• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Energizer = Blah

Dice

So I bought some of those AA Lithium Batteries to use in my wireless mouse and after about 2 months of use I was surprised to see that my battery light was blinking. 2 Months was the life of my normal batteries and these Lithium batteries were about 4x the cost. I guess i'm a marketing Sucker.

After doing a bit of research

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/rechargeable-batteries-cell,review-1525-6.html

They seem to recommend these Sanyo Rechargeable eneLoops.

I also heard that they wrap AA's in a larger Cell and Call it D's. Never buying Energizer again.

Dice

I'm starting to think the entire world is shady now. I think Sign Makers (Most of them) are the last honest people on the planet.

CES020

I don't know if it's true or not, but I went into CVS to buy some batteries in a pinch. I plopped up some duracells on the counter and the guy politely asked me if he could offer me some advice. I told him sure, go ahead. He then tells me that he was a manager for a Radio Shack for about 15 years and that all batteries on the market are made by about 2 or 3 companies. He then pointed out a less expensive brand and said they were made in the same plant the ones I had selected were made.

Not sure if there's any truth to it, but he seemed educated about it enough for me to believe.

signage

One caution here - eneLoops will undervolt a lot of electronic devices (like cameras) - They only produce 1.38-1.41 volts vs the normal 1.5 volts.

This should not cause any issue being that it is within the 10% range used in the design of supplied voltages required by devices!

Slamdunkpro

This should not cause any issue being that it is within the 10% range used in the design of supplied voltages required by devices!

Maybe, maybe not. there are a number of reviews where items like cameras would not turn on when these batteries (charged or course) were installed.

Just say'in

Tim Aucoin

eneLoops are excellent batteries. I collect high end LED flashlights that require dependable, quality batteries, and the eneLoops have never let me down!

One funny thing to keep in mind though... when you buy the eneLoop package (from Costco) and buy the additional cell package, for the C & D cells, you get empty "cases" that you slip the AA cells into! Energizer isn't the only ones that do this, but they are obviously one of the ones who choose to hide it from us.

Techman

I have always felt that energizers did not last... I just never really spent any time trying to prove it.. Now I see others say the same thing.

On another note.

I wonder where that came from. 10% is not even within the statistically significant range.

Ohm's law cannot be defeated.

E=I/R

Voltage = Amps/resistance

lower voltage means higher amperage. That means the battery will be forced to produce more amps at a faster rate. That means the battery will die very fast.

Under voltage will have an effect. If it will start the device will even start then at the very least under voltage it will drain the battery at a much higher rate. There is no free lunch in physics.

signage

Techman I come from the engineering field and when circuits are designed they are designed with a minimum of a 10% tolerance!

G-Artist

If some of those battery companies would take 1/2 of their ad budget and put it into R & D they would be better off and we would as well.

Many years ago a consumer testing lab rated RayOVac as a best buy because they lasted as long as the top brands (or nearly so) and cost about 1/2 of the top name brands.

As to a "few" battery companies....I liken that to paint or beer.

There are really only a handful of companies that do make many "brand name" products.

Those factories will run a line or two making other "brands" on a contract basis. Don't be fooled in thinking you are getting the equivalent of a top name brand because the top name brand is the manufacturer. Most of the products are made to the supplied specs. of the labeled brand. The ingredients may be the same but not the composition. At the same time, what you get (for less) may be far superior.

There are only a handful of paint manufacturers left. They may not only have their own mass-market line but they may make paint for as many as 17 other mass-market companies as well. But each paint is made in accordance to a strict formula that is supplied to them.

There are two beer companies (maybe more?) that no longer own breweries. They contact with existing brewers to make and ship their product on a contract basis.

Then you have folks like Sears. Their paint line may be made by Valspar one year and Benjamin Moore the next. Ditto for their gun line. Mossberg may make their shotguns one year and Winchester the next. Same thing for their appliance line. Sears supplies the specs. and the contract company builds them.