• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion Epson Surecolor 40600 vs Roland TrueVis SG

Christian @ 2CT Media

I just hate having to switch machines to cut, really a lot of trouble when the one machine can do it all. Somebody convince me two machines are better than one. I need six printers (print/cut preferably), but on the fence right now. Somebody help!!
What is your market? What are you trying to produce?

Separate units essentially doubles your production and then you can look at much faster machines. Print/Cuts are for small businesses or space-constrained operations.

Bly

You can't cut full bleed eco sol stickers right away anyway so fail to see how print/cut machines are more convenient.
What do you do.. leave the prints in the machine for 24 hours?

Last edited:

jpescobar

The vinyl cutter depends on the size of your jobs. If you cut small stickers I don't recommend you a wide format cutter which will be expensive.
I have the Epson SC-S40600 and a Roland GS-24 which is certainly a desktop vinyl cutter but it cuts on many materials accurately.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Recently switched from a print and cut machine to a printer and a summa. It was never really a huge problem but near the end of the mimaki’s life we got a job for 32 rolls worth of A5 labels that needed print/cut. Bearing in mind this was a CJV30 so it took about 1 work day to print a roll, then a work day to cut a roll (about 10-15 mins/sheet including switching sheets etc).

Getting the printer and cutter has literally halved that production time and then some. With the summa the tracking is excellent so we can actually load up full rolls and trust it to cut accurately - not to mention a lot faster. Barcode system means you can load a roll of various jobs and not have to go back to it too.

Would never go back to a print and cut as our main machine. (We still use the mimaki as a print and cut machine for garment transfers).

We have the Roland Soljet machines and had great results. We can track 30ft of print/cut items with zero problems, maybe we just got a good batch of machines, IDK. I really need some new machines, I just dont see the speed advantage of moving the prints over a plotter. The prints that come off these machines do not get laminated, they are for special projects.

Last edited:

Christian @ 2CT Media

We have the Roland Soljet machines and had great results. We can track 30ft of print/cut items with zero problems, maybe we just got a good batch of machines, IDK. I really need some new machines, I just dont see the speed advantage of moving the prints over a plotter. The prints that come off these machines do not get laminated, they are for special projects.
So you can literally double your production if you had 2 separate machines, then with 2 separate machines you can almost triple your production just by getting a different class of printer.

A Epson SC60600 and a Grapthec or Summa will run circles around your Soljet and be higher quality in both prints and cut accuracy.

Last edited:

Goatshaver

And being accurate is exactly what I want. I do primarily die cut stickers and labels. If I was doing wraps and a little cut stuff I think the all-in-one would be suitable.

I know Epson is, no questions asked, a reliable printer. In my years of offset that's been the standard in the shops I've worked. I've never used a dedicated cutter or seen one in person but I can definitely tell it's most likely my best option.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Even after running a print and cut combo for 6 years or so, I could always see the massive benefits of running a seperate cutter. Why have a printer that spends half it’s time not printing? You could be printing and cutting simultaneously

Goatshaver

Now the Roland guy is trying to get me to get a RF-640 and a Roland cutter but I definitely don't think they will even be close to matching the price I'm getting the Epson and Summa for.

jpescobar

Now the Roland guy is trying to get me to get a RF-640 and a Roland cutter but I definitely don't think they will even be close to matching the price I'm getting the Epson and Summa for.

Same for me. The Roland RF-640 is basic entry level printer compared to Epson or Mimaki beside in addition to be an old model.
People living in the US can get the Epson SC-S40600 at Grimco for just $8,995.
https://www.grimco.com/Catalog/Products/EpsonSureColorS40600Printer

henryz

Everyone will have different opinions different advise, go to a trade show and see for yourself. Depending where you are manufacturers will let you test them out. I'm in CA so it's easy to go to a manufacturer or rep to sample it out.

Goatshaver

Same for me. The Roland RF-640 is basic entry level printer compared to Epson or Mimaki beside in addition to be an old model.
People living in the US can get the Epson SC-S40600 at Grimco for just $8,995.
https://www.grimco.com/Catalog/Products/EpsonSureColorS40600Printer

I mean the roland pakage with the RF 640 and the GR 540 would be about $21k, compared to approx $15k for the Epson and SummaCut D140 and Onyx Thrive. I mean that's a huge difference especially for me as I'm a one man operation just getting going. Roland sales guy said he could probably match that price and I was just laughing in my head. No way he's going to knock of $5-6k off that package.

Goatshaver

I'm still looking into equipment but financing for the Epson seems to be an issue as I'm a new business and, not a homeowner and have some debt. So that's got me leaning back towards the Roland because I got a decent interest rate on that side. I really want to go with the Epson/Summa combo but I will not submit to a 24% interest rate which is absolutely insane.

I've been looking for TrueVis SG2 machine reviews or anything other than the launch news. Does anyone have one looking here have one yet?

Goatshaver

Settled on an Epson S40600 and Summa D140 cutter to pair with it. I didn't find any real user experiences with the SG2 and honestly I'd still have the same bottleneck as I'd only be able to cut or print on the Roland. I love my SP540V but I've put a lot of miles on it in the short time I've had it and I just can't keep up with production with an all-in-one system.

I'm really excited to get these in and running...it'll be a such a relief to not be tied here for ungodly hours printing.

CanuckSigns

Settled on an Epson S40600 and Summa D140 cutter to pair with it. I didn't find any real user experiences with the SG2 and honestly I'd still have the same bottleneck as I'd only be able to cut or print on the Roland. I love my SP540V but I've put a lot of miles on it in the short time I've had it and I just can't keep up with production with an all-in-one system.

I'm really excited to get these in and running...it'll be a such a relief to not be tied here for ungodly hours printing.

Glad you got if figured out, we have been running a Epson S80600 and Graphtec plotter for the last 2 years, it's been great! Anyone who has run a Roland print/cut machine as we did for 12 years prior knows that you can't get accurate cutting on anything over 6 feet. Our graphtec has cut extremely inticate printed designs over 12 feet long spot on.

You will be amazed by how much more productive you are with a stand alone cutter, I can't imagine going back to a print/cut machine.
Even simple stuff like cutting some basic parking signs from vinyl while your printer is printing a wrap is not possible with a print/cut.

Also, with the Epson, don't be afraid to let jobs run overnight, the take-up reel is the most accurate I've ever seen, it will feed 150' rolls straight as when they were out of the box.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Identical experience as CanuckSigns above. Our S80600 and Graphtec are 2.5 years old. Excellent experience with both units, zero major issues. They just do their job, and do it very well.

funnyb0nz

These are less than $9k from Grimco brand new and installed after rebates....They are the best printer on the market hands down.....but there is no way it will fetch more than a few grand being over 2yrs old.
Any links for these at 2K? I am looking at getting a printer, and looking towards used market as this is going to be more of a hobby and for my personal stuff right now and possibly some friends.