• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DX7 Roland BN20 Printhead does it take 28 x Pin Cables, 29 x Pin Cable or mixed? anyone know?

adamfromayr

DX7 Roland BN20 Printhead does it take 28 x Pin Cables, 29 x Pin Cable or mixed? anyone know?

I have been restoring 2 x BN20 Printers

Ive mixed up the cables but i see the Carriage board takes a similar cable

Im getting zero inks out my printhead now on BOTH Machines after replacing all the tubes

So after hard weeks work i decided to take time out and study the service manual carefully

But on the head cable it doesnt even mention the part number? When searching online it says the printhead cables is a 28 pin cable or 29 x pin cable

There or so it seems to be conflicting information out there saying its a 28 x pin cable & also a 29 x pin cable

They are so similar maybe ive mixed these up hence no ink output

But looking at the manual diagram carefully as seen below it looks like it could be a mix of 28 & 29 pin cables

Does anyone know for 100% certain which cables they take? from the BN20 Main board to the printhead?

If we look at the numbers on the diagram below

It says@ 3 x of them say NO:1

And the 4th cable says NO: 2

mmmmmmmm

Anyone know the answer please share and help my heartache!

Thanks
:D

Screenshot (81).png

damonCA21

I'm not sure, but there should be a page ( probably the next one after the diagram ) that has the part numbers and CN numbers for each of the cables shown

adamfromayr

HI Damon

I had Both working but after i changed some parts

Both now have zero ink coming out again

Im having a small break until i know 100% which cables go where as the smallest error could or maybe already blown 2 x dx7 printheads! hope not

On the 1st BN20 i changed all the pipes yesterday also and ink filled up much easier

My yellow looks dull so soon i will buy some new fresh genuine eco sol max 3 inks but will wait until this gets fixed

The next page i know what you mean but guess what Items 1 and 2 have ZERO Part numbers the only parts that dont show the part number, its blank in the part number box

Measuring is a good idea

adamfromayr

OH Dear

Each cable to the head on both machines for the " Heads and Carriage boards " are all 30mm

None are 29mm

Must mean they are all 29 pins and NO 28 x pin cables so cant be that!

I will look at each one under a LED Magnifying glass today

anyone else know why no inks getting to the heads again?

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
Do you get any ink when you do a test print? If you switch cables while the printers were on, you may have blown the fuses.

adamfromayr

Thanks for replying i will have to look into where the fuses are located but i know both main boards re showing a steady green led

And they all move etc oky

But no ink is coming out now on both machines

I did have them both working but as i was changing parts and cables etc

It just stopped, no ink on any tests, inc the test print

I have not switched oin yet as im going to check all the cables very careully before plugging in again

I was concerned one of the DX7 Print head cables was a 28 x pin cable and the other were 29 x pins

ive mixed all my cables up now but they all measure 30mm

The diagram shows above

the head cables as 3 of the same yet a 4th cable has a different number!

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
Understood. These heads are notoriously easy to blow if not installed and connected correctly, hopefully that isn't what happened to you.

damonCA21

If the printer wasn't completely discharged when you took the cables off or plugged them in it is very easy to blow the main board head fuses. When this happens the printer will seem to operate as normal, but no ink will be fired from the head.
That would be my first thing to check. I'm not sure if the BN20 has one or two fuses, but they will be on the main board and are small white rectangular surface mounted one ( note not the bigger fuses on the power supply boards, they are on the mainboard itself )

adamfromayr

I will order these fuses now as a back up though looks like they are just for the motors and heater all of these are working ok

But will try anyway

But i still wonder if the Heads take 2 x types of cables still not sure about this as they are number 3 x No: 1 and 1 x No: 2

Screenshot (87).png

adamfromayr

Update; One x fuse was blown on the 1st BN20

I have ordered some more new fuses

The other fuses were ok, but its promising so far

damonCA21

OK, I think the two main board fuses also control the head, so if they are both ok then it more likely to be the cables are the problem ( and if it was working ok before you took them off ).
As solventinkjet says, check the cables to see if you have 3 the same and one that has a different end on it

adamfromayr

What do you mean by inverted? i know the 4 x cables = both pairs face each other but not sure what you mean by inverted?

Look what i read and found out!

Thanks Guys as always

Will check tomorrow carefully i know they all measured 30mm
Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 21-59-14 Generic Main Board Fuse for Roland Printers 3.15mA.png

adamfromayr

solventinkjet + Damon thanks once again guys :D

Thats solves the myserty

The cable in the service manual number different than the other 3 x head cables will be the inverted one

You know guys i thought that was a damaged cable i had hence why Swapping bits around

So there you have it, One of the cables the Number 2 cable must be the inverted one AWESOME! Maybe i used that on the Carriage board hence why i blew a fuse etc

At least i know they are not damaged and Fuses should come tomorrow and i know the cables go now for 100% sure!

:clapping:

Untitled.jpg

damonCA21

I have found one thing with working on printers is you tend to make mistakes ( hopefully not too expensive ) and that is how you learn, and also if you are working on a faulty printer then you know which things to check.

Blowing the fuses is very common, the amount of posts on here from people who have changed head cables or unplugged them, then the head doesn't work afterwards !