• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

End of year savings on Flexi Finishing Tools

Steph_Stamm

SAi introduced the new Flexi Finishing Tools last month, and is now offering a promo on this popular option! Watch this video to see how you can finish banners faster:

[video=youtube;c9Wu8F3eaM0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Wu8F3eaM0 [/video]

Promo details:
1. Upgrade to FlexiSIGN-PRO 11 and get the Finishing Tools for free (Details: http://bit.ly/1yEZmJ3)
2. Already have v11? Finishing Tools are half price for $195 (Details: http://bit.ly/1CCI5oP)

Last edited by a moderator:

Drip Dry

So, it's half off. That makes it 400.00 worth.

What do I get for a 400.00 value. Is it just printing grommet and fold lines ?

SignosaurusRex

Steph.... It seems to me that you folks could add some tools of value that users would love to see, rather than this....?
How about starting with better and up-to-date tools for working with fonts?

Attachments

• really.jpg
    really.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 73

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Steph.... It seems to me that you folks could add some tools of value that users would love to see, rather than this....?

So I take it you were not impressed with the money saving option to not print the centers of the grommet marks?

We do a lot of repetitive work each month and have templates set up for these.
I think if we were doing more one-offs this could save some time.

wayne k
guam usa

SignosaurusRex

So I take it you were not impressed with the money saving option to not print the centers of the grommet marks?

We do a lot of repetitive work each month and have templates set up for these.
I think if we were doing more one-offs this could save some time.

wayne k
guam usa

Your point is noted.
My point is that they could certainly add tools that are more needed and/or widely used. I'm all about having tools that work and make/save money in the long term. Just because it is "On Sale" (or offered at any price) doesn't mean it's worth purchasing. With that said...every shop is different.

Steph_Stamm

The Finishing tool was a widely requested option and we've experienced a lot of interest since it's release a few weeks ago. Out of curiosity, what option would you prefer to see in a promo?

SignosaurusRex

The Finishing tool was a widely requested option and we've experienced a lot of interest since it's release a few weeks ago. Out of curiosity, what option would you prefer to see in a promo?

How about Flexi getting up to par and in-step with "Auto Ligatures"..."Character Map"... "Insert Character/Glyph" ??? Fully OT compatible. This is one that would increase Flexi's market share in the Sign Industry! :omg:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.

This waste of code is something that might impress someone who has little to no experience. Anyone who has set more than a handful of grommets more than likely has some flavor of jig set up on their grommet press that holds the hemmed material as a constant distance from the edge and only requires a tiny tick mark on the edge, easily done with a drywall ruler and a Stabilo.

The notion of saving ink by not printing where the grommet is supposed to go wins the most ridiculous rationalization heard this year. And it's December already.

Fold marks are orders of magnitude handier if they're on the back of the material where you can actually see them, not the front. Enter that same drywall ruler which is exactly 2" wide. Turn the banner over, lay the ruler on the edge and mark the fold line.

Bleed? whats wrong with simply making the image 1/2" over on edges that require a bleed? Or do the most of your clientele freeze up when they're confronted with fractions of the complexity of 1/2?

You have to pay me to use these dubious tools. You're hyping a solution in search of a non-existent problem.

If you want to actually improve your ridiculously over-priced and mediocre software start with implementing a distortion tool like Corel's envelope tool. Then follow that with a clone of their interactive transparency tool. For a start.

Techman

Out of curiosity, what option would you prefer to see in a promo?

An open source of code so that I could write my own gadgets, plugins, goodies compatible with the software.

As it appears there is no way for a user to build gadgets or macros (or whatever name one wishes to use ) to make usage of an expensive software better for an individual user's needs.

Why is it that users had to wait years for a finishing tool? If a user had access to some type of open code then there would very likely be dozens upon dozens of tools in existence.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We do. 2 of those are not RIP's, just design software. Flexi has the simplest print/cut workflow (no need to add cut lines in your design software, no other plug-ins, or other programs needed). That being said, we do not use Flexi as a "design" program for 95% of things. Only basic text only quickie jobs. I have found and over the past 10+ years I have looked at and/or tried demo's of just about every RIP. They also still offer a full purchase option (I'd be quite unhappy if they go to a subscription only). We do no save our Illustrator or Photoshop shop files as anything special, native Illustrator ai and psd file and Flexi opens them just fine. Sure there are certain highly complex Illustrator files with certain transparency effects that can explode when opened (but Illustrator warns when saving files with certain effects that they might not render correctly in almost any other application) which sometimes have to be dealt with. They do not charge to add another printer, full profiling is built in (no some extra cost add on), true APPE (Adobe PDF Print Engine - the actual RIP). Not in any way saying I've been 100% thrilled with Flexi over the years. Just saying in my own experience I've found it much more useable (not much wanting to run a browser based RIP) in the long run and if properly configured it works great for us. This new finishing tool is the first feature I have run into from Flexi that will have an extra cost to us. And it is an extra cost to us simply because we are one of those who choose to pay thousands of dollars at once to have a full perpetual license. These new finishing tools are completely free to those who use the subscription route. I find that pretty disappointing and almost insulting, especially considering if your Flexi install is current, those tools are there, just if you are a perpetual license user they have you locked out of them. A couple of clicks on a keyboard to update your license is all it takes for them to be unlocked so you can access them.

As far as this new finishing plugin. I do like it but with one caveat that I feel strongly about. Sure we can easily enough add grommet marks in Illustrator or just hand mark them on the finished banner. This does very much simplify adding grommet marks along with a bleed or fold line very very rapidly and with spot on accurate placement. However, this more of a design end tool in my opinion and should be a tab on the design ends "rip and print" dialogs, not on the Production Manager end. In our example we have a dedicated machine that strictly runs Production Manager and the design computers connect to that over the network to send jobs to the machines. 99% of the time the person sending the job has already loaded the particular machine with the media, and then sends the job from designer as "send now". The only time one of us actually interacts with Production Manager is to send a cut job from a print/cut that had to sit to outgas or be laminated before cutting. Also the monitor on the RIP computer is small and basic (does not need anything big), while on the design computers - those all have big 27" screens and one can expand the "rip and print" screen to get a much closer view of what they are doing in a toll like the finishing add on.

Steph_Stamm

However, this more of a design end tool in my opinion and should be a tab on the design ends "rip and print" dialogs, not on the Production Manager end.
Hey SightLine - we've heard this feedback from you previously, as well as others, and it's something we're exploring for future versions. The thinking behind putting it in Production Manager is to help automate workflow, so that when a job is dropped into a hot folder, the finishing tool settings can automatically be applied (if they are set up that way).

Last edited: