• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

equipment question

ChicagoGraphics

Grimco is a great company to buy supplies, I hear there support on fixing printers is not all that good. Id go with Charrette/pitman they are close to Indiana and there tech service is #1
Tey also carry Mimaki, Mutho, and Vutek

Checkers

Not to sound demeaning, but do you realize that solvent printers are a totally different animal when compared to the PC-60?
Also, what type of work do you or are you planning to produce? Are you going to be liquid laminating the prints or are you looking into a laminator? That could be another $5,000+ question.
I would hold off on sublimation and make sure you totally understand and get comfortable the solvent printer first. Sublimation printing can throw you some curves because what you print sometimes isn't what the finished product will look like. And without some color management skills, you can end up wasting a lot of time and money.
I've only used Onyx Postershop for printing, so I don't have anything to compare it to. However, I found it easy to configure and use.

Checkers

skasigns

I don't think you're being demeaning at all. Everybody on this site has been really helpful and nice. We appreciate everyone's opinion.

Yes, we realize that solvent printers are totally different compared to our PC-60. We've been looking at a laminator, but aren't getting one at this time. We've purchased the Graphtec plotter,the Mimaki printer, and went with Flexi software. We don't have the Mimaki yet, but so far we love the Graphtec and Flexi. I'm sure we have a lot to learn, but are willing to give it a try.

Thanks for your replies. Again, we appreciate everybody's input!!

andy

I would say you need the laminator. It isn't a luxury nor is it an optional extra.

If I buy digital print for exterior use it's got to be laminated or else I don't want it. Solvent prints aren't durable enough despite the hype. Lamination protects the print, enhances the UV stability and gives extra peace of mind for the customer and the supplier- do I really want to have to redo a wrap cos I thought I'd save a few pence by not laminating? No!

A lot of print buyers think the same- no lamination no purchase.

mark in tx

No matter what printer you decide on, make sure you understand the maintenance of the printer inside and out.
If a tech comes and sets it up at your shop, make that tech walks you through the manual step by step until you know how to clean and maintain and troubleshoot in your sleep.

Checkers

Contratulations on your purchase. Expect to get really fustrated at times because digital printing can be challenging.
If you don't know about it yet, another site you may want to visit is www.printingdigital.net

Checkers

petepaz

we bought the roland versacamm sp-300
1-price for a print cut technology was great $11,000 with the rip and sign engine(but mostley we use illust. and photoshop
2-30" was a good size to start with easy for one person to handle
3-price....
they all seem to put out roughly the same quality
and whhhho sssayssss eeeco ecco solvents have bad healllth effects
i feel fine no venting needed