• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge print width- can it be pushed?

Richibahn

Hello all,

I am brand new here, and have signed up to find out some serious info from people who truly use the edge, not the sales pitchers!

I currently manufacture custom motocross graphics, and we use a roland versa-camm- great machine, not for this application. I need to print on 18mil clear pvc, and then kiss, or die cut out these items on a daily basis. Spot color is a must, so I know this machine with the invision plotter will be the machine for me-

BUT- can I push the print width farther than 11.8 inches? I mean, 13 would be optimal, but 12.5 is more close to a must- I know the plotter cuts over 13: wide, so I am wondering if this printing is possible. it will make or break my decision, because if not, i'll have to cut and crop my bike templates, and thats not something i'm willing to compromise. Any help would be great. thanks.

Rich

iSign

Nobody likes the 11.8" limitation, but that's what it is... a limitation.
It's a great machine, but like all things, it has it's limitations.
11.8" printing capacity is one of them.

Last edited:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Hi Rich and welcome to our boards.

The foil is cut to 12" and pushing all the way to it's edge would result in misprints ... so a 1/10th" buffer top and bottom is built in.

You can push the overall height of print and cut combined to somewhere in the 12.5" to 12.75" range with a designed in unprinted outline. I do that all the time. The printed image of a job must be within 11.8" but the cut path can extend beyond that. You can't go all the way to the 13"+ limit of cutting because the Edge doesn't print exactly on the vertical center of the vinyl.

canadianchef

Hi Rich

The Edge is an incredible machine that has been proven over and over again as a true work horse. Unfortunately it can only produce up to 11.8".
You get really good at wallpapering if you require any more than its normal width.
Good Luck !

terry:Canada 2:

PGSigns

May want to look into the DC4 from Summa. Give them a call and tell them what you want to print on. Or if it you have any 30" wide material I'll run a test print for you if you send me some. They have a nice assortment of spot colors.
Jimmy

jkkt

Hello all,

I currently manufacture custom motocross graphics, and we use a roland versa-camm- great machine, not for this application.

Rich

What is the problem with the versa camm for this application? It has been awesome for us. Cuts the 18 mil no issues, Colors are a dream possibilities are endless. I keep hearing people say it is an issue in this application, but we haven't found that. Maybe you just need more time setting up the machine for the application instead of looking for another machine? I saw in another posts you are having issues with the Summa now. Just something to think about. Where are you located?

petepaz

i think the problem with the versa camm is (since i have an edge and a versa)
printing on the clear the colors transparent
other than that it's a great machine it's good to have both machines then the possibilities are endless

Rod

Is it feasible to break a given job into tiles, so as to work within the 11.8" physical constraint?

Rod

Checkers

Hey Rod,
I was wondering if anyone was going to ask that question or expand on Terry's comment about wallpapering. Yes, the edge can print tiled graphics without issues. From what I recall, the only limitation is your computer's processing power. You can set the overlap, color manage, and everything else, just like an inkjet printer.

Checkers

honda

Sorry for dragging up an old thread.
But when you reverse print onto clear pvc with an inkjet. Does the transparecny of the ink become solid when you apply the adhesive to the back?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Not unless you back it with white which most inkjets cannot do.

You would be helping yourself and this forum if you would post a new thread for a new question instead of tagging onto an existing one where your replies will be much less.

smdgrfx

Just so happens, I'm gonna start doing MX decals this week!!! I did lots of sportbike and motorcycle decals in the past with my Edge and didn't ever really run into problems with opacity. Now, I never got into MX stuff because of the thick overlaminates. I ordered some 7mil today, but I'm thinking it's not going to be thick enough now that I read this post. I also have a JV3, but I'm thinking of printing on the edge, laminating, and then cutting. Looking at what the big boys do, it almost looks like they do a second surface print on the laminate and then use a white opaque backer/adhesive laminate to the bottom. I've always wondered exactly how it was done. I wonder if the original poster ever figured out the best way to do this?