• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

email and web page down

gabagoo

I wonder how often you guys experience your hosting company making email and web pages unavailable?

Is it a common thing for the sites to go down? I think this may be the second time this year that customers call me telling me that their e-mails to me are getting bounced back.

CS-SignSupply

Are you on a shared server/hosting? If so, very common I think. If the one shared server has 100 clients on it, and one of them has a rogue script, everyone can be affected.

If you are on a dedicated server, bounces I would think should not be common.

As your client to print and fax you a copy of the actual bounced response. This should give you a little insight as to exactly what is happening.

Locals Find!

I have never had that happen. Of course it all depends on who your host is. I mean if your buying hosting from a guy with some servers stacked up in a trailer out in Texas with some T3 lines running into it. (True Example Here actually know someone personally that does this) Well, you get what you pay for.

I get my hosting from a reliable company and its only like $4 a month for the economy bandwidth. If you need more it progresses up from there. Has never gone down in 10 years. If you would like to know who I use just let me know.

Jim Doggett

Rarely. (very) Never a bounced email, of which I am aware, even using the cheapies like Hostmonster, GoDaddy, etc.

showcase 66

Only problem I have ever had was when I had loop of carbon copy emails. had email A cc to email B and then setup email B to cc to email A. That caused a problem for a few days before I figured it out.

gabagoo

its not my host I found out.. It is the imbicile designer web guru who for what ever reason put the domain name in his name and apparently FORGOT to renew my domain from what I can figure out.
So naturally he has not responded to any of my e-mails. The problem is that I have a .ca domain and it is very difficult to change ownership I hear. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr yes my fault 100% for being to ignorant to know back when this was set up that he was supposed to put this in my name (actually I assumed!!! he did)

I guess I could just get a new domain name and redo the emails, but that is going to be a real pain. I'm lucky that I also have an email with my service provider which was in effect long before I set up the new ones so many customers still use that one...thank God

omgsideburns

Just remember, a promise of 99% uptime still leaves a good 3.5 days of down time every year.

...And your designer is an idiot.

Locals Find!

its not my host I found out.. It is the imbicile designer web guru who for what ever reason put the domain name in his name and apparently FORGOT to renew my domain from what I can figure out.
So naturally he has not responded to any of my e-mails. The problem is that I have a .ca domain and it is very difficult to change ownership I hear. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr yes my fault 100% for being to ignorant to know back when this was set up that he was supposed to put this in my name (actually I assumed!!! he did)

I guess I could just get a new domain name and redo the emails, but that is going to be a real pain. I'm lucky that I also have an email with my service provider which was in effect long before I set up the new ones so many customers still use that one...thank God

Lesson to be learned here. Always register your own domain names yourself. Its not complicated takes 5 easy minutes and you guarantee this kinda crap doesn't happen to you again in the future.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
the designer is an idiot?

what does the designer have to do with something as important as purchasing your web address and email address.

this is something that you should have had control over from day one...

gabagoo

the designer is an idiot?

what does the designer have to do with something as important as purchasing your web address and email address.

this is something that you should have had control over from day one...

true except this designer was a good friend who basically was supposed to be looking out for my best interests.

His life has gone to chit the last couple of years and I sort of got dragged in the spiral as far as my domain name goes. You are correct that I should have control and had asked repeatedly that he change the ownership for me.

If I use anyones professional services then I have to make the assumption that they will be working on my best behalf if they expect any future work from me.

I am busy doing what I know best for the most part and cant know what I should have after the fact. Thats life bro. I have admitted 100% responsibility for the dilemma.

gabagoo

wow, what a day. After trying to figure this all out it seems the doamian name was transfered into my name but the company that holds it never sent me a notice for renewal, or if they did it never got to me. Just paid the $$$ and now have to wait another 24 hrs to see if they get me back up and running.

This time I am pinning all the info right next to my work station so I wont have this happen again.

Firefox

I have used Godaddy for what seems like 6 or so years, never a noticeable problem they can auto renew if the card on file is not expired... they always send out notices when something is getting close to renewal.

Plus they have a cute race car girl on the website! (or used to!)