• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Encoder Strip what does it do

D&D Graphx

D&D Graphx Modesto, CA
I just replaced my head on my sp300v. I am still having a problem with it spraying a funny water look in the white next to the black. It is also filling up the sponge by the wipers fast. This has never happened before. It will work find for a bit.

I printed one full side of a motorhome wrap with only a litte trouble that I could clean. then I try and print the front and then it started again.

The only thing I havent replaced is the encoder strip and looks like it has wrinkles on it like something hit it. I flipped it but still the same but has wrinkles. So what does the encoder strip do. Please help many more jobs to do.

Techman

encoder strip tells the servo drive where the head is. It measure out steps for the resolution of the printer.

Akashoto

It doesn't take much for the encoder strip to effect your print quality. The strip is made up of very fine graduations that the head reads as it passes to and fro. Every now and again my SC540 gets a build up of a black dust on the encoder strip that affects its readability and thus starts giving a blurry edge to the prints. If the roland service guy isn't due for another couple of months, I just wipe it down carefully and the quality improves greatly. I'm guessing a wrinkle would really mess things up. Roland tech reckons they are an expensive bit of kit to replace and doesn't recommend touching it too often. You might need a technician to assess your strip and go from there. Hope this sheds some light on things!

D&D Graphx

D&D Graphx Modesto, CA
Thanks all for the help. I think that could be the only thing left. I will check where I got my heads from to get one. Does anyone have a place to buy one on this site. ??

Papajo

The linear encoder strip allows for precisely positioning the head carriage during printing only. For all other movements (cleaning, setup, cutting), the scan motor encoder is used for positioning the carriages.

Clean it only when needed with a soft dry cloth.