• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Employees on Cell Phones

Should non-essential cell phones be banned in the workplace?

• Total voters

equippaint

The "wealthy ones" are always the ones that benefit....from anything... That's why I'm working in that direction, cause being poor sucked. Lol!
I hear that. Hard work can provide a good life but unfortunately it wont make you wealthy. They just tell you it does so you keep galloping along making them even more money.

AKwrapguy

We have a cell phone tower on our property. I cant say I know for sure how these work but it may do more than just stop the employees.
There was a guy a couple years ago that was arrested for using one, if I remember right he didn't like people on the phone and driving. It caused a dead spot on the interstate so the FCC traced it and arrested him.

There actually have been several. A guy on a city bus, a guy on a train, and a guy that decided to put one in his car. I think the guy that installed one in his car was from Florida.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
The obvious solution is to include the 'no cell phone use during working hours' clause in your employee handbook and then upload it to Google Docs in the cloud. With all their surfing they are bound to run across it sooner or later.

TimToad

Stuff like that happens all over the country. Some of Houston's pride is their absence of zoning laws... They keep voting to keep it that way so... give the people what they want. At least we're not stressing about warning labels on cups of coffee or billion dollar trains that go no where and no one wants to ride..

And those kind of lax regulatory policies and attitudes that result in frequent fatal industrial accidents are a good thing?

Before you start gloating about Houston's lack of zoning too much, let's remember which taxpayers ultimately pay for the FEMA cleanups, disaster relief, low interest loans and grants to rebuild, etc.

Its those of us in states putting warning labels on coffee cups ( even though its not legislated anywhere that I can find ) and if you are speaking about the high speed train planned for California, you'd have to know how many single occupant cars drive from LA north to the rest of the state to imagine how much efficiency and lesser pollution it will generate. Anybody living in a red state that receives more in federal funds and aid than they contribute to the Treasury needs to just close your mouth, learn how to say thank you to the rest of us and work on cleaning up your own issues and fiscal responsibility.

When your state climbs from the 7th largest economy on earth to 5th in less than four years, we'll talk about comparing economies. Or when less than 60% of your population lacks adequate healthcare.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Illegal? I think that's a stretch. Must be your state cause I don't think that argument flys down here. Only thing I'm aware of that you have to have the same policy for all employees is health and 401k benefits

For cripes sake, where do you come up with your answers ???...... don't answer that !!!

There is no state, city, county, borough or township in this country where you can have rules and policies for one person and change them for another. You can't have rules for one group and not the rest. That is discrimination, plus a few other things. If you are caught playing favorite, you will be dealt with.... even down in Texas. The only possibility is if someone is handicapped and needs to alter the rules, but I hardly think a cell phone will work in that case.

Anyway, I still don't see why if someone has an emergency, their spouse, kids or whomever are not included on the company telephone number and put it on speed-dial, if necessary. That message will be carried through immediately. It's worked in the past quite flawlessly, why not anymore ??​

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
For cripes sake, where do you come up with your answers ???...... don't answer that !!!

There is no state, city, county, borough or township in this country where you can have rules and policies for one person and change them for another. You can't have rules for one group and not the rest. That is discrimination, plus a few other things. If you are caught playing favorite, you will be dealt with.... even down in Texas. The only possibility is if someone is handicapped and needs to alter the rules, but I hardly think a cell phone will work in that case.

Anyway, I still don't see why if someone has an emergency, their spouse, kids or whomever are not included on the company telephone number and put it on speed-dial, if necessary. That message will be carried through immediately. It's worked in the past quite flawlessly, why not anymore ??​

Show me a law that says you have to treat everyone equally.

Now, there are laws against discrimination upon protected classes, and laws regarding health benefits and retirement benefits... but I'm sure your not referring to them are ya??

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Now, there are laws against discrimination upon protected classes, and laws regarding health benefits and retirement benefits... but I'm sure your not referring to them are ya??

Go find it yourself. That thinking is pathetic...... even you should know that. Do you get out much ??

Andy D

Ignoring the tangent....while there are exceptions, I find that typically, when you treat adults as adults, they
tend to act more responsibly as rise to the task. I think it's foolish to expect employees to "own" and resolve your problems,
when you treat them as children. So, as long as they're resolving and fulfilling their tasks, who cares what
they are doing in their down time... but you can have them do jumping jacks when they're not busy, if you like.

• Agree
Reactions: 2B

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

Go find it yourself. That thinking is pathetic...... even you should know that. Do you get out much ??

Maybe back up your statements with real facts?

TimToad

Ignoring the tangent....while there are exceptions, I find that typically, when you treat adults as adults, they
tend to act more responsibly as rise to the task. I think it's foolish to expect employees to "own" and resolve your problems,
when you treat them as children. So, as long as they're resolving and fulfilling their tasks, who cares what
they are doing in their down time... but you can have them do jumping jacks when they're not busy, if you like.

I could use a whole page to list all the "adult treatment" we bestow on employees only to have most of them use every opportunity to slack, try to get away with something, pad their time cards, think we're gullible fools for bestowing so much trust in them, treat us with disdain for daring to question ANYTHING about their routine or work, etc. The only way we can take a vacation is to close the shop because we'll come back and barely anything will have been accomplished but a full time card will be presented.

We're talking about several employees in a row who all interviewed great, and usually made it past the trial period.

A great client of ours is an amazing outdoor concert venue who gives us tickets for any show we express interest in, which we share multiple times per year with employees. The average ticket to a concert there is over $75.00 each. We do work for some amazing wineries who will tip us with nice wine, which we always share. For a good individual effort we pay cash bonuses. We buy either lunch or breakfast for everybody a couple of times per WEEK.

Our most recent departure just got worse and more self-serving as the months went by. She runs a sideline apparel printing business and we have referred our clients to her, so we didn't care if she had boxes of shirts drop shipped here, the occasional customer pickup here, etc. Little by little, more and more time was spent dealing with her customers on her cellphone, dropping what WE were all doing to go talk to customers who had the nerve to think it was ok to come here during business hours, etc. "Oh, it was on my break" Then there was the creative time card padding to the point where it was several hours per week for months on end. We installed an online time clock and suddenly the actual hours worked dropped by several hours per week. What really chapped my hide was at 4:55 of her last day, she inquired about her unused vacation time. That was right after we wished her well and assured her that the $175.00 worth of concerts tickets we had promised her would still be forthcoming. So commit time theft for a few straight months, mail it in the rest of the time every day, leave people in a lurch but then worry about a day and a half of unpaid vacation time while being handed concert tickets.

Yup, we employers are definitely not treating people like adults enough.

Hell, we have a new person right now in her first week and she is already abusing the texting/cell phone guidelines and judging from the caliber of design work and lack of overall computer skills I'm seeing had to have padded her resume and portfolio with other people's work. She has 8.5 hours to make a miraculous transformation into the person on her resume, or its time for finalist #2.

equippaint

I could use a whole page to list all the "adult treatment" we bestow on employees only to have most of them use every opportunity to slack, try to get away with something, pad their time cards, think we're gullible fools for bestowing so much trust in them, treat us with disdain for daring to question ANYTHING about their routine or work, etc.

Lol padded time cards.. At the end of every other day as the riffraff rolls in at 4:55 > Hey man wtf are you doing? You off the clock? Oh crap yeah I forgot... goes and punches out....

Megagrafix

President
How does everyone handle employees on their cell phones? Job market is tight so its a bit hard to implement any hard and fast rules but Im tired of walking out into the shop and seeing people constantly screwing with their phones. Either texting, on facebook or always messing with the radio and headphones.
It's a safety issue here and a big productivity killer.
I prefer to focus on how productive and how good our employees work is. I treat everyone as an adult and let them supervise themselves. If someone isn’t pulling their weight or is troublesome the other employees will ask me to move them out.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Tell ya what dodge.......... you work for any respectable company of any size or any industry and spout off with your theories, ideas of laws or rules and your inept capabilities and see how long the owner's rules aren't the law(s). It's no wonder you work for yourself........ and by yourself. The mere thought probably sends shivers through the west when your name comes up. In a good kinda way, though.............:doh:

equippaint

Tell ya what dodge.......... you work for any respectable company of any size or any industry and spout off with your theories, ideas of laws or rules and your inept capabilities and see how long the owner's rules aren't the law(s). It's no wonder you work for yourself........ and by yourself. The mere thought probably sends shivers through the west when your name comes up. In a good kinda way, though.............:doh:
Did you just get out of bed? Its a bit late but that is a perk you get working for yourself, and not having to follow your own rules too