• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Estimate is only monthly?

Esmae

Chris, do you think you'll be creating a metric option for GraphixCALC in the near future? Is the demand there? Imperial is no good to me.

ChiknNutz

I used to maintain a metric version when it was just an Excel spreadsheet. Even that ended up being a PITA to do, so I dropped it due to effort involved versus ROI. However, having multiple units and currencies has been a consideration for a while, but as it stands today, the demand really isn't all that high. I'm all for implementing something it if it makes sense.

Deaton Design

I have an older version of Estimate that I use, and it does well, but after checking out Chris' software site, Im going to purchase it pretty soon. I dont like doing prices on the fly or off the top of my head anymore, and programs like this make it much easier to make more money.

Esmae

I used to maintain a metric version when it was just an Excel spreadsheet. Even that ended up being a PITA to do, so I dropped it due to effort involved versus ROI. However, having multiple units and currencies has been a consideration for a while, but as it stands today, the demand really isn't all that high. I'm all for implementing something it if it makes sense.

No worries, i'll just hang in there till you hopefully change it over one day. Out of curiosity, how many licenses would you need to sell to make it worth your while? Maybe you could post a poll to see if demand is there, i'm sure plenty of Europeans, Aussies etc will be interested once they trial your program and find out the license cost (vs. Estimate).

ChiknNutz

I did post a poll a couple years ago when I was gathering information for the big upgrade to our 2.0 version. The percentage of Imperial -vs- metric was huge, same with the comparison between PC & Mac. Still, good idea to gather some more info that is more recent to see if the pendulums are swinging differently.

J

john1

I actually have the older version of your software Chris and i don't understand it at all. By that i mean, I want to understand why my customers quotes are what they are.

I found that the software (older version 1.0 i THINK) charges by the psf for alot of things and found it to be confusing. I have been using time + materials (with mark up) and i understand that very well.

Anyone want to shed some light?

Letterbox Mike

John, what don't you understand? Did you input your variables for all of the materials you use correctly? Did you calculate your hourly rate correct? If you get the program and just use it as-is without tweaking the variables and markups to meet your specific needs the prices may not be accurate. It took me about 15-20 hours to dial it in because there is so much detail, but if you get it programmed right, the prices it gives you will be as accurate as they can be.

ChiknNutz

The differences between versions 1 and 2 are many, with 2 adding true Shop Rate pricing. I would encourage you to try 2 just see if it makes more sense. It still carries some of the methodology from 1 for some of the pricing forms, but you can pick and choose which ones you want to use. I did so intentionally to allow for as much flexibility as possible.

J

john1

Well i tried 2 and since i already bought 1 and never really used it im sticking with that.

I have sat here for hours tonight reading your user forums and fooling with it and i'm still lost. It's either too cheap on the pricing or too expensive if you adjust it so it's not so cheap.

Like for example, i have 100% mark up on materials in the inkjet module and the discount set to 40% on a 500 order. For a order i did using my time+mats with mark up i charged $495 so i was trying to dial it in with that which it's good on that quote (literally dead on since i tuned it) but for lets say 500 2x2" decals with the same vinyl and lam it's saying charge $100 which i don't thinks enough

I still really think charging by time it takes for production and materials with mark up is a good way to price even if it does take longer to figure out. All i want is software i can plug values into based on my costs and make a good profit. I do alot of bulk runs so it would be nice to get something that works a bit faster than me using a pencil and paper.

ChiknNutz

Well i tried 2 and since i already bought 1 and never really used it im sticking with that.

I have sat here for hours tonight reading your user forums and fooling with it and i'm still lost. It's either too cheap on the pricing or too expensive if you adjust it so it's not so cheap.

Like for example, i have 100% mark up on materials in the inkjet module and the discount set to 40% on a 500 order. For a order i did using my time+mats with mark up i charged $495 so i was trying to dial it in with that which it's good on that quote (literally dead on since i tuned it) but for lets say 500 2x2" decals with the same vinyl and lam it's saying charge $100 which i don't thinks enough

I still really think charging by time it takes for production and materials with mark up is a good way to price even if it does take longer to figure out. All i want is software i can plug values into based on my costs and make a good profit. I do alot of bulk runs so it would be nice to get something that works a bit faster than me using a pencil and paper.

John,

Without knowing all the details you are including, I have made some reasonable assumptions. In doing so, I have come up with a price of $242.43 for what you've described. I don't know why you are adding a 40% discount, but that would certainly drive your price down considerably. This price is using the Inkjet Digital form in version 2.0.5, which works essentially the same as in 1.0. See attached screenshots.

Attachments

• Inkjet_1.jpg
    Inkjet_1.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Inkjet_2.jpg
    Inkjet_2.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Inkjet_3.jpg
    Inkjet_3.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 95
J

john1

John,

Without knowing all the details you are including, I have made some reasonable assumptions. In doing so, I have come up with a price of $242.43 for what you've described. I don't know why you are adding a 40% discount, but that would certainly drive your price down considerably. This price is using the Inkjet Digital form in version 2.0.5, which works essentially the same as in 1.0. See attached screenshots.

Maybe i have the discounts out of wack. What i was doing was looking at some recent jobs i priced with my method and was trying to tune it to be close to them.

It seems once i get it dialed in for lets say a recent order i've done, it's too cheap for some and too expensive for others.

Here is what i have Chris.

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 117

ChiknNutz

I see what you are talking about now...you have a qty discount of 40% applied. I can see that being acceptable. In the example I posted before, I applied an add'l 40% to the whole job that should NOT be applied. In that case, the job would have priced out at $404.

Rising

if you are a really small guy, then why are you using estimate software? estimating a job is the easiest part of the job, it's the no brainer part.

Are you sure? You must have a very admirable process for doing this part of the job.

Quoting jobs whether you are a one man band or have lots of staff with heavy workload is a time consuming process. How you can classify a small business has no need for such software is ridiculous.

Investing money, time setting up pricing software based on YOUR business is a very good idea and takes "the pain in the ass" time out of pricing signs.

Totally disagree with you on this!

Steve

ddarlak

Go Bills!
maybe my brain has such massive computing power that i think it's the trivial part....

time+materials+markup+what i think i can add+a little more

is my formula.....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Uh-oh….. I have to agree with dd on this one….. must be a full moon. :wink:

If you’re a shop doing $250,00 to $300,000 a year, you should be capable of figuring your quotes, bids, estimates… whatever you call them on a piece of paper, calculator and pencil. Pencil because you’ll probably be erasing things a few times. The quoting software just makes it look nicer. It also might get done a little faster.

For the most part, jobs are like dd said….. time, materials, overhead, profit and taxes. Whether you’re putting a quote together for a $50,000 pylon, a way-finding system in a hospital for $150,000 or a $750 MDO sign with installations….. you have to figure it all in. Once you figure the line items out, you can plug them into your software program [which is what we do] or just write up a quote. The end result is exactly the same.

If you have each and every item possibly available in the market and every screw, nut and bolt figured in along with extenuating circumstances….. a quoting program might work, but I’ll bet everyone still adjusts them to meet certain requirements.

I agree that a software package will do wonders, but I don’t know of a single shop that relies solely on their software and doesn’t do much of the figuring on a separate pad of paper beforehand. Heck, I have all kinds of notes and special line items just for that very reason.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i must confess, it isn't the massive brain power that i use, but a simple excel spreadsheet that has transformed over the years.

first page. i plug in the numbers, the second page, which is the quote page that will print out, gets filled in automatically from the first page. it has a pretty logo on top and looks official. print it to a .pdf an email it away....

no monthly fees needed, just a few hours designing a spreadsheet how you need it. if you not proficient in excel, you will be after a few hours....

must be a full moon.... happy holidays gino

Last edited:

activitydude

maybe my brain has such massive computing power that i think it's the trivial part....

time+materials+markup+what i think i can add+a little more

is my formula.....

I actually agree with ddarlak. If you do all the work and the pricing it would be silly to invest in any more software. If you have several people working for you and you are the only one that knows how to price then software is the way to go. If you are sick or on vacation, well......

I'd like to welcome Colorado Signs for joining our "family" and let all of you know that we have a special going on for Signs 101 customers thru the end of the year. Our normal price for our software is $1995.00 (half down) but from now until the end of the year we are offering Signs 101 people the price of $995.00 (half down)

J

john1

For anyone using graphixcalc now, How are you figuring out what to put under the complexity area? I know the mouseover on that area says add more for large RIP files, tiling prints etc but i really do alot of bulk runs. Any tips?

Slamdunkpro

I've found that most wide format quote systems vastly under charge for large quantities of small items (stickers, magnets, etc) I use Estimate and I ended up setting up a template just for small items.

Drip Dry

I'd like to welcome Colorado Signs for joining our "family" and let all of you know that we have a special going on for Signs 101 customers thru the end of the year. Our normal price for our software is $1995.00 (half down) but from now until the end of the year we are offering Signs 101 people the price of $995.00 (half down)

It's a good deal kids. Software is solid with no bugs that I found in 12 years.
Pay for it once... no added plug-ins to pay for... it's all included.
You can pay for support but not required