• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Encad 750

airpix

I recently purchased a Novajet 750 as part of liquidation and can't get past the initialization screen. The original msg was a paper sensor failure which I had replaced by a service rep. He then told me the carriage was bad so I replaced that and I am now getting a carriage axis faliure msg which the troubleshooting guide on Kodak's site led me to replace the trailing edge cable, no help.
If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate hearing from you.
Thanks

Checkers

Welcome Airpix.
I'm thinking it's probably the bushings on the carriage, because that was my most sommon error on the 700. But, they should have been replaced when you replaced the carriage.
The other thing you may want to to check, when the power is off, is whether the carriage releases easily from the docking station(?) - the area where it sits when it's idle.
Beyond that, make sure the big silver bar that supports that carriage is clean and free from dirt, inks or oils, and make sure that nothing else is holding back the carriage.

Checkers

airpix

Thanks Brian,
I've tried all that, the replacement carriage was a refurbished one but I made sure the bushings were clean. The carriage moves freely and I got the impression from kodak that you should only get this msg in mid- print.
Since I get the message at start up, the web site doesn't offer much help
except to call a service center.
Thanks
Bill

Checkers

Ya, I would normally get the message when printing, or during the initialization, when the carriage got jammed on media and it couldn't move.
Another thing you may need to look at is the encoder strip. I'm not sure where it's located on your printer, but on the 700 is was right behind the silver bar and fairly well protected. It also runs the full lenght of the print area.
Its job is to tell the printer where the carriage is on the machine and when to fire the cartridges. Perhaps that may need a good cleaning.
One last thought before I suggest what's in the next paragraph, try turning off the machine and moving the carriage out to the middle of the print area and leave it there, then power up the machine. During the initialization, the carriage should try to move back to the docking station. If it doesn't there may be something out of whack and the drive train (belts, pulleys or something else) is stuck.
I don't know what a service contract is going for these days, but it may be worth the $2k+ to have them come out and fix it up right.

Checkers

Techman

I got the impression from kodak that you should only get this msg in mid- print.

Nope this message will appear whenever it feels the carraige is dragging. It will also come up even if the carraige seems to move freely. But i agree that is is likely a bushing problem even with a refurbed unit.
Did you oil it? No oil...