• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

EDDM Postcards

fdkss03

Doing our first EDDM card.... couple questions?

Do you as the designer put the endica on the card as well as "Local Postal Customer"?

Also, is normal practice... as the printer to drop the cards off at the post office for the client, or have the client do that. I prefer letting the client worry about that!

Thanks for any advise

300mphGraphics

We put everything on the post card when designing. If the element is needed, put it on there or it will have to go back through a press to add it. Doesn't matter who takes it. I usually let the customer to save them a few nickles.

rjssigns

We leave room for all the postal stuff according to their regs. USPS has reference guides to show you whats what. There is a whole raft of things you need to know to have it go off without a hitch. I know. I spent a semester studying correct set-up, postal regs, etc...

Don't know how your printer works but...our printer doesn't care if its right or not. If it fits their template/color coding it goes to the press, period. Bonus is you get to pay them for unusable(un-mailable) prints.

Set it up right the first time to avoid expensive do overs.

fdkss03

cool thanks...

Can I post a pic here and ya let me know if it will go without a hitch or not?
I am designing it in such a way where I think it will be good.

fdkss03

The postcard I am working on is a 6.5x12" mailing...

It is intended to only goto residential, am I able to send it EDDM Retail? Or do I need to use the ECRWSS Indicia?

royster13

would it not be better to go to the "source" rather than asking here and getting our "interpretation" of the rules....The rules are complex and I would hate for you to get it wrong based on an opinion here....Good luck...

fdkss03

thanks... I will stop by my local post office tomorrow morning with a sample and let them tell me if it will work or not.

Thyll

Roster13 is correct. I used to do a lot of direct mail at a large printing company. The USPS has very specific rules. Find your local BMEU (bulk mail entry unit). They should have someone who can assist you with questions and even let you submit a design for approval. I would be careful with that size. I am not not exactly sure about EDDM but I know that if a postcard gets larger than 6 1/8 x 11 1/2 it causes your per piece price to go up as it is considered a "flat".

bikecomedy

Acceptable common printer friendly sizes:

6.5 x 9
6.5 x 12
8 x 6.5
8 x 10
8.5 x 11
9 x 11
9 x 12

Example of how to prepare the card:
EDDM Example.jpg

Only other printing is concern is sag. If you use paper too thin and it sags too much it could be rejected.

Take them into your Postal Office they will be delighted to have someone local to direct customers to for printing them and preparing them. Don't send your client.

Plus the post office is hurting for business they are very positive about this.

You must separte them by carrier, count them, rubber band them and complete some forms explaining where and to whom on the route to deliver.

Never complete them online. Always print the routes online but pay at the post office. You can get them to deliver only businesses if done correctly for your sign shop. The online prints will include many many addresses you will not want and handling them personally you can communicate to what I have found to be very willing Postal Workers and Managers the exact addresses you would like.. for me that is businesses only.

Results vary and the day of the week for delivery is Tuesday for us. Ask you route carrier what kinds of mail he delivers most on each day of the week. They know and if they will share you can target the day that your piece will have the best chance to stand out.

Good Luck

Have always gotten a bigger return than investment from each EDDM piece we've sent.

fdkss03

so something like this would work fine? (not done... just giving an example) :)

I assume that I take it to whatever post office where these will be distributed from...
they will be printed on 16pt card stock, and UV coated on both sides.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 115

bikecomedy

If your assumption includes you dividing them up and labeling them for each carrier then yes. The online system has a form to print for each route. Count them into multiples of 50 or less and rubber band them and label the stack for each carrier.

fdkss03

yes, I would bundle into stacks of 50 or 100... rubber band the facing sheet to them... and deliver to the post office... paying them... not the online USPS. That way the end of the day it represents them... not the online entity which doesn't benefit the local branch.

fdkss03

I am going to stop by the post office today and try to chat with someone about it... see what they say.

bikecomedy

The best answer I ever got at the post office was to contact a EDDM printer on how to do it. I would agree that the post office was not helpful in the beginning on how to do this, the printing part. They are very good at the delivery part. :)

Locals Find!

I do these for my clients a lot and am certified by my local Postmaster in these. When your doing EDDM-Retail you are mailing them as Flats so that isn't as much of a concern.

I occasionally will take these into the post office for my clients and prepare their paperwork for them. However, that is an extra service on top of the printing and designing.

If you need any help with anything shoot me a PM I will be glad to help you anyway I can. EDDM-Retail is really easy once you get the hang of it and sometimes you do have to educate your local postmaster on the program.

You can also utilize EDDM-Retail by shipping your postcards to other regions which is something a lot of people don't realize or take advantage of. I have done them for clients locally that were actually delivered into downtown Chicago. In those cases you ship the postcards to the Postmaster of the post office handling the desired route all ready to go and include a letter with instructions on the EDDM-Retail program.

Techman

I see so many answers here about EDDM. Some seem to be pure speculation.

The best answer was go to the source. Go to the USPS website and look up EDDM. They give complete details and requirements. It is not rocket science. It is important to note that:

The USPS does not flip out over EDDM as they used to with bulk mail. The requirements say the upper right has to have that little square and the second address image has to be in the half. But it does not say where in the half. They just give an image of about where it goes.

Ive observed EDDM pieces with the address image at the top right next to the stamp image. I just sent out 7500 pieces with the address image in the upper right half area. The cards must be banded into bundles.

The paper work is done online with the cost and the mail routes selected. The website calculates every thing for you. You merely print out the paperwork and bundle up your cards.

The post office will give you trays to pack your cards. Take the tray and the paperwork to the clerk. They will scan the barcode, take one piece for a sample, and ask for payment. The clerks do not give you a hassle. The USPS seems to be trying to make this EDDM work.

mark galoob

ive done several of these and ive also done several direct mailouts. you have to treat the post office peeps like 7th graders. I have seen many times mail not getting delivered because the address side is not 100% to usps specs. personally, on the address side I don't design any thing near the address and the endicia mark. I have seen this confuse postal carriers and cause the mailpiece to not be delivered. as for the sizes, there are some strange sizes of postcards that eddm specs so you def want to check w/ usps and get some samples from them. mark galoob