• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

epic battle versacamm vs mimaki cjv3

ironchef

I want comments from people that own or have owned either of the two, try to keep it unbiased. Personally im leaning towards mimaki. We still run a mimaki cg130fx plotter for over ten years now. So lets keep it neutral and give me the facts

ironchef

Well sp, and vp.... mimaki you can run white or silver config. On cjv3 or double cmyk, theres 8 channels. First point goes to mimaki just for that

Mosh

Roland printers are also a cutter...I have been using Roland stuff for 25 years, in fact I
have a pnc1100 plotter still running in my shop I got back in 1992 or so.
The stuff lasts!

ironchef

Ok, one point to roland lol.... there both good brands, both being japanese made. Mimaki-1 / roland -1

tomence

There is a big difference between the Roland models. The SP has two DX4 printheads and it's very slow. Up one model is the VP which has four DX4 printheads and it's faster than the SP but they don't make this model any more, instead they have the new VS model which uses only one printhead and i think it should be faster than the previous two models. Now if you are comparing apples to apples than you should be comparing the Mimaki CJV against Roland VS.

ironchef

Yes, i know the cjv3 is a print and cut, and the vs doesnt cut. The current model for the sp , from what ive heard, are still using dx4 printheads.... i want the single dx5, and so far, the mimaki cjv3 is the only model that uses the dx5 at that price, and cuts! And its cheaper then the sp and vp models, whaattt! Is their a reason for this, or is mimaki a clear winner?

CanuckSigns

we've had 2 roland SP models over the last 6 years, a 30 inch and now a 54, both have been rock solid machines. We don't print a ton, average about 10 hours a week, but when we do have a job that requires it to be running non stop for a week or 2, it's never given us any problems.

it's slow, but it's also a lower end printer, if we were printing more constantly, I may upgrade to a faster model, or I would look at outsourcing.

ironchef

Oh, then i got a different price, i also called grimco, from fl, after hours, and got redirected to a california office, nvm the price, i will investigate further come monday.

Brad Knight

Well, I'm fighting this same battle in my head (I'm going to Indy next week to look at everything up close) - BUT - from what I can tell, they're both really close - except for the RIP software & media profiles, Roland wins hands down (from what I gather)

Roland also wins with the CMYKKYMC, OR CCMMYKLcLm, OR CMYKLcLm & Double White, OR CMYK+ White +Silver (Though, I've also heard more bad than good on the silver???)

I don't know that the mimaki is quite that flexible in setups.

... then I keep reminding myself that it would be BEST to just get seperate machines and a good laminator and I'd be into the same amount of money overall and have three machines I could keep busy...

... but even though I've heard bad things about that silver, it shurrrrr is pretty!

Mosh

If you are going to a show bring CASH!!! You will get at lease 25% off just ask to buy the floor model they are showing and save a ton!!! BTW have a vehicle there to take it with you! I got my first Gerber Sprint3 at a show in St. Louis back 25 years ago for WAy less than book value. I took the floor demo they were showing. I had to wait til the show was done and it took an extra day but well worth the few thousand I saved.

Wiggum PI

unless roland have significantly beefed up their feed and take up systems in the VS series, I would probably lean to mimaki.