• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson SP 10000

ruckusman

Don't give up on the 10000, on one of the dedicated Epson lists, the 7000, 9000, 10000 -> 7600, 9600 & 10600 have a great reputation for reliability and dependability.

So much so most subscribers with experience of all of the generations loathe the later ones and highly recommend the above series of printers.

In fact they only recommend the latest series of printers with extended warranties because of arrays of issues.

I agree with you on the head unit being ridiculously overcomplicated, whilst I was disassembling mine I was extremely happy that it was a one way process...

peace out

JModer

I guess that is good to hear, sort of.

For my use I am hoping it will be adequate, which will only be used for my art, and maybe some Giclee. If when i graduate and actually find work in the industry maybe that spurs something more, and I'll invest in something better, but at this point I am more focused on graduating and getting some experience in something other than transportation, and of course having some fun.

I do enjoy tinkering and learning about this stuff, so I have spent much more money on just having some fun (and education right now I am paying over $600 a credit hour so this is cheap in comparison!)

Actually, the Service Manual made the removal seem much more difficult than it really was. Of course the Service Manual wants the entire head unit replaced, so from there I was on my own, but it was fairly self explanatory. A Mess, and that little spring at the bottom was a major pain, but I did have it out, flushed out and cleaned up and back installed in less than a couple hours.

The good news is I got the head to print fully today. It is still leaking after a number of pages, but I got perfect nozzle checks as well as no more "bad nozzle" errors. So Hopefully the damper thing fixes the over inking.

Even with the over inking at this point I am not impressed with the saturation at all. I know little about this stuff, and haven't tried any "good" paper as of yet, but even with the driver set on the "best" settings, I do not think the printer is putting enough ink on the paper. When/If I get the dripping/leaking problem fixed, I'll have to figure out the best drivers to use. I really can't afford to invest in a RIP right now, so hopefully I can find a driver better than the one Epson/Apple has available as it is just the Gutenprint v 5.2.

John

ruckusman

This may sound ironic, but Gutenprint has sensational dither patterns, I had four black - diluted dye running in a 3000 and the output was brilliant for a, at the time decade old printer.
Smaller droplet sizes of later printers have improved things in light tones with smaller droplet sizes with light inks, but don't discard Gutenprint without some time getting settings right.

One thing, the ink limits/density was a quagmire and the manual was no help whatsoever as it didn't offer any clarificaion of the terms used in the driver.

JModer

Interesting. I admit I have not played with it much at all. I see there are a number of settings now.

I am curious is anyone has any reference material or can point me in the right direction as to the best practices on dialing it in. Please keep in mind I am by no means a professional, and am just learning.

Thanks for the info

John

JModer

Argh--

Got the dampers in today, installed, and now I am back to square one... Nothing prints. Ink through feed system and is coming out the cap station on the head cleaning, on all 6 colors, but isn't putting anything on the paper and keeps coming up with a nozzle check error... Ugh.

John

ruckusman

Last edited:

JModer

Thanks for the group info.

I am too frustrated anymore tonight. I switched the board back to the original with the same results. Ran more head cleans and tried some suction on the waste tubes. Ink is flowing through the heads on the capping station, it is just not printing anything-- As in nothing. Either I fried the boards on all three heads, or I am missing something here...

I have the service manual, it isn't a lot of help... I am not getting any error codes besides the nozzle check error, which that happens when the laser detector doesn't detect spray from one or more of the heads... so it is pretty generic.

Thanks for the help though!

John

JModer

I also have a roll of Epson Proofing paper and 19 ink carts, 7 sealed (one of each color and an extra black, the extra black is a sealed CGS refill, the other sealed ones are OEM epson). The unselaed ones are 6 Epson OEM in various states of fill, and 6 CGS Refills in various states of fill, but all feel pretty heavy.

John.

JModer

Cancel That!

Ruckusman, and everyone else listening to me whine! Thanks for sticking in there with me and all our encouragement! I got it to work today!

:)

John

JModer

Thanks Robert. I did find a damper a couple weeks back and have it installed. I do appreciate you stepping up and offering one thought!

I have gotten it fully operational now, although I am having some minor glitches I am still figuring out. The biggest one is the head carriage likes to "jump" off track. It doesn't happen often, but of course does so at the most in-opportune time. I don't see any sort of adjustment to "Tighten" the roller bearings. Any suggestions?

John

JModer

Well, I got all my bugs worked out and it is printing quite swell now. The sad news is the better half is telling me I need to find something smaller, as it really is too large for our office. It's now up for sale...

Thanks for everyone's advice and help here.

John

JModer

What is this?

This is a photo of a print form the SP10000, not sure how well to comes through, but can you see the slight "banding" for a lack of a better word every 4 inches or so for about an inch. It almost looks like ink separation or "shrinkage". What can be causing this?

Thanks!

John

Attachments

• IMG_0939.JPG
    IMG_0939.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 105
Last edited by a moderator: