• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Estimate is only monthly?

J

john1

Hey guys, To better tune things in i wanted to get estimate software as i've used other sign pricing software with no success (must be me) and estimate is only monthly? This makes it hard for really small guys like myself to get effective software if we aren't bringing in alot.

I thought it used to be a one time fee then you pay for updates or something?

Thanks!

ddarlak

Go Bills!
if you are a really small guy, then why are you using estimate software? estimating a job is the easiest part of the job, it's the no brainer part.

David Wright

Well if you don't want to pay monthly check out the classifieds, I just listed my Estimate program. No lease version, installed on your computer with no expiration.

Doyle

I don't pay monthly for estimate, maybe this is something they started doing with the latest release. I have been using the software for a few years now and my biggest complaint is how they nickel and dime you on the plugins, which have plenty of bugs, then come out with a new release every other year that they want upgrading users to pay damn near full retail price for.

Letterbox Mike

Have you looked at GraphixCalc? Chris is a merchant member here. It's excellent software and very affordable. A lot of members here use it so between Chris and the rest of us you should be able to get all the help/support you'd need with it.

Slamdunkpro

Hey guys, To better tune things in i wanted to get estimate software as i've used other sign pricing software with no success (must be me) and estimate is only monthly? This makes it hard for really small guys like myself to get effective software if we aren't bringing in alot.

I thought it used to be a one time fee then you pay for updates or something?

Thanks!

We've used Estimate from the beginning (and are still using V2, bugs and all)
They went subscription only on the last release and we're shopping for a new system because of it.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
We've used Estimate from the beginning (and are still using V2, bugs and all)
They went subscription only on the last release and we're shopping for a new system because of it.

I have a sick kind of feeling that all software manufacturers are going to go the subscription route...and perhaps even cloud based. We'll have zero control then.

Doyle

Just checked their site, I am surprised at this new model, lowest subscription rate is $39/mo??? I would start shopping if I were you as well. I'm glad that I have the version 2.0 that I don't have to make payments on, but it really grinds my gears when they announce a new version being released and that all support for earlier versions will cease as of XX/XX/XX....

I paid good money for this software (more than once actually after upgrading once) and to no longer receive any support AND rely on them to send me a code to unlock MY software that I paid for is just irritating. Wonder if they will stop sending the codes to users of previous versions as well?

activitydude

We've been asked about going cloud and have pretty much decided to forgo that option for now. It's easier to get LogMeIn than have your database out there for anyone to see or copy. Also, we don't do monthly unless you want to be on support. Once you pay in full for our software it's yours forevermore. Upgrades are provided for with Support Contracts or getting back on support for one year.

Terry Miller
Sales Manager
Activity Software
www.activitysoftware.com

ChiknNutz

We've considered creating a web-based solution for GraphixCALC too, but not as a replacement. The plan, if acted upon, would be to offer both a site-specific option as well as a web-based. This way you can choose which works better for you. Some like a monthly subscription and some like a one-time cost. It is still under consideration, but from what I've seen, most people want a one-time fee, though much of the industry seems to be moving towards web-based monthly subscriptions.

FYI, GraphixCALC customers receive lifetime updates for that major version they are on (i.e. 2.x users get all 2.x updates, regardless of the time-frame). So far, we have only produced 1 major version update since Pro 1.0 was released 12/2005. Point is, major versions take a while so you won't be dinged every little while for an "upgrade" fee. Also, we offer a 25% discount for current users to go to the next major version (i.e. 1.x users get a 25% discount for 2.x). There are no other fees other than a per license fee beyond the initial ones purchased, which are only $50 each.

Locals Find!

I have to say the idea of a monthly rate for software would appeal to me. I like the ability to be able to cancel something at will. That way if something better comes along I am not stuck to some software I just shelled out a few hundred or thousand for that may no longer be relevant for my business. In this economy laying out any large investment is just not feasible in the near term.

Letterbox Mike

I have to say the idea of a monthly rate for software would appeal to me. I like the ability to be able to cancel something at will. That way if something better comes along I am not stuck to some software I just shelled out a few hundred or thousand for that may no longer be relevant for my business. In this economy laying out any large investment is just not feasible in the near term.

I actually agree, I'd prefer spending $150 a month vs. $7k right up front, makes it a little easier to swallow.

Also, I'm not at all opposed to could software or online installations, they have their downfalls, but believe be, running any multi-user program in house across a network has it's issues too, especially Quickbooks which is extremely finicky in a network environment.

Chris, if you ever make GraphixCalc web-based or cloud based, we'll definitely adopt it!

HulkSmash

We've considered creating a web-based solution for GraphixCALC too, but not as a replacement. The plan, if acted upon, would be to offer both a site-specific option as well as a web-based. This way you can choose which works better for you. Some like a monthly subscription and some like a one-time cost. It is still under consideration, but from what I've seen, most people want a one-time fee, though much of the industry seems to be moving towards web-based monthly subscriptions.

FYI, GraphixCALC customers receive lifetime updates for that major version they are on (i.e. 2.x users get all 2.x updates, regardless of the time-frame). So far, we have only produced 1 major version update since Pro 1.0 was released 12/2005. Point is, major versions take a while so you won't be dinged every little while for an "upgrade" fee. Also, we offer a 25% discount for current users to go to the next major version (i.e. 1.x users get a 25% discount for 2.x). There are no other fees other than a per license fee beyond the initial ones purchased, which are only $50 each.
'

Chris where can i find pricing on your software.

W

wetgravy

If you can find a non-month to month of estimate it is a decent program if you have the one that saves invoices to track your customers spending ... i personally prefer not to use a computer to do this. In my home shop i use Volutive (a free invoicing software ... LINK) to do all my invoicing and keeping track of customers quotes ... also does estimating on a limited basis.

If you're a small shop and/or the only one who does the job quoting ... you really don't need estimate. ... stick to knowing exactly how much things cost without a computer.

ChiknNutz

'

Chris where can i find pricing on your software.

Visit my website at: www.graphixcalc.com (also in my signature if you have signatures turned on in your Signs101 profile). I will also be posting a link in the Merchant member section, just haven't done so yet. FYI, I do offer a standing Signs101 discount of $50 off. Please contact me for the coupon code if interested.

ChiknNutz

Chris, is GraphixCALC available for Mac? If not, are there any plans to make it available?

We've definitely considered it, but the vast majority of users are actually on PC. It would require a complete rebuild to port over to Mac and the numbers just aren't there at this point. The only other option you have is to run it with Parallels or VMWare. If we do move to a cloud/web-based solution, that to me would be the way to go as it would then be platform independent.