• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson S80600

Rev Designs

Alrighty who has an Epson S80600 and what are your thoughts, issues, loves, complaints, etc? We have heard a lot of negative things about the last SureColor printers, but have also been told most of those have been resolved. Looking for some real world users and their thoughts and opinions on these before we commit! We saw the printer at SGIA last week and loved the opacity of the white, smoothness of the prints, and are especially interested in how well it prints oranges (IE Pantone 021, 1505, etc.)

jfiscus

Rap Master
We have two of the previous generation printers (S70670 / S70675) and LOVE them. Great colors/print quality and great white also. They just run run run. Super fast, and fast drying inks. The new series inks are 3M MCS compatible inks, so that is a bonus if you're a 3M shop.

Molenbeek

The new line is much better then the old. The struggles were fixed and the new series just works. As you mentioned, beautiful white and colors. can't beat it for the price this month either!

let me know how I can help-

Matt Molenbeek
Advantage Sign & Graphic Solutions
877-237-4464 *1590
mattm@advantagesgs.com

31legen

Curious as well

I received a pantone chart from grimco that was printed on a new s80. Im trying to schedule a demo so i can see how user friendly it is. I was really impressed with its gamut of color. The best oranges ive seen.

ChrisN

We just bought two of them - one for each of our locations. They were replacing a Mutoh VJ-1614 and VJ-1624. We really like them - they're a lot faster and have a much higher gamut compared two our old printers. You can get really nice reds out of them. We run a lot of decals at 4 pass, which is the highest print speed. Normally, you can hardly tell the difference between 4, 6, & 8 pass except for the gamut difference. Our normal production is at 6 pass.

We don't use the white much, but I have noticed that it is not as opaque as our UV printer's white.

We did have one problem with one of them, though - yellow ink dripped out of the back of the printer over night! Turns out, there was a junction that all the ink lines go through, and the two parts weren't screwed together properly. I'm not sure why only yellow leaked, and I'm also not sure why it stopped leaking by the time we got in the next morning, but that's what the tech told us. It was down for 2-3 days while the technician replaced parts and cleaned up the mess.

paulica

Thank you everyone who has responded! Anyone else with any input for the new Epson?

yes, talk to the dealer or reseller, and tell them to be honest on strength and weakness. Epson Surecolors are great machines but they have to fit YOUR REAL NEEDS.

Example :

If you have customers with environmental requirements concerning mild solvent, Epson will give you most of the certifications needed to convince that customer. Apparently the ink is certified for such applications. A good example would be the "healthcare industry" . Usually these jobs should be better paid and give you higher margins.

In my opinion for 95% of the applications you are more or less on the same page as a Roland or Mutoh. All will give you above average results when using decent media and optimal calibration. By the way, calibration for the SURECOLOR can be a bit of a mistery, given that most eco solvent applications are traditionally ran on other brands. Therefore the media companies are more focused on delivering good results for other brands, but of course with more installations this will change or maybe has already changed.

What i surely won't recommend is for the SURECOLOR to be used on low margin applications ( traditional ones ). It will do them well, but we found it to be too much hassle for those and the premium is just not worth it. A JV33 will cover those just as well, and given it's age it will give you significant cost reductions.

31legen

s80600

What i surely won't recommend is for the SURECOLOR to be used on low margin applications ( traditional ones ). It will do them well, but we found it to be too much hassle for those and the premium is just not worth it. A JV33 will cover those just as well, and given it's age it will give you significant cost reductions.

A jv33 will never come close to the color gamut that an 80600 can achieve. With the 80600 having a designated orange and designated red ink cartridge the abilities of this machine are amazing.

Rev Designs

We will definitely be utilizing its specialty capabilities and the application of higher orange color gamut. As for the ONYX rip that is provided, are most upgrading to say ONYX postershop? What is everyone's opinion on this? We will be utilizing Color Profiling for our medias and want a streamline workflow.

jfiscus

Rap Master
yes, talk to the dealer or reseller, and tell them to be honest on strength and weakness. Epson Surecolors are great machines but they have to fit YOUR REAL NEEDS.
Never, ever, ever trust a dealer to be honest about the products they are selling. I believe that is why they posted here asking "real world users" their honest opinions.
We just bought an HP latex based on a dealer's recommendation... It is now back up for sale because it didn't do what they promised.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We will definitely be utilizing its specialty capabilities and the application of higher orange color gamut. As for the ONYX rip that is provided, are most upgrading to say ONYX postershop? What is everyone's opinion on this? We will be utilizing Color Profiling for our medias and want a streamline workflow.
We have two Epson's here and one runs on Onyx Production House and the other runs on Onyx PosterShop. They print the same, the only difference I've ever seen is that one (postershop?) only lets you install two printers while the other I believe is unlimited.

Correct Color

We have two Epson's here and one runs on Onyx Production House and the other runs on Onyx PosterShop. They print the same, the only difference I've ever seen is that one (postershop?) only lets you install two printers while the other I believe is unlimited.

Unlimited would be nice...

But it's not to be.

PosterShop is two printer permissions and one RIP.

ProductionHouse is four printer permissions and two RIP's.

The RIP engine in both of them is the same.

Correct Color

Thrive uses the Adobe PDF Print Engine, and all other Onyx products use the Jaws RIP. Many will tell you that's a huge feature...

But I'm not one of them. Regardless of RIP manufacturer, I've always considered APPE to be more hype than substance. And I'm willing to have my mind changed on that, it's just that no one has ever done it.

Other than that, Thrive is also capable of running on multiple computers with one key.

Thrive is priced according to permissions that are listed in order of RIPs/Printers/Job Editors. So -- for example -- Thrive 642 would be 6 RIPs, 4 Printers, 2 Job Editors.

paulica

A jv33 will never come close to the color gamut that an 80600 can achieve. With the 80600 having a designated orange and designated red ink cartridge the abilities of this machine are amazing.

i did not say that. I said it all depends what applications you are running. I'm sorry, but in the solvent market, margins always beat quality. Because applications are different than in the aqueos market. Nonetheless, if you manage to get access to "special projects" of course the 80600 will make all the difference.

However though, it seems that most service providers still use the surecolors for basic applications. Not because this is their approach, rather the "special projects" are not that many.

altereddezignz

I would also like to talk to someone that is running the s80600. On phone, Here or in a PM. We are looking to buy a new printer and was just informed about the s80600 or the whole s series.

fastmax

have an s70675 that replaced our old roland. its amazing, the orange ink really expands your spectrum. its also super fast even at higher quality. blows our roland out of the water in speed....it does not cut though.

hope this is at all relevant to the 80 series

altereddezignz

have an s70675 that replaced our old roland. its amazing, the orange ink really expands your spectrum. its also super fast even at higher quality. blows our roland out of the water in speed....it does not cut though.

hope this is at all relevant to the 80 series

What are you doing about profiles. Looking on epson site i see no profiles at all for the s80600 or am i over looking it. Should be making some sort of purchase within the next couple days.

usdsoccer

The Epson S-Series printers include over 100 profiles with the included Onyx RIP and have a media server you can download many more profiles from based on media type or manufacturer. The profiles are created by Epson to optimize performance with the S-Series.

If you're looking to buy soon, I'd recommend checking the dealer locator on Epson's website for whoever is closest to you and getting some print samples done on your material.

altereddezignz

What about print speeds? Has anyone timed let's say a long print or a 4x8 vinyl print. Trying to figure real life speed vs advertised speeds.

jfiscus

Rap Master
What about print speeds? Has anyone timed let's say a long print or a 4x8 vinyl print. Trying to figure real life speed vs advertised speeds.
I know that the print speeds are faster on the 80-series than the 70-series (which we have) and a 4-pass print at 4x8 on our 70-series takes about 15 minutes to come off the printer. It takes about 2-2.5 hours to print a whole roll-to-roll job. However, we do print a lot of our jobs on 8-pass still because the 70-series can show a bit of banding on 4-pass and we do a lot of high-end printing. I saw a 80-series running a couple weeks ago and it has a different dot pattern that should really eliminate any banding issues and allow you to always run on 4- or 6-pass modes. Another cool thing is that as soon as the file finishes ripping in Onyx, in just a few seconds the printer is already beginning printing; no long warm-up wait time.

ChrisN

I know we get slight banding in certain solid colors at 4 pass, but you have to be close to tell. We run our most wrap jobs at 6 pass, little decals and stuff at 4 pass, and signage at 4 or 6 pass depending on the file.