• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Entry level digital cutter/router?

nate

Make sure you consider the whole package, not just the price. We had a Multicam Digital Express. We bought it because of the price. However, the software that runs it is definitely lacking, and the tool setup takes a lot of time. But you get what you pay for. We upgraded to a Zund-- the software that runs it alone is worth the price. Anyone can run it with just a couple of moments of instruction. It really is a night and day difference. So as I say, make sure you check the whole package and see how it works, how you change tools, how you calibrate, everything prior to purchasing.

nate

This is accurate, but they do have drag knife, creasing tools available. A lot of bang for the buck. I came from a smaller shop that had a $250K Zund. The $200K premium for a machine that has a i-cut capabilities seems a waste to me, especially for a smaller shop. Just my $0.02.
Zunds don't run i-Cut. Esko owns that and has it reserved for their Kongsbergs now. They have their own software. If you're looking to get in to a machine, check everything, including the software and ease of tool setup prior to purchasing.

FatCat

Looks like we are going to go the Summa route... It's just the best for the price. The operational efficiency for us just makes up the difference.

I hope we can figure our how to 3d route on it

The more I keep digging into this I believe this is the way we will likely go as well. Seems the router companies make more of a router - which is great if that is the focus of your business, but we do so much print and vinyl work it just seems to make better sense to go with something that at the moment, is the focus of our business and would increase our production and efficiency. Now I just have to worry about the finance part and make the numbers work, lol.

Christian @ 2CT Media

The more I keep digging into this I believe this is the way we will likely go as well. Seems the router companies make more of a router - which is great if that is the focus of your business, but we do so much print and vinyl work it just seems to make better sense to go with something that at the moment, is the focus of our business and would increase our production and efficiency. Now I just have to worry about the finance part and make the numbers work, lol.

That 100% is how we are looking at it. We can load or wrap rolls and have the machine process it rather than by hand. We print whole rolls of banner or poster and have the machine process it. When we have mounted prints the machine can process that. Yes it's not a true router but it can rout many things well. The Summa software looks to be super simple like their other software we already run.

Only limitation to us is the lack of built in 3D routing without trickery and the panel cutting thickness being so small.

FatCat

That 100% is how we are looking at it. We can load or wrap rolls and have the machine process it rather than by hand. We print whole rolls of banner or poster and have the machine process it. When we have mounted prints the machine can process that. Yes it's not a true router but it can rout many things well. The Summa software looks to be super simple like their other software we already run.

Only limitation to us is the lack of built in 3D routing without trickery and the panel cutting thickness being so small.

Totally agree 100% - the other drawback on these machines is the 1" clearance limit. Not going to shove 2" HDU under there... but I guess we can always keep sending that work out and if/when the need arises invest in that type of machine later. Please keep in touch if you decide to pull the trigger soon. We are honestly going to do this towards the end of the year in hopes of getting a better deal and make sure we are going to see the same type of growth again this year to justify the purchase.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Will do. We got a show price quote and are in progress with their leasing company to verify we qualify. We already Sat with our CPA how to cut costs in our "Loose" areas.

Got an initial quote for 60mo $1500/mo $0 down and 90days no payments interest free.

We have outsourced $150,000+ a year in the last 4 years... I've finally had it with relying on others to get our jobs done. We have a great relationship with our vendors but sometimes our timelines don't match up and it puts a strain on us.