• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

duratran material ?

petepaz

customer called about getting some backlit panels for an LED menu display. they requested duratran material. i searched and got some info but not enough to purchase.
does anyone know anything about this material or where to get it?
i couldn't find a vendor/
also couldn't find out what types of printers can be used with this material?

Letterbox Mike

by Duratrans they probably just mean a generic backlit film print. Technically a Duratrans print is a backlit lightjet print, but not a lot of folks do that still, it's all inkjet now. Try Mike at Merritt, they used to have a Lightjet, I'd assume they still do, worth asking.

Realistically, you can do it yourself with your inkjet, we print them all the time on Sihl 3549 backlit film on our GS6000. It's a good idea to double-strike the print for extra ink density. We've even printed three ink layers on them and the color really really pops then, but it's overkill sometimes...

petepaz

thanks for the input. i already make back lit panels for them on a polyester back lit material and no problems but they have this new project and they have samples of duratran back lits and they like the look of that better so i have to find a way to get that or tell them i can't. i will try the suggestions above
thanks again for the help

Letterbox Mike

Call Merritt then if it has to be a real Duratrans. If they don't still do it I'm sure Mike will refer you to someone who does.

boxerbay

duratrans is backlit film that is developed in a kodak developer type printer using chemicals like traditional photoprints from a photo lab.

people use the term for any translucent backlit type material.

we use SBL7 with the new colorburst epson backlit 1440 x1440 profile.