• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Eco-Solvent Durability For Outdoor Use

xxtoni

I am interested in the durability of eco-solvent for outdoor use, without lamination.

Does anyone have experience with this and if so how long does it usually last outside ?

I've talked with the ink manufacturer and they're telling me 6-12 months before the ink starts to fade. I also have a print done with eco-solvent on the roof of our of our company cars, we did it last summer, so it's almost a year now and while it has started fading a little but it's not terrible, this is a different ink however.

What are your experiences with eco-solvent vs mild solvet and solvent for outdoor use ? Some people are telling me that eco-solvent lasts almost as long as solvent but I'm not convinced.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
We printed some small decals when Roland's Eco sol max came out and installed it to our dumpster. It was installed on a vertical surface so it didn't get sun all day and looked good years later. We chose to laminated everything for several reasons. 1. cast vinyl is difficult to install unlamented or with out mask. 2. you have no control over the abuse it is going to take; washing, waxing, abrasion, chemicals, acid rain... 3. it is difficult to remove especially after it has been on for several years. For our piece of mind and ease of install we chose to laminate everything. If someone had a short term project we would do it with intermediate film, but the customer understood the shortcomings and understood there was no warrantee. It is really no different than a banner but potential takes a lot more abuse depending on the application.

xxtoni

My fault...I should clarify something. I am not talking about vehicle graphics, we laminate those as well.

I am talking about general outdoor prints like banners, bilboards and things like that. It is not cost effective to laminate any of those and you can't even laminate some.

Sorry for the confusion.

I wanted to know what your experiences are with durability of unlaminated eco-solvent outdoors compared to solvent.

EDIT:

Examples of what I mean are bilboards, wall scapes, one way vision and things like that.

AceSignsOnline

Personally, I don't put too much worry into fading when it comes to billboards and banners. They're constantly changing, and it tends to happen well before any sort of fading becomes an issue.

ETA: I don't claim to be an expert. Just a tightass.

petepaz

we have been using eco-sol inks for about 7 or 8 years and never had any issues. we do laminate the majority of the stuff but we have done some decals or banners that don't get laminated and never had them come back. also had an American flag decal, un-laminated on my car for about 3 years and it started fading after 1 but still looked ok.

xxtoni

we have been using eco-sol inks for about 7 or 8 years and never had any issues. we do laminate the majority of the stuff but we have done some decals or banners that don't get laminated and never had them come back. also had an American flag decal, un-laminated on my car for about 3 years and it started fading after 1 but still looked ok.

Thanks a bunch!

That's what I needed.

So it started fading after 1 year, 3 years in how much fade was there ?

Mosh

I have laminated signs up all over that are 8 years old. Still look good today.

xxtoni

after 3 years the red was getting brownish but the blue was still pretty good.

Great, do you happen to know how long the manufacturer rated the ink for outdoor use ?

The thing that concerned me the most is that the manufacturer gave it 6-12 months.

petepaz

not sure but you can just check with roland. 6-12 months sounds odd because they told us about 12 months on their uv inks so the solvents would be longer

xxtoni

not sure but you can just check with roland. 6-12 months sounds odd because they told us about 12 months on their uv inks so the solvents would be longer

This ink is from a different manufacturer, it's not Roland.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

wmshuman

I have a sign outside my shop that was printed in 2009 on a Roland Versacamm using Eco-Sol ink. It only sees morning sun but is not laminated and still looks good; very minimal fading if any. I am located in an area that doesn't get really hot except maybe one or two months out of the year. The other months are usually between 40-80 degrees except for the winter when it actually gets cold.

Anyhow, I was told that the ink can be outside in average conditions for 2-3 years without fading. Places with extreme climates like Texas or Florida may not get quite that much time but places like Ohio, may get little longer.

darby07

Been using eco-solvent inks for a long time now and our banner prints last for 3 years on average without fading. Except for reds. Reds ALWAYS fade after a year or so