• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

entire cartridges siphoned empty over night

artbot

@jrdigital
i mentioned before that i make my proprietary inks/clears/whites, some with different drying properties, viscosities, etc. ...different channels being switched out... not printing on vinyl metal and wood veneer only.

and i figured it out. it was when i simply switched the lines to open, the cap soak became a siphon. if i pull the carriage over before or after the lines are opened it breaks the fluid tension thus killing the flow.

InkjetAuction

I think that you are experiencing 'wicking'. This was a pretty common problem on the Roland original SP-series when they were using the peristaltic-type pumps a few years ago.

When Roland recalled the old-style pump, the retrofit to the newer 'Mimaki-style' pump included a small change to the routing of the captop and pump waste lines.

Essentially the captop lines were looped up to nearly the height of the captop before routing to the the suction nipple of the pump. The waste line (from the pump nipple to the waste bottle) was also looped up to the height of the captop before routing down to the waste bottle. (Two small zip-ties and zip-tie mounts are used to secure the lines.)

I did many of these retrofits in the field for Roland, and haven't heard of wicking happening in the original SP-series after that time.

...for what it's worth...

~E

tbaker

I've had this happen on several jv3-160s models. As near as we can tell it's due to a cap calibration issue. If the caps are too high, then it can cause a wicking effect if your pumps are at all weak. One sure way to get rid of that problem is to pull the carts out until the needle isn't inside it.

robracer

Change to a new pump & the issue will dissapear. the pump forms a lock which stops the capping station from sucking ink through the heads. we run a bulk system & its scary whan you loose 1 ltr overnight :-0

Mosh

I just REAL drunk the other night and broke into this shop and drained the ink out of this dorks machine....is there a way I can use it in my Rolands???

(REAL drunk, unlike just drunk like a normal night)