out in the cold, the under coat will "melt" or bleed through and it will be wet again.

If the finish is not required to be first class, you could also HVLP some white spirit or turps THINLY over the top oh so lightly, and evenly. This will help to dry top down.

Good luck.

Cheers - G

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
If they don't dry you could hit the dollar store and buy some cheap plastic red table cloths and a roll of duct tape and wrap those puppies...

artbot

+1 on the red glitter. if it's sticky enough.
if you have a dehumidifier i'd add that to the mix. the dryer the air the better unless you are using a moisture cure urethane.

SignManiac

Pat I know what it's like to be racing the clock. We have our annual parade on Saturday night and I just started building our float today. That only leaves me tomorrow to get it done, and this year I have two to build. Good luck with the paint drying.