• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

edge to edge print

thewood

I haven't operated a JV33. But assuming it is similar to the JV3, it will have a sensor that detects the width of the media prior to printing. Depending on how you have your margins set up in the printer, the printable width of the media is typically .5" or so less than the media width. You can attach vinyl strips to either side of the media and trick the sensor into allowing you to print the full width of the media. It will likely take a bit of trial and error and may drift off a bit during long runs, but it can be done.

thewood

Coincidentally, I had this issue arise today. I had to print a couple of 2' x 8' full bleed banners. Typically, I would just print them at 23.5"--no problem. But just for giggles, I used the above-described method and printed the full 24" on a 24" roll. Worked like a charm. I had to wipe the slightest bit of ink off the platen when I was done, but besides that it went flawlessly.

bentotdagr3at

i have to try that trick.

now i'm trying to print on a 54" material but it will only let me print 52.5" inch, is there something i'm missing? the job is only 53" wide.
i'm running onyx for the rip and if i turn off the area reduction it won't let me print. any ideas?

Dice

You can adjust the margins to get them down to .19 i think. Its a setting on the printer

Dice

Function->Enter->type 1->enter -> 7 Down arrows = Margin

Ours is on -.39 in. What exactly that means i'm not sure, but it translates out to about .19 inches from the edge. We get about 53.45 printable area.

bentotdagr3at

Function->Enter->type 1->enter -> 7 Down arrows = Margin

Ours is on -.39 in. What exactly that means i'm not sure, but it translates out to about .19 inches from the edge. We get about 53.45 printable area.

tried that but our printer prints the small squares for cutting so those starts .25" from the edge and 1" for the image.

where in onyx do i find the option to turn off those registrations?

ColesCreations

Helluvan idea to trick the Mimaki into printing full bleed! Like it!

Some media don't like being cut and will fray...

Anyway; how about gluing down a piece of vinyl on each side and slightly under the banner, to keep ink from getting on the platen?

We have our margins set to the lowest possible, and have maybe 1/4" on ea. side.

Rooster

tried that but our printer prints the small squares for cutting so those starts .25" from the edge and 1" for the image.

where in onyx do i find the option to turn off those registrations?

I'm not sure what it would be in Onyx, but with the Wasatch RIP you just turn off the process cut marks feature. It will probably be part of the cut feature of your print/cut rip.