• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Dumbest Thing in Your Shop

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There's a Dunkin Donut right down the street, WaWa, Shettz and just about every other kinda jelly-belly place all with 1/4 mile, but none of the cops are overweight. In fact, they almost all look like total body builders, full of tattoos. Ya don't wanna mess with them. I likey them as friends.

TXFB.INS

customer bought 3 feather flags and got pissed when the flags cannot be read when there was no breeze.
instead of asking how to fix it, which is to drive the ground spike in at an angle as we showed them when they picked up the products, they bent the frames and the frames broke.
Now they are claiming "defective products" and want a warranty replacement

Mysticalvibes

Glad I don't live in the community they serve!
Reminds me in a car dealers near me. They phoned one day asking for us to put graphics on a 4x4 for them. After sending them a design, the same as one we done previously for them they phoned to tell us not to bother as they'd just found the last one in a shopping centre car park when they left it to advertise. The vehicle was brand new and worth over £20,000!!!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

ironchef

Dumbest thing as me 4 years ago, accidentally shot myself in the pinky with a. 45 1911 hollow point. Lol
38401c881756a0bbe9af6f3a58b9d2f2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

C

ColoPrinthead

Can we see some real pics of your mom now - like soon but old picture of her in her prime?

T_K

Boss had hired a customer's kid as a favor to him, and as we needed an extra pair of hands. This kid knew everything and was unteachable - and I've been training people in every job I've ever held, so I'm used to working with newbies. Anyway, after several months, the kid was still messing up jobs consistently. One day, I'm standing there as he's laying down a print. He's using bad technique and I correct him. He blows me off and keeps going. So I sit back and watch him fail, knowing that can be a good teaching tool. He screws up and we have to reprint. This time I show him exactly what he needs to do. He blows me off again. We go through 3 prints before I'm able to get him off the job and do it myself. My boss kept the kid on for a long time after that. We wasted so much money that way.

Sign.ed

Boss had hired a customer's kid as a favor to him, and as we needed an extra pair of hands. This kid knew everything and was unteachable - and I've been training people in every job I've ever held, so I'm used to working with newbies. Anyway, after several months, the kid was still messing up jobs consistently. One day, I'm standing there as he's laying down a print. He's using bad technique and I correct him. He blows me off and keeps going. So I sit back and watch him fail, knowing that can be a good teaching tool. He screws up and we have to reprint. This time I show him exactly what he needs to do. He blows me off again. We go through 3 prints before I'm able to get him off the job and do it myself. My boss kept the kid on for a long time after that. We wasted so much money that way.

I had a similar situation, but would make him turn in the job as finished. When the owner was unhappy I would then make the employee explain why he refused my advice and technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: T_K

bannertime

I had a similar situation, but would make him turn in the job as finished. When the owner was unhappy I would then make the employee explain why he refused my advice and technique.

I did that once with an employee that kept putting out subpar jobs. I knew a customer that was picking up was very picky and I didn't want to have to explain why we were redoing his signs. I wanted the employee to understand what I had to go through every time they messed up. The signs had a crease going down the short edge and a crooked trim on one. So I had the employee take the signs up to the customer and he said "oh wow these are great!" I had just told the employee how he was going to have to explain why he thought the signs he was making were acceptable. Yet, the customer said perfect, paid and left.

I couldn't help but laugh at how badly that failed. The employee was later taken off production.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au

I did that once with an employee that kept putting out subpar jobs. I knew a customer that was picking up was very picky and I didn't want to have to explain why we were redoing his signs. I wanted the employee to understand what I had to go through every time they messed up. The signs had a crease going down the short edge and a crooked trim on one. So I had the employee take the signs up to the customer and he said "oh wow these are great!" I had just told the employee how he was going to have to explain why he thought the signs he was making were acceptable. Yet, the customer said perfect, paid and left.

I couldn't help but laugh at how badly that failed. The employee was later taken off production.

This is why i couldn't hire someone to do my job. People pay thousands and even tens of thousands for our glass prints. These have to be 110% perfect. no banding, if it's multiple pieces, they need to line up. Colour needs to be correct. Therefore the printer needs to be running at its best all the time.
I have heard enough stories from other printers here that dont care about the quality as long as it leaves the shop.

I've had people help when we're in full production mode, and sometimes i cringe when i see a mistake about to happen.

T_K

This is why i couldn't hire someone to do my job. People pay thousands and even tens of thousands for our glass prints. These have to be 110% perfect. no banding, if it's multiple pieces, they need to line up. Colour needs to be correct. Therefore the printer needs to be running at its best all the time.
I have heard enough stories from other printers here that dont care about the quality as long as it leaves the shop.

I've had people help when we're in full production mode, and sometimes i cringe when i see a mistake about to happen.

At some point, I'd agree that perfection has to submit to actually putting out product and making money. I know that someone somewhere will pay for cheap crap (e.g. McDonalds, Walmart, etc.). But I'd rather not be known as the bargain basement shop. I also have a tendency towards perfectionism, which can be a useful tool as long as I don't let it take over my life.

It sounds like you're in a special niche that requires extra special attention to quality control. I'd be much more lenient about a coro yard sign than I would about a glass print. But the customer shouldn't be expecting the same quality from cheap crap and durable specialty prints.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
At some point, I'd agree that perfection has to submit to actually putting out product and making money. I know that someone somewhere will pay for cheap crap (e.g. McDonalds, Walmart, etc.). But I'd rather not be known as the bargain basement shop. I also have a tendency towards perfectionism, which can be a useful tool as long as I don't let it take over my life.

It sounds like you're in a special niche that requires extra special attention to quality control. I'd be much more lenient about a coro yard sign than I would about a glass print. But the customer shouldn't be expecting the same quality from cheap crap and durable specialty prints.

We do more than glass, but it's our main market. But i like everything that goes out to be perfect. If it's a cheap product on cheap material, well im lenient on that. but for example, some of our aluminium we get, when pulling off the protective layer, it leaves invisible lines on it until printed in these lines show. i printed a sign for a customer and they showed up (switched to another brand and it's all good now) and i wasn't happy with it. i said to my client if he wants it, he can have it and i'll deduct a percentage off it. So he saw it and was very happy with it. the lines didn't bother him.

If someone wants cheap and nasty, i can give them straight cheap and nasty, i.e cheap material printed on a generic express mode.

• Agree
Reactions: T_K

jfiscus

Rap Master
We had a police chief drop off a car for an installation, we did the install and let him know it was ready for pickup. The car then proceeded to sit in out lot for 8 months. It turns out that that week he was involved in a real bad accident, he was the only one who knew the car was at our shop, and when he returned to duty noticed that the new car wasn't there... Finally he called here asking if we still had it. We do a lot of local departments and it seems they forget about a lot of their fleet, I think everyone just assumes it is at one of the "upfitter shops".

ddarlak

Go Bills!
We had a police chief drop off a car for an installation, we did the install and let him know it was ready for pickup. The car then proceeded to sit in out lot for 8 months. It turns out that that week he was involved in a real bad accident, he was the only one who knew the car was at our shop, and when he returned to duty noticed that the new car wasn't there... Finally he called here asking if we still had it. We do a lot of local departments and it seems they forget about a lot of their fleet, I think everyone just assumes it is at one of the "upfitter shops".

I can't believe you let it sit there for 8 months...

I think I would have tried a little harder to find someone to pick it up...

jfiscus

Rap Master
I can't believe you let it sit there for 8 months...

I think I would have tried a little harder to find someone to pick it up...
We've got a large lot, it isn't the first time we've stored vehicles for indecisive customers. We have a limo here currently that has been here 6 months now still waiting to be wrapped...