• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson launches first latex: SC-R5000

Christian @ 2CT Media

The flatbed does not have white ink or greyscale heads, not sure who that will be for...Im not sure why a new printhead would attract anyone. Epson has the best image quality of any printer in its class right now. The ink smells because 4 years ago they decide to try to follow HP with quicker off gassing times. Now you can laminate in the same day with the GS3 inks. Yes they smell because of that. Their inks are as scratch resistant as Roland, Mutoh and Mimaki. HP needed to address scratching with their gen 1 latex printers...again...EPSON should just be EPSON and stop trying to be HP. Your market has always been image quality...stay there.
The flatbed will flop. Too little too late. rant over
Umm the flatbed does have White: "The SureColor SC-V7000 works with an Epson Micro-Piezo print head and newly developed set of 10 inks including grey, red, white and additionally a clear ink."

Secondly, why do you say they won't have greyscale heads?
Depending on which micro-piezo heads are in this, Epson makes heads with variable drop sizes from 2.5pl to 40pl. With that capability, the expanded gamut is not really even needed as you can get brilliant solid colors and smooth gradients even if it was a fixed 2.5pl which is smaller than most heads on the market currently.

billythecat

I have seen it.
Colour gamut is much bigger than HP. Ink adhesion on SAV is at least as good as HP.......
An earlier post said two screens but there is only 1. The smaller area is the screen, the larger area is where the sticker with the model number goes.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
An earlier post said two screens but there is only 1. The smaller area is the screen, the larger area is where the sticker with the model number goes.
I was speculating if there was two any why would that be so. That huge ass sticker makes it look like an HP and I really don't understand why the heck that has to be there. Like you wouldn't know which model you have...

What did they say for the print speed?

tudouqiezi

I have seen it.
Colour gamut is much bigger than HP. Ink adhesion on SAV is at least as good as HP.......
In terms of red, is he outstanding red or orange red

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Seems kinda slow, I guess we will see. Really depends if Productions is actually production quality or not.
Also that one massive printhead. I wonder how expensive it is, even if you can replace it yourself in two minutes.
Another fascinating thing is the position of Optimizer which is right in the middle channels of the printhead. HP would never ever want Optimizer to mix with other colours but Epson doesn't seem to be too worried. So it probably isn't similar solution as HP (ink and optimizer has a opposite electric charge).

scr.png

scr2.png

scr3.png

Last edited:

TomK

That thing weighs 1000 lbs too, jesus! Also has anyone seen ink pricing yet, I've seen the $25k msrp price of the machine, but didn't see the print head or ink pricing yet.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I also think it's hilarious that all these companies were chastising HP a few years ago for going to 240v, now they are all starting to follow suit.

Last edited:

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I love our Epson S40. I am curious how this machine plays out. If it is basically the same but has instant dry ink, I am sold. We have a pair of Latex 360's, the lack of color consistency makes me nervous. Our S40 has never wandered.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I love our Epson S40. I am curious how this machine plays out. If it is basically the same but has instant dry ink, I am sold. We have a pair of Latex 360's, the lack of color consistency makes me nervous. Our S40 has never wandered.
Seems like that's what it is, just almost $10k more expensive and might even be a bit slower than S40.